Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im in work and we have trucks in Portlaoise. They are all grounded as they cant get around the county

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Good thread guys,thanks for the info. looks like the roads are in a bad way and Saturday could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Was due to drive to Galway yesterday evening but thought the best of it due to the weather - delighted I made that decision or I never would have got home!

Was due to drive to Gorey this afternoon from Dublin - once again thought the better of it, and delighted I have! Wouldn't have got very far and it is supposed to be LETHAL in that area at the moment. Plus the main N11 is terrible too I hear.

So here I am stuck in Dalkey with cabin fever - being on the coast we rarely get snow that sticks, and what do we get last night? Beautiful snow that has now thawed and frozen/been compacted. Every road around this town is like an ice rink - rock solid. Decided to make a break for it and try to drive to Donnybrook to visit someone - got as far as the end of Hyde road and turned around!

I am extremely cautious on this ice and only lost grip once.. but the eejits driving around these ice rink roads too fast and without any caution, I was more terrified of them! Really don't fancy the idea of someone slamming into me - so gave up and am back at home.

In conclusion- the roads all around Dalkey, Killiney, Dun Laoghaire are solid ice rinks - people are mad to try to go anywhere on them. I imagine they will only get worse overnight and over the next few days. Put on your walking boots!

No sign of salt, gritters, anything. It is a sham! Reports are that theyve run out of salt reserves for the whole country? It is only a matter of time before somebody is killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Apparently 8,000 tonnes of salt coming into Limerick on Tuesday, until then most of connacht is low on supplies. That was on RTÉ 2 days ago so it's gonna be slippy over the weekend!

Nobody should be killed or injured as a result of the weather if people drive sensibly on the ice. That means

DO NOT OVERTAKE
    DO NOT TAILGATE
    DO NOT Think you are invincible because you have a jeep or 4WD vehicle
    DONT FLASH OR BEEP because people are going slowly
    USE your indicators and if it's snowing heavily, foglights front and rear, and finally
    DONT be a fúcking hero.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

The roads around by nutgrove shopping centre are like skating rings, literally solid ice on some stretches. Driving up around the hill at the back of the shopping centre passed the staff car parks I got stuck and had to reverse cautiously back down the hill.....:confused: it was a no go area unless you had a 4WD.. So anyone local around there be warned leave your car in the drive Because I promise you your going to get stuck. My volvo with stability control, traction control etc could not do it and my tyres were pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭herbiemcc

Does anybody know what the chances are of SDCC gritting roads in the Lucan area? Looks like it'll be a 3 mile walk to work in the morning as the slushy snow is bound to freeze overnight.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Have to drive to Clifden on Monday morning. Hoping that the roads will be ok by then

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is utterly ridiculous. :confused:

Never heard the like...

The back/side roads here are totally untouched and thick ice.
    Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Sadly the Emergency Planning Committee are on holidays at the moment and won't return to work until next week at the earliest...only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

just got back from North Donegal via the the main Galway to Derry road. The main roads all the way were treated.
    I just had to go on one back road(around gweedore) which had 4 inches of ice on it.
    By the way Benbulben and the Bluestacks looked fantastic in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

1 Celsius in Dundalk and all the roads are fine, very driveable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

The roads around Gorey are in a very bad way.....no amount of grit is going to help them.
    The old N11 is like glass with oil and washing up liquid on it...
    Side roads are beyond belief.
    I saw lots of abandoned cars on various hills in the area.
    I have a proper 4x4 and although i can get up the hills no problem, its still inposible to get traction on downhills or roads with alot of camber.
    I didnt get out of 2nd 3rd gear all day, stayed under 40kmh....i was suprised how many people overtook me (or am i just to cautious???)
    I even got flashed at one stage:eek:

I did notice a few car hole shapes in ditches.

If you dont need to go out.....DONT
    I have to travel the woodenbridge/aughrim road tomorow...is that in Sh!te also?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Has the food hoarding begun yet ? :D

On a serious note, I'm sure deliveries to shops and supermarkets could be affected over the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Anyone got any info on the Dublin to Monaghan routes?

