Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superstar of the Week - Week 2 - Bryan Danielson *CONTAINS NXT SPOILERS*

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

e5d73157c3_52579114_o2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No opinion on the man yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Danielson was ROH’s biggest star and biggest draw and i hope he does well in the WWE.

I just hope Vince and the writers dont stick him with a terrible gimmick he is not the best on the mic but in the ring he is superb after all he is not dubbed the moniker "The Best Wrestler in the World" for nothing.

Cena V Danielson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf-kiUcAdVI

I would love to see him feud with HBK or Jericho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I don't have time to write anything up right now- BUT, I wrote this back last March, maybe it'll generate some thoughts on someone I consider to be arguably the best all-round package in the business today.
    So, I was watching Ring of Honor’s Bound By Hate DVD recently (a good purchase I should point out, and one of their best from the latter portion of last year), and a thought occurred to me as Bryan Danielson tussled with Tyler Black, and Kenny Omega in a triple threat match.

That was, that the WWE really, really, could do with this guy on their roster. And yes, Bryan did cut a promo at last weekend’s television tapings for the crowd that alluded to the fact that he may leave/retire, at some point in the near future. If this were to transpire, it would be a horrible shame, and we’d be robbed of perhaps Ring of Honor’s all-time MVP.
    Regardless, if he is to remain in the business for a lengthy period yet, chances are he will head elsewhere sooner, rather than later.
    The WWE have clearly already expressed interest… the former ROH World Champion has worked noteworthy dark matches at Raw tapings, including a rare occasion where he went over a member of the WWE roster. According to reports, observers from the company were impressed by Dragon’s WWE efforts, and when his contract with his current employers is up, I’m confident eye-brows will be raised.

But do they understand his true value? Do they realise that while, yes, he would be a worthwhile contributor to the roster, he could be so much more than a “good hand”? Has the thought crossed the mind of any of the big-wigs that this guy isn’t just what they want, but what they need?
    Since Chris Benoit passed, there has been a gaping chasm in the WWE roster that the company has failed to fill. They are truly the deepest talent roster in North America, yet they lack someone who had the combined attributes of the “Rabid Wolverine”, or a modern day “Dynamite Kid”, and someone who has the personality, and smarts to go just as far. Here are five reasons they “need” him.

1. All-Round Skills
    Bryan Danielson’s versatility in the ring has to be seen to be believed. I’ve followed his work closely over the past 5 years, and I’ve witnessed all manner of contrasting styles, and advancements in ability in that time. He can literally do it all.
    Grounded mat-work? Yep. Not just of a solid standard mind… the guy is capable of a whole host of moves, sequences, reversals, and can take in the various wrestling cultures in the process. High-flying? He’s got that too. Ever seen this guy Springboard straight into the fourth row? Strong-style stiffness? Not my favourite brand of action, but Dragon can hold his own with the heavyweights and exchange impressive strikes. Street fights and Hardcore? Cripes, you need to check out his hard-hitting wars with Takeshi Morishima, if you doubt he has the nards to hold his own in that environment. Can he sell? You bet. Work a body part? Oh yes. What about tell a story? You’d know he can do this as well as anybody out there, if you’ve seen his epic battle with Colt Cabana from Gut Check.
    In short, Dragon isn’t a master of any one type of pro-wrestling; he’s uniquely an expert in them all. In Stamford, that means he’s capable of working with anyone, and getting a result. Since Benoit died, and to a lesser extent, Kurt Angle, err, left, they haven’t had anyone with that degree of versatility in the ring.

2. Believability and Youth
    The thing about younger wrestlers in the business, is that a lot of them lack a dimension of reality in their performance. For all his faults, Triple H is one guy who conveys an utterly believably persona, and never (except when he’s doing the DX shtick) allows the audience to lose their suspension of disbelief. In the ring, Chris Benoit was even better at this, and Dragon follows the same pattern, in the sense that he’s always convincing.
    American Dragon brings the aggression, and intensity of Benoit, Dynamite Kid, etc, without being lumbered with the genuine issues, and drug problems that destroyed those men. Davey Richards communicates a similar intensity, but he’s far from as well-rounded as Dragon. Bryan truly understands the intricacies of making whatever character he’s portraying, believable for the fans. In the ring, he commits 100 per cent to delivering this, and that is definitely something the WWE could with having more of. It’s one of the reasons why Jeff Hardy is so popular – and it’s one of the key flaws in John Cena’s game, that has led to such resentment amongst the spectators old enough to differentiate between performance and reality. I get a strong inclination towards believing that many of the young talent are learning from the wrong role models these days, and that’s why so many Koslov’s are being churned out.

3. Positive Role Model
    Danielson’s a person from whom parents have little to fear. He’s not a drinker, and certainly not a drug taker. Physically, he looks to be in shape, and works out, but clearly could not be accused of being fond of the ol’ bicep enhancers. A well-read, intelligent speaker to boot, but one who isn’t renowned for peeving people off in the manner that some of his peers are (ahem, CM Punk).

