Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - Is this still the definitive guide?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Marlow wrote: »
    The extra's are depreciated by 25% per year, so after 4 years, there's not VRT on the extras. I'm not sure, what they do with cars newer than 4 years old, as I've not imported any.

If you don't believe my post, why don't you call the VRO and ask them. They will have to tell you the rules.

/M
    your maths is wrong
    so after year 1=75%, year2 about 55%, year3 41% year4 31%

looking at the vrt calculator..

I don't understand the market value on this car:confused:
    Does that seem right? I'm finding 2003 Skodas cost 3x this.

STATISTICAL CODE: 45088666
    MAKE: SKODA
    MODEL: OCTAVIA 1.9
    VERSION: TDI PD ELEGANCE 105HP LHD 5DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 130
    MILEAGE: 80000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 2003

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €2920
    RATE OF TAX: 16%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €467
    If you have documentary evidence that the CO2 emissions differ from the above, you may enter the CO2 emissions in the box provided and recalculate the VRT by selecting the Recalculate button.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Marlow wrote: »
    I'm not sure, what they do with cars newer than 4 years old, as I've not imported any.
    ootbitb wrote: »
    your maths is wrong
    so after year 1=75%, year2 about 55%, year3 41% year4 31%

What Maths ?

All I wrote was, that I don't know what happens before the car is 4 years old and that after 4 years, extras don't matter anymore.

/M

If you reduce a figure by 25% each year it takes much more than four years to reach almost 0., but maybe I am being pedantic.
    What do you make of the market value of the Skoda?
    Do ROS make mistakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ootbitb wrote: »
    If you reduce a figure by 25% each year it takes much more than four years to reach almost 0., but maybe I am being pedantic.
    What do you make of the market value of the Skoda?
    Do ROS make mistakes?

Pedantic is correct. Because you're assuming, that the 25% reduction is based on what's left. If you take 25% for each year of the original value of the extras (which is what I implied) it's going to be precise 4 years.

In regards to your ROS question, the VRO values are the book value, that they know. This doesn't have to be the market value of the car that you're importing and should you think, the car has a lower market value, you will still have to pay the VRT stated on the site, but can challenge it for a reduction. Could go the other way, too, if you're unlucky.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement