Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC's 3 Men On A Boat - Limerick Poetry in Tom Collins...

Options
  • 02-01-2010 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭

...with Dara O'Briain, Griff Rhys Jones and Rory McGrath

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Watched the last 20 minutes of this on TV tonight, they showed Limerick (and all of the country, to be fair) in a really positive light :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Aw was this on BBC? I saw it last week but didnt know when they were showing next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It was on last night at 8. Limerick came across quite well.

Bollocks anyway - thanks Aidric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

according to the tv forum, its repeated on sun night, 11:05 on bbc2. Haven't confirmed it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055783003&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭georgem25

I thought it showed the whole country in a really positive way. Amazingly they got great weather too!

Funny how Dara ran into a pub and grabbed two chairs and got back on the barge, and then decided to head back in for the two pints of Guinness and still make it back on the barge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Limerick looked amazingly beautiful in the autumn sunlight. :) Lovely to see the city portrayed in a positive light for once... Apart from the two local young girls on Thomas Street who were asked what Limerick is famous for, and replied "feuds and drugs." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Sh!t I missed it :mad:. Anyone know where it can be watched online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

boomerang wrote: »
    Limerick looked amazingly beautiful in the autumn sunlight. :) Lovely to see the city portrayed in a positive light for once... Apart from the two local young girls on Thomas Street who were asked what Limerick is famous for, and replied "feuds and drugs." :D

That was really funny :D
    whats limerick famous for...uhmm...dunno...
    whats limerick famous fror....uhhmm..rugby?
    Whats limerick famous for......drugs and feuds...... :D
    Rory McGrath looked scared!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

3.03 mins in - I think someone didn't quite get the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Jigga wrote: »
    Sh!t I missed it :mad:. Anyone know where it can be watched online?

@Jigga,

Episode 2 (featuring limerick) will be shown again on BBC2 @11.05pm next Friday 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

boomerang wrote: »
    Limerick looked amazingly beautiful in the autumn sunlight. :) Lovely to see the city portrayed in a positive light for once...

It looked great in Mattie , Pat Shorts Dectective Program , as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Those two girls really say it all about this city. I know they probably weren't trying to be smart or anything but really to think that is what they came out with is mortifying. I hope somebody has since pointed out to them some of the things they should have said instead of "drugs and feuds".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

RonMexico wrote: »
    Those two girls really say it all about this city. I know they probably weren't trying to be smart or anything but really to think that is what they came out with is mortifying. I hope somebody has since pointed out to them some of the things they should have said instead of "drugs and feuds".

I'd just hate to be the principal of Colaiste Chiarain, one Mr Noel P Malone, who (I know) would faint if he saw these young students in their uniform with this mortifying statement. But in their defense, as I think I recognise one of them (lovely kid) from the Garryowen area - perhaps it's what THEY see, and are exposed to, in their daily lives.

And, no, I'm not bashing Garryowen - as I myself and my extended family are all from the area. It's sadly what goes on in many of this city's neighbourhoods (drugs) and what the press seems insistent on regurgitating year on year (feuds). And the topic of many a lunch break out in Croom I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭phog

Hooked wrote: »
    I'd just hate to be the principal of Colaiste Chiarain, one Mr Noel P Malone, who (I know) would faint if he saw these young students in their uniform with this mortifying statement. But in their defense, as I think I recognise one of them (lovely kid) from the Garryowen area - perhaps it's what THEY see, and are exposed to, in their daily lives.

And, no, I'm not bashing Garryowen - as I myself and my extended family are all from the area. It's sadly what goes on in many of this city's neighbourhoods (drugs) and what the press seems insistent on regurgitating year on year (feuds). And the topic of many a lunch break out in Croom I'm sure!

or sadly maybe it's what they read on most of the threads in this forum, I've never such a group of knockers as the majority that post here, everything in Limerick is bad according to them, never look on the bright side or try and see the positives in out city.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

lockman wrote: »
    @Jigga,

Episode 2 (featuring limerick) will be shown again on BBC2 @11.05pm next Friday 8th

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

They were asked a question and they answered it correectly. Why should they have lied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

They were asked a question and they answered it correectly. Why should they have lied?

Nobody is saying they should have lied but they could have come up with something more positive.

MrFireBox wrote: »
    Nobody is saying they should have lied but they could have come up with something more positive.
    Why? It was not their job to promote the place. They were just giving what they thought was an honest answer.

• Advertisement

Why? It was not their job to promote the place.

Thats exactly the attitude that contributes to Limerick having a bad name. Limerick people should try and promote the place and speak of it in a more positive fashion. It would benefit everyone and costs nothing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They were asked a question and they answered it correectly.