4. Crowd Pleasing Spots
    On television, sometimes it’s hugely important to have a hook, a quirk, or a characteristic that makes you stand out from the pack. Obviously, this is tricky in wrestling, therefore cleverly defining moves and trademarks that are your own, is of great benefit. While detractors may see Bryan Danielson and the other ROH guys as bland performers who sprint through their work, they’re ignoring the intelligence and consideration behind his matches.
    Dragon completely entertains the crowd, and without simplifying or compromising his art, works spots that elicit great reaction. His “I have till …5!” complaint garners huge reactions, thanks to its gentle rekindling of an innocent era in wrestling. His Surfboard stretch spot is a playful surprise that trades on how inherently obvious the “surprise” conclusion of it is. And his Elbow strikes cash in on the public’s current appreciation for MMA, and the potential for finishes coming suddenly, and viciously. Who in ROH has better established a key bunch of individual moves that they can pull out when appropriate, but can leave behind any time a match does not call for their use?

5. Microphone skills
    Contrary to popular belief, Dragon does possess a wonderful character, and can communicate this on the stick. In fact, this is contradictory to much of what you’ll hear about ROH in general- that it’s crammed full of guys who can’t talk. Dragon is one of the best on the roster though. He can do comedy, and offers quick-witted banter with the crowd, while he also cuts serious promos with the best. He’s played the cocky heel to the letter previously, and is impressive selling it on the mic, but his real talent lies in transforming the meat-and-potatoes babyface into something that this century’s fans can relate to.

In short, I’d absolutely friggin’ love to see Bryan Danielson arrive in the WWE, and witness the chance to see this guy bring his art to a wider audience. Sure, some will lament the gaping chasm his loss would mean for ROH, but in reality, how much more can he do there anyway? And for how much longer can his body be expected to live up to the sometimes selfish demands of the Ring of Honor fan base?

But only, and I strongly emphasise only, if the WWE can both see his true value, and allow him to exhibit this in full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JP Liz wrote: »

I just hope Vince and the writers dont stick him with a terrible gimmick he is not the best on the mic but in the ring he is superb after all he is not dubbed the moniker "The Best Wrestler in the World" for nothing.

I am too sore to type much here, but Danielsons mic work is actually very good.

Watched his match from Driven Vs KENTA earlier. Incredible stuff.

I am a hopeless mark for Dragon, so will have more musings once I am somewhat healthy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The greatest wrestler in the world by quite some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I love Bryan Danielson; I think he's fantastic (although I think Davey Richards and KENNNNTAAAAAA have had more outstanding matches this year) but why is he Superstar of the Week? He's hasn't been on TV in a while.

Also maybe include links to his best performances (or is that illegal here?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I love Bryan Danielson; I think he's fantastic (although I think Davey Richards and KENNNNTAAAAAA have had more outstanding matches this year) but why is he Superstar of the Week? He's hasn't been on TV in a while.

Also maybe include links to his best performances (or is that illegal here?)

Youtube is fine

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Youtube is fine

is megaupload illegal? (it's an opportune time to say that to me, youtube is no more legal than rapidshare! only difference is file-size!)

The great thing about Danielson is his verstaility. He can work any nuumber of matches and look good all the time while doing so. See his Final Battle 2008 match with Morishima to see him like a crazed brawler.

On the other side of it he can have a slow paced techical masterpiece with just about anyone. His attention to detail is second to none. He works a body part and sells the fact he is doing so very clearly that it is impossible not to pick up on it.

On the mic, while he is no Rock, he certainly knows how to get the crowd both totally behind him, or totally against him. Though I do find his babyface promos a little to sugarry from time to time.

To see him at his best, from I have seen, see his matches against Samoa Joe in both ROH and PWG, against KENTA in ROH and NOAH (i think), against McGuinness and Morishima in ROH. Against just these opponents you will see the versatility I have already mentioned, not to mention being completely blown away by the in ring action.

Best In The World? I would say so, yes.

Pretty psychic of the thread starter to pick Danielson this week.

Danielson wrestled a dark match last night before RAW, had a great match against Chavo apparently.

Hes coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the hype around him on the internet is frightening.

i can't wait to see if he's as good as everyone insists he is.

i haven't followed him during his career.

i know, i know....for shame :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

gimmick wrote: »
    I am too sore to type much here, but Danielsons mic work is actually very good.

Watched his match from Driven Vs KENTA earlier. Incredible stuff.

I am a hopeless mark for Dragon, so will have more musings once I am somewhat healthy again.
    One of the best matches I've ever seen. Hope he can fill the technical void left by Benoit to some extent but his headbutt is way more awesome :)

SlickRic wrote: »
    the hype around him on the internet is frightening.

i can't wait to see if he's as good as everyone insists he is.

i haven't followed him during his career.

i know, i know....for shame :D

Hes impossible to overhype, honestly. Hes as good as anyone who has wrestled in the last 20 years.