Cabinteely to Wexford possible tomorrow midday you reckon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

They've taken the roads in and stored them away for the night.
    :D

Cabinteely to Wexford possible tomorrow midday you reckon ?
    Once you get down onto the n11/m11 southbound I hear it's fine this evening and gritted well.
    Make sure you get back before dark.

However this morning the Gorey bypass and the Arklow one [the only 2 I saw] were skating rinks with 2 or 3 inches of ice and snow on them hard and slippy.
    That was because they didn't get enough grit and there wasnt enough over night traffic on them and obviously they both suffered a "surprise" heavy snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭patrickc

have to go Carlow-Mitchelstown-Tullamore-Carlow tomorrow.

going to go main roads all the way, carlow to Kilkenny to Clonmel , and onto M8, then M8/N8 to portlaoise and across to Tullamore, and then back to Carlow via N80 to Carlow.

anyone do any of these roads today, or know what there to be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

eigrod wrote: »
    Has the food hoarding begun yet ? :D

On a serious note, I'm sure deliveries to shops and supermarkets could be affected over the coming days.

lol I did a big grocery shop on Wednesday afternoon to stock up as I knew weather would be a disaster. Think we've got enough supplies now to last us til next Thurs or so woohoo! Although have to drive to work on Monday, ugh dreading the journey - hope the roads are ok by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

South Dublin is crazy, the council havnt gritted any of the roads, just back in the door and I have to go into work tommorow and I am not looking forward to it. When this freezes tonight tommorow is going to be scary.
    In donegal town on Christmas morning went to see if the centra beside lidl was open and saw that the road to the council office had been gritted even though they are not back to work till this week, but the fire station had none out side it that is on the same road. It would have taken 2 minutes to reverse the truck in their yard spread some grit and turn around and drive back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I came up from Portlaoise to Dublin this evening at about 6 and the M7 was okay between there and Monasterevin - cars travelling approx 60-70km/h - between Monasterevin and Naas it was very bad - cars only going 40km/h. Large build up of snow on the roads - didnt really look like they were treated in that stretch. Between Naas and Dublin they were okay as was the M50. M50-N4 sliproad was ridiculous - completely untreated and incredibly slippy as was the whole N4. Be careful out there folks. Arriving late is better than not arriving at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

dbyrne wrote: »
    In donegal town on Christmas morning went to see if the centra beside lidl was open and saw that the road to the council office had been gritted even though they are not back to work till this week, but the fire station had none out side it that is on the same road. It would have taken 2 minutes to reverse the truck in their yard spread some grit and turn around and drive back out.

Yeah noticed that myself. Lidl carpark like and ice rink too. Centra carpark clear. Main road through Barnesnore Gap gritted but still to take great care. All side roads round Donegal Town passable with great deal of care. Estates etc, no go areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Report here on rte.ie that may be of assistance.
    Severe disruption has been caused to air and road transport by deteriorating weather.

Road temperatures on all national routes are well below zero. The N5 Dublin/Westport Rd at Charlestown is experiencing temperatureas of -5.7°C.

Motorists in many parts of Leinster are advised not to travel, unless absolutely necessary. The warnings also extend to Roscommon and Galway. Secondary routes in all areas are treacherous and should be avoided.

Sean O'Neill from the National Roads Authority is advising motorists to take major routes where possible when travelling as they are being gritted.

He said motorists should also travel in the slow lane as barriers on the east-west motorways are blocking the sunlight and preventing it from melting the ice in the fast lanes.

Road closures

In Laois, The Mountrath to Clonaslee Rd, known locally as the 'Cut Road' is impassable due to snow and ice. Nearby, the Kinnitty Mountain roads in Co. Offaly are also impassable. There is severe ice on the M7 in both directions around Portlaoise.

