Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a pilot

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cooter

well thats exactly it, it is a dream job and now doing the research to spend that type of money on training is a little over the top to not even be garanteed a job at the end of it and even after you pay to do your type rating with the likes of ryanair!
    Ok have looked at the given sites and seems plenty of work flyin a330's and 737's in asia, india ect but to get up to those type of hours is going to be impossible.
    Think the misses was more along the lines of oz or kiwi land anyhow.
    On your advice I Think i'll just do the ppl just for the love of flying and hope i see a change in the market for pilots head for a high again then maybe go for the cpl and a type rating and fingers crossed! Better still win the lotto ey!! lmao
    what are the main things to look for to see if the job market in the industry is increasing??
    would it be things like overall type hours dropping ect or will it be more obvious than that??
    e.g word of mouth around the airfields?

ok in the trees how would ya know? what are the main signs visable by the public?
    If i where to do this, timing would have to be spot on training getting cpl then get and pay for a type rating i would have to start paying work immediately.
    Would there be a headline in the papers pilots needed?
    I think speculation right now is not for me i'd need to be more sure of the market and pay before i lept into this
    only because i would be putting myself in debt for it and i ain't single so more to think about than what i want but if an oppertunity did come about i'd be doin it like a bullet. It is the job for me but just can't afford the hours and to keep recent while waiting for the job market to pick up.
    i'd have to go straight to paying off debt!!

I've gotten my info guys that i've needed to make my decission thank you so much and i'm glad i haven't jumped head first into a pile of debt though probably would have enjoyed the training up to it!
    any advice about how to keep an eye on the market of jobs for pilots will be put into affect and i hope to be doin my ppl soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Starting with a PPL is a good idea. For one thing it will soon become obvious if flying isn't for you or indeed quite the opposite. Start building your hours. As for the job market check in with PPRuNe on their job forums. When it picks up it will be obvious. As will word of mouth at airfields. When Instructors begin to move onto the airlines in numbers as happened in previous years then you know the time has come.

Once your are involved in the flying scene you can make contacts and keep in touch with developments. That how most people do it. When you feel the time is right you start full time training for the CPL/Multi/IR etc.

A lot of people have made the mistake of believing the hype of certain flying schools. 'Become an airline pilot in a year and a half!' Then they go on about how many of their graduates work for airlines all over the world as if they placed them. Well they were hardly going to find work as chefs or plumbers after pilot training. Then again one or two probably went back to cheffing and plumbing simply because to the lack of jobs in flying.

As for jobs, well Australia and New Zealand have plenty of their own pilots. Same for the US and Canada.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but what about helicopter piloting? Many jobs in that arena?

No, certainly not in Ireland anymore. Abroad yes, particularly where offshore oil is drilled. But in that sphere you are competing with highly trained and highly experienced military pilots. Also it's considerably more expense to train as a helicopter pilot. But people have managed it so like everything if you throw enough money time and dedication at it. You can succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

xflyer wrote: »
    Starting with a PPL is a good idea. For one thing it will soon become obvious if flying isn't for you or indeed quite the opposite. Start building your hours. As for the job market check in with PPRuNe on their job forums. When it picks up it will be obvious. As will word of mouth at airfields. When Instructors begin to move onto the airlines in numbers as happened in previous years then you know the time has come.

Once your are involved in the flying scene you can make contacts and keep in touch with developments. That how most people do it. When you feel the time is right you start full time training for the CPL/Multi/IR etc.

A lot of people have made the mistake of believing the hype of certain flying schools. 'Become an airline pilot in a year and a half!' Then they go on about how many of their graduates work for airlines all over the world as if they placed them. Well they were hardly going to find work as chefs or plumbers after pilot training. Then again one or two probably went back to cheffing and plumbing simply because to the lack of jobs in flying.

I always say the same few things on these threads.
    Start with full medical to check if you can actually make the grade.
    Then do PPL and then start hour building.
    Have a profession/trade to fall back on and ideally one where you can do contract work that allows you to go modullar route, where you are never going hugely into debt.
    Yes it takes longer than turning up at FTE in Jerez, but you aren't saddled with huge debts when you start your very first job whenever that is.

Oh and never pay huge amount up front to any flight school and never believe the marketing even though it is telling you what you want to hear.

Of course all of the above doesn't matter if you have rich understanding parents. :rolleyes:
    As for jobs, well Australia and New Zealand have plenty of their own pilots. Same for the US and Canada.

Very true, these countries produce lots of their own who are more than willing to take the often non glamourous bad paying jobs.
    Of course flying an old Beaver on floats in crap weather with smelly passengers/ smelly freight for low pay may not be quiet the dream job, but it is real flying.
    I would say Canada, Oz and New Zealand offer some of the best flying in the world.
    ... Also it's considerably more expense to train as a helicopter pilot. But people have managed it so like everything if you throw enough money time and dedication at it. You can succeed.

Sorry couldn't resist this. :o

How do end up with a small fortune from aviation ?

Start with a big fortune. :D:D

• Advertisement

Just noticed that the National Flight Centre has just announced a fully integrated course for €65,000. This appears to be an actual integrated course as opposed to an 'integrated' modular course.

I throw it out there without any suggestion as to whether it's good bad or indifferent. They will only take 8 students at a time and it's all in Ireland.

They specifically state they can't guarantee a job but they are heavily connected to Ryanair. It would be a shock if graduates didn't at least get an interview.

It looks value for money. But I must say the first 8 will be the guinea pigs for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

They specifically state they can't guarantee a job but they are heavily connected to Ryanair. It would be a shock if graduates didn't at least get an interview.

I wouldn't beleive that;)

You're right of course;) That would never happen!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EI-A330

Hi just wondering has anybody done a skills assesment with fte europe?
    if so whats the assesment like? is it anything like the one you do at ptc?thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

So whats the medical for a PPL? class 2, where to get it? and how much?

• Advertisement
Advertisement