Whether hes given the platform to show this by WWE is another thing of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

flahavaj wrote: »
    Hes impossible to overhype, honestly. Hes as good as anyone who has wrestled in the last 20 years.

Whether hes given the platform to show this by WWE is another thing of course.

well if he is that good, and Vince has an idea to put him in the 'Benoit Role' within the company, then i can't wait.

WWE has been missing a technician, someone flexible in their styles, and who can make anyone look good, for quite a while now.

SlickRic wrote: »
    well if he is that good, and Vince has an idea to put him in the 'Benoit Role' within the company, then i can't wait.

WWE has been missing a technician, someone flexible in their styles, and who can make anyone look good, for quite a while now.

I will cry with happiness and go to work with bleary eyes every Tuesday after staying up for RAW if Danielson gets pushed even half as hard as Benoit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I'd like to see him debut as part of Bret's storyline maybe fight for Bret against HBK for Vince

JP Liz wrote: »
    I'd like to see him debut as part of Bret's storyline maybe fight for Bret against HBK for Vince

What could have actually been epic was if they still had London or kendrick on their books and they did a Hart Dynasty managed by Hart vs Danielson/London managed by HBK (HBK trained them both). Thats how you build stars for the future IMO. WWE gains nothing by interjecting the likes of DX or HHH into the feud, as they're already well established superstars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What would people be happy with in his E days? Do you want him to get the Punk push or would you be happy with him in a R-Truth role? E.G Midcarder who gets regular TV time but is never going to be near the main event?
    Or do you want him to beat Flairs record before Hunter or Edge? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Heard that he got a pretty big reaction from the crowd in the dark match with people chanting for him throughout. A pretty good sign if true that he's already over to a degree with the average crowd.

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Heard that he got a pretty big reaction from the crowd in the dark match with people chanting for him throughout. A pretty good sign if true that he's already over to a degree with the average crowd.

pics:o

bryand.jpg
    16m1z55.jpg

• Advertisement

Will this be on Superstars this week so?

He is doing his surfboard stretch in the second pic.

gimmick wrote: »
    Will this be on Superstars this week so?

He is doing his surfboard stretch in the second pic.

No the match with Chavo was a dark match. These were the Superstar matches....

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWETVreports/article1009652.shtml
    Spoilers in their...

Bah, I was hjoping that because the superstars draping was around the ring we might see him.

Anyway, back to the thread, People should try and see Dragons matchs with Roderick Strong in 2006. Once again, awesome stuff.

I would love to know how to chop stuff out of DVDs and make a collection myself, Id fill 10 DVDs easy of Danielson alone.

Jolt2007 wrote: »

I think they're putting it down to the fact that it was a more smark heavy audience for Bret than usual. But its good to see him get a good reaction all the same, hopefully his TV debut isn't far off now.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What would people be happy with in his E days? Do you want him to get the Punk push or would you be happy with him in a R-Truth role? E.G Midcarder who gets regular TV time but is never going to be near the main event?
    Or do you want him to beat Flairs record before Hunter or Edge? :D

Main eventing Wrestlemania 27 in a 40 minute classic against Punker is the very least I'd be hoping for.:pac:

But seriously all I'd ask for him is that he'd get a fair crack of the whip and is given a bit of time every week to do what he does best and thats wrestle. If hes given that opportunity then he'll be fine. Theres no reason he can't assume the role that Benoit had for years as the guy on the card who can an amazing match with just about anyone on the roster, hovering around the IC/US title or upper mid-card. He's not far off Benoit as an in-ring worker and if anything probably has more charisma.

Anyone who's on the fence about Danielson as a wrestler should check out the Morishima series of matches. Jesus they're something else. Best small man/big man feud since Sting/Vader?

Also in Dayton, Bryan Danielson debuted, beating Chavo Guerrero in a dark match with a running knee to the face. Surprisingly, people knew who he was. Danielson had not been used because he had a health issue that needed to be cleared up before they were going to allow him to wrestle, got three or four loud “Let’s go Bryan” and “Let’s go Dragon” chants even though he was not announced as American Dragon. It shocked everyone that he got a star reaction since WWE audiences traditionally don’t care about wrestlers who don’t have a significant history of being stars on national television.

Latest Observer. Good to see the delay in him debuting was on medical grounds rather than them "having nothing for him."

Would not read too much into that as Dayton is a big ROH territory, so would imagine a few ROH regulars were in attendence to see the Hitman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

The word is Bryan Danielson asked to go to WWE developmental as he felt he was rusty in his dark match this past week in Dayton, Ohio.
    http://www.pwinsider.com/article/44179/danielsonwwe-developmental-update.html?p=1

images_37.jpg

So it seems he'll be in FCW for a while starting next week.

Eve is burying Danielson.:pac:

• Advertisement

What a hero and perfectionist he is. Asking to be sent to developmental. God I love him.

Advertisement