In Westmeath the gardaí say conditions are treacherous on the M4 Sligo/Dublin Rd and ramps between Mullingar and J8 Kilcock. It is extremely icy on the M6 between Tyrellspass and Rochfortbridge.

In Carlow it is reported to be very icy on the N80 Portlaoise/Wexford Rd particularly on the outskirts of Carlow town with freezing fog to contend with.

In Meath, conditions in Oldcastle are treacherous. The N3 outside Navan and Kells is icy. There is ice on the N2 between Slane and Ashbourne and on the Ashbourne Bypass.

In Kildare, The M7 is extremely dangerous between J13 Kildare and J9 Naas North. Motorists should travel in the left lane.

In Wexford, conditions in Gorey and Wexford town are extremely slippery. Avoid the Blackwater/Wexford Rd(R741). The N11 around Wexford is treacherous, particularly at Ferrycarrig.

In Wicklow, it is extremely icy on the N11, motorists are urged to use the left lane, as conditions are very icy in the right lane and treacherous in Wicklow town.

Wicklow and Sally Gap is impassable due to snow and ice as is the Glencree area.

In Galway there are very icy conditions throughout the county in Galway city Taylors Hill is treacherous.

All roads around Barna are extremely treacherous due to ice.

There is black ice on the N65 Portumna/Borrisokane Rd and on the Portumna/Birr Rd (R489).

In Mayo there are dangerous driving conditions on the N5 Castlebar/Swinford Rd at Bohola.

Westport, Castlebar and Ballina in particular on secondary routes have very poor driving conditions.

In Sligo it is icy around Ballymote, in particular on the Riverstown and Castlebaldwin Roads.

In Roscommon, roads throughout Castlerea are hazardous and it is also icy on the Boyle/Gorteen Rd.

In Cavan, caution is advised when driving through Bailieborough due to extremely icy roads.

In Cork it is very icy on the Blarney/Ballincollig Rd in Douglas and around Castletreasure.

There are icy conditions around Timoleague,Kilbrittain and also around Midleton.

The Old Youghal Rd is closed between New Rd and Gordon's Hill junction due to icy conditions.

In Limerick there are reports of freezing fog on the N24 Tipperary/Limerick Rd approaching Limerick city, and on the N18 between Limerick and Shannon.

In Kerry, patches of freezing fog around Killarney and on the N21 Castleisland/Abbeyfeale Rd is very slippery.

In Clare, freezing fog has resulted in extremely poor visibilty around Shannon.

In Dublin, the N4 is icy both ways from the SCR junction to the Chapelizod Bypass.

The slip road at J3 Lucan is also very slippery. The Strawberry Beds and Tinkers Hill are impassable due to icy conditions. Hillcrest Rd is extremely icy.

On Bluebell Ave at the junction with Kylemore Rd road conditions are dangerous.

Conditions on Brookfield Rd in Kilmainham are poor. Island Bridge, Chapelizod and Parkgate Street gates are closed into the Phoenix Park due to extremely icy conditions. Knockmaroon Hill is also closed due to ice.

The Raheny Rd is extremely dangerous, particularly at the Hill Top Shopping Centre

Motorists are advised to avoid Tonligee Rd and also the Howth Rd at Sybill Hill.

Gardaí are warning of icy conditions on Griffith Avenue.

There are ice patches on the Malahide and Yellow Walls Rd.

Motorists are advised to continue to drive with extreme care on the M50 southbound from J13 Ballinteer to the M11.

In Newtown Park Avenue getting onto the N11 is impassable due to ice. Motorists have been reporting extremely icy conditions on the N11, in particular northbound at Foxrock.

The AA says Glenageary Rd Lower is impassable due to ice. There are reports of black ice on Seapoint Avenue in Blackrock.

There are extremely poor conditions on Kill Avenue.

Buses

Dublin Bus services will not be running on any routes for the remainder of the day due to the road conditions. This includes nitelink services.

All inter-city services from Dublin are now operating, apart from Dublin-Rosslare and Dublin-New Ross which are not operating. Dublin-Clonmel services are under review.