Not really, they were asked what is Limerick famous for by somebody from the BBC. Almost nobody in Britain has a clue about what is reported in Irish news. If you tell most people here you are from Limerick they haven't the slightest clue where you are talking about. If they haven't got family from nearby or visited in the past you have to give them some point of reference they are familiar with. You could tell a Harry Potter fan it is the city the original Dumbledore comes from, for example.

The thing which Limerick is most famous for to anyone from the BBC is Terry Wogan.:p

Will u get your head out of your arse!
    They were asked whats Limerick most famous for....and nationally, not internationally, but nationally that IS what Limerick is most famous for unfortunately.
    They were dead right....what do you think, we are all duty bound to be some kinda Bord Failte rep when ever a non Limerick person asks us about town..???

Add to that they were teenagers and prob think Limerick's image is kinda cool....they will grow out of it ....

But to have a go at them over it is ridiculous.

Come in out of the precious fog Ron :rolleyes:

iguana wrote: »
    Not really, they were asked what is Limerick famous for by somebody from the BBC. Almost nobody in Britain has a clue about what is reported in Irish news. If you tell most people here you are from Limerick they haven't the slightest clue where you are talking about. If they haven't got family from nearby or visited in the past you have to give them some point of reference they are familiar with. You could tell a Harry Potter fan it is the city the original Dumbledore comes from, for example.

The thing which Limerick is most famous for to anyone from the BBC is Terry Wogan.:p

They weren't asked 'what is Limerick most famous for in the UK'though. They were school girls, on the spot giving an honest and correct answer. I doubt they even know who Terry Wogan is.

They weren't asked 'what is Limerick most famous for in the UK'though. They were school girls, on the spot giving an honest and correct answer. I doubt they even know who Terry Wogan is.

In that case the honest answer is "Nothing. Limerick is not famous." Because Limerick is not famous for anything really.

And only people who don't watch British tv don't know who Terry Wogan is, not a category most Irish teenagers fall into. He has a game show, still heads up Children in Need and up until last year the Eurovision. They may not know he is from Limerick or watch his shows but they would know of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The five line poem with the AABBA rhyming pattern is known all over the world. People all across the world would be definitely have awareness of a city in Ireland by the same name.

Liam79 wrote: »
    Will u get your head out of your arse!
    They were asked whats Limerick most famous for....and nationally, not internationally, but nationally that IS what Limerick is most famous for unfortunately.
    They were dead right....what do you think, we are all duty bound to be some kinda Bord Failte rep when ever a non Limerick person asks us about town..???

Add to that they were teenagers and prob think Limerick's image is kinda cool....they will grow out of it ....

But to have a go at them over it is ridiculous.

Come in out of the precious fog Ron :rolleyes:

Liam I don't remember Rory McGrath asking them "What is Limerick famous for nationally?".

There is no need to be so negative about our city, it only contributes to our bad "Perceived Image".

It has its issues but the good far outweighs the bad.

MrFireBox wrote: »
    Liam I don't remember Rory McGrath asking them "What is Limerick famous for nationally?".

There is no need to be so negative about our city, it only contributes to our bad "Perceived Image".

It has its issues but the good far outweighs the bad.

Ok so just so I understand you properly.....

You think when those two teenage girls were approached on the street with a camera in their face by a celeb, and asked with a grin, whats Limerick most famous for....on the spot.........

you think they should have some moral obligation to stop and say to themselves "hey i better portray my city in a positive light here and not being shame and disgust on my people" .........

:rolleyes:

ps...what time and where do the "defend limerick at all costs to all outsiders" committee meet lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    @Jigga,

Bump

Thanks - alarm set on phone for it - not going to miss it this time!

• Advertisement

Liam79 wrote: »
    Ok so just so I understand you properly.....

You think when those two teenage girls were approached on the street with a camera in their face by a celeb, and asked with a grin, whats Limerick most famous for....on the spot.........

You know tv isn't actually made like that right? What you describe is against the law. The BBC standard practice when making a vox pop is to have a researcher/producer approach the person they want to show. They describe what the show is and what they are likely to be asked, then they have them sign clearance forms for their image to be transmitted. It's possible as this is a gentle comedy that they were approached with the camera first but it's not usual BBC procedure.

I also notice that you thanked a post which disputes that the girls would know who Terry Wogan is, yet you think they would see Rory McGrath as a celebrity? I like McGrath, he and Gary Lineker had great chemistry and their constant cheating on TTIAO was good fun. But he's not exactly a celebrity and hardly someone who a couple of teenage girls would be stunned by.

Advertisement