Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To neuter or not to neuter, that is the question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Paul91 wrote: »
    we neutered out male boxer/lab - took a lot of the unwanted aggression out of him, so much a better dog

female GS to be spayed next week, poor girl been through the mill - she's getting pampered on Sunday though - groomed

Thank you all for this great information, what age was your boxer/lab when you had him neutered, what age is the female dog now.
    would a person be able to find a vet to neuter their male dog at 3 months, so he does not get these male tendencies like marking territory, as mine are house pets, and great company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

You should wait until he is between 5-6 months old....that will be time enough to stop any leg cocking or marking etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Do I have to get a female indoor cat neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

quickbeam wrote: »
    Do I have to get a female indoor cat neutered?

Oh it only takes for her to get out once and then you and her become proud parents. Neutering also, according to the vet, should reduce the chance of her getting cancer earlier in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

You should absolutely have her neutered. She will roar/yowl the house down when she's in heat to get out, and will escape at the first opportunity, not to mention invite every tomcat for miles around to spray your front door....
    Female cats have seasonal eostrus cycles, usually between March / October, although this can change according to environment / temperature etc. She can potentially come into season every THREE weeks during that period, and will continue to do so until she is mated. Unlike humans and dogs, the cat does not ovulate until mating occurs, so there is a big incentive for them to mate, and when they do, lo and behold, the egg is sitting there in the uterus, primed and ready for conception! They are well designed to become pregnant!!!
    Just get her spayed, easier for everyone involved, no less the poor frustrated kitty!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

baubl wrote: »
    Thank you all for this great information, what age was your boxer/lab when you had him neutered, what age is the female dog now.
    would a person be able to find a vet to neuter their male dog at 3 months, so he does not get these male tendencies like marking territory, as mine are house pets, and great company.

the lab/boxer was about three, i did the usual "man thing" i.e. didn't want to remove him of his manhood, but his aggression out of the house built to a level i was unable to stop to talk to people without him growling and once jumping (don't worry his lead is short when people are near so he couldn't get near) Roxy is faour and a half, only had her 5 months (4 of these she's had pups)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Why would you neuter a poor dog?? Would you like to be neutered OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you serious?? There are many good, positive reasons why animals should be neutered which have all been mentioned on this thread.

Can i ask one positive reason why you shouldnt neuter? (apart from if you intend to breed from or show the dog)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

if i had the choice of being neutered or being put down because of aggression issues - i think i would

if i had the choice of being neutered or developing cancer - i think i would

if i had the choice of being neutered or having 6 kids who dies - i think i would

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive moved this thread to the welfare sub-forum where it belongs.I just hope that people arent starting threads in the ordinary forum to circumvent the pre-modding of the welfare section because believe me we will opt to pre-moderate the whole Animal and pets froum if that starts happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Obviously, as a rescue I am pro neuter and all adult dogs leaving here have had the snip. However, I do not believe in paediatric spaying/neutering and I do it breed specific, i.e. larger breeds take longer to mature and I will not neuter them until they have reached a certain age. There are many health related issues which can occur if you do it too soon.

Also, whilst neutering can help with aggression issues in some cases it is not a be all and end all of all behavioural problems.

And which bitches, please make sure it isn't done to close before or after a heat as it can cause incontinence in some bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublindogcare

its nicer to neuter!

And if you are not a professional don't breed .......its not a money maker and is extremely hard work ......and there are alot of unwanted dogs out there.......pure breed and mixed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks for feedback. Very helpful, as I had originally intended not to get the cat neutered (don't have one yet but intend to soon).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for all the info. The vet told me to wait till after my Rough Collie's first Season.

Thanks,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

With very few exceptions, always neuter.
    Exceptions:

- you have a lot of time on your hands to research suitable breeding stock;

-you have a lot of free time on your hands if you are breeding bitches to mind/socialize / find excellent homes for ensuing puppies/ vet homes subsequent to puppies being adopted/ are prepared to take puppies back if the homes they have gone to turn out to be unsuitable;

- you have a great deal of money to spend on high-level/high-precision medical testing - MRI and other scans (testing not just both dogs to be bred, but their siblings/parents/grandparents/great-grandparents);

- you have a lot of time and money to travel great lengths to undergo that testing / pay for overnight accommodation while travelling;

- you live near a good veterinary clinic if you are breeding bitches;

- you are breeding for the right reason - i.e. you are committed to improving the breed and ridding the breed of the genetic defects that riddle so many breeds of dogs.

-you have spoken to ethical breeders and fully understand what ethical breeding is, as opposed to the ignorant backyard breeding that is commonplace in Ireland with ensuing terrible genetic defects.

- you are prepared to lose more money than you will make as a result of breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Paul91 wrote: »
    if i had the choice of being neutered or being put down because of aggression issues - i think i would

if i had the choice of being neutered or developing cancer - i think i would

if i had the choice of being neutered or having 6 kids who dies - i think i would

here, here
    I have two unwanted dogs, and 2 cats, I neutered the lot, and gave them a life they deserved, not like the past owners who did not care, what happened them or any further offsprings they might have had, I do not like trying to find homes for babies these animals may have had, as I could not be sure if those homes would look after them with the same love and respect as I do.
    so I will be neutering my jacks boy and girl, I do not want my boy wandering, and I do not want my girl having babies, that may not have a bright future

Advertisement