Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Yoga

Options
  • 02-01-2010 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi all

Have always thought I'd like to do yoga. Gonna bite the bullet and give it a go. Googled classes etc and came up with this website:

http://www.yoga-ireland.com/classes/dcity.htm

Anyone have any advice which one is the best for a beginner?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

i would definitly chose hatha as it covers all the basic poses and breathing techniques, some places will tell the advanced yogies to 'advance a pose' by putting your leg higher up when doing the tree for eg and the beginners can stay with the pose they feel comfortable with.
    It's almost better to be in a hatha yoga class that is multi level as there is strong competition element to yoga and you'll want to hold poses longer than others and it can be motivating to see very advanced people.

I love yoga btw myself and am going to start back into it there are some many benefits from it, it helps you relax and sleep better. Great for de-stressing and for balance as well. Good luck with it i hope you find a great place, i love yoga classes with relaxing music the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I've been to Yoga Dublin in Ranelagh a few times and loved it. I did a beginners class which was a challenge but manageable. They also have a new studio in Dundrum. I've been to classes with a couple of the teachers and loved it. www.yogadublin.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smileyme1

I've done yoga for years and have done loads of types and had many different teachers and have learnt something from them all.

Yoga ranges from very much a fitness class to very spiritual and even with the same type of yoga the teacher will make a massive difference to how it is taught. My advice would be start with one that's convenient for you and if you don't like it - don't give up on yoga - just try a different class or teacher.

I don't think Ashtanga is the best to start with - even a beginners class - as it is much easier to get an injury in it as it moves quite fast through the poses. Iyengar is a good place to start as you learn how to do the poses correctly. Enjoy!

'Mind Fit' for 2010
    Positivity & resilience workshop
    www.peoplepotential.ie

Advertisement