There is also disruption to some city services in Cork where diversions are in place.

Flights

Some flights at Dublin Airport are still being delayed because of the bad weather.

Delays of between 30-40 minutes and a few hours are being experienced.

Passengers are advised to contact their airline in advance of travelling.

There are no major delays at Cork, Shannon or Knock.

Trains running as normal

All Iarnród Éireann services are now running to schedule.

Overnight weather conditions

A widespread hard frost is expected tonight.

Temperatures are expected to fall between 0 and -7C and could go as low as -10C in sheltered areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The N81(Main road through Tallaght) is for the most part, clear.
    Surrounding roads, Tallaght village and the Belgard Road are all covered by a layer of either snow or black ice. I saw a good few people sliding about out there, drive with care, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blonde27

Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone know what that roads through Longford/Westmeath are like? Have to travel to Athlone via Longford over the weekend.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Sadly the Emergency Planning Committee are on holidays at the moment and won't return to work until next week at the earliest...only in Ireland :rolleyes:

I heard this and have no idea if it is true. The N7/N9 (the Dublin-Cork one, always get them mixed up:o) going through Tipperary - the road wasn't salted because there is a dispute between Tipperary CC and the NRA over funding for salting the roads. NRA are refusing to fund the Tipp CC for salting and the County Council are refusing to salt the motorway until they are paid.
    My cousin was driving to Cork on Xmas day and saw 8 crashes on the way - cars losing control.

Please someone tell me this could not possibly be true. Is there any chance that something similar happened with the condition of M4/M6 that they were unsalted.

A not nice comment on our esteem leadership :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Our government need to be strung up by the short and curlies

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone who does that flashing people lark in this sort of weather should be arrested and done for dangerous driving. Happened to me last night (was dangerously overtaken and tailgated for a bit) and it's bloody distracting in conditions that need all your concentration.

i totally agree.... bloody muppets...:mad: and then they'll cause an accident and prob survive wen the one who drives safe ends up criticul or dead and then it's too late... pity these muppets got there license in the 1st place:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Lets assume the whole place is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Out the front of my house is like a skating ring (were's the grit ?), I imagine the roads are just as bad if not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Drove from Maynooth to Dublin Airport via M4 and M50 between 3am and 5am this morning. Used all the wheels on a 4X4 and maintained an average speed of 60Kmph. There was some traffic on the road but I never had to break (just decelarated instead). The journey was fine and only took 35 minutes. There were a few drivers out there still doing 100Kmph+

The M4 from Maynooth was fine in the left lane while the overtaking lane looked hazardous to me. The Celbridge and Leixlip slips didn't look the maywest either. (temp -3)

At Lucan, into 3 lanes, the outer lane was a no go with the middle lane being the best. (-3)

The slip onto the M50 looked a bit daunting but I decelarated down onto it and it was fine. (-2)

Toll area was fine. Outer lane of 3 was poor and, when it became a 2 lane road, the left lane was best. Driving around the airport was grand(-1). The slips on the M50 (Blanch, Ballymun, etc.) didn't look great at all.

The return journey was a similar story onthe M50. I was worried about the exit onto the N4 at Liffey Valley but this proved to be ok (though I took it very slowly going up it).

Only the middle lane out to Lucan really felt usable and, the left lane on the M4 back to Maynooth.

Thanks to all those who have posted on the weather and the driving conditions over the last week. I've been using it daily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭herbiemcc

Just back from dropping g'friend into work. I'm in the Lucan area and it's passable. Still no gritters out but if you keep under 30kph it's ok. The fonthill road near liffey valley looked gritted (although i think it was just from heavier use) but the rest is icy/snowy. There is a bit of grip though as there wasn't any more snow last night. When we came back up to dublin yesterday evening through the slushy wetness I thought when -5 deg came it'd be completely undrivable this morning but with a lot of care and leaving biiiiiiiiig gaps between (yes that's to you the Focus who was right up my a**e then overtook me) it's 'ok'.

Advertisement