Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPL on Sky Germany 2010/11

Options
  • 30-12-2009 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Sky secures exclusive rights to all Barclays Premier League matches until 2013

* From next season, Barclays Premier League's top games available exclusively on Sky
    * Sky secures all rights to TV, internet and mobile services
    * More than 130 HD games per season

Munich, 9 December 2009. In the middle of the highly exciting "finals days" on Sky, subscribers can take delight in more good news. During the next three seasons, Sky will show all the important games of one of Europe's top leagues live and exclusively.

Of the collective 380 league games Sky will broadcast up to five per matchday. The high-quality live programming will be complemented with weekly highlights programmes and the magazine "Premier League World". In addition, the goals of the top stars from Britain will be shown on Sky in brilliant HD quality. Just under half of the league's games are produced by Barclays Premier League in HD. Sky will be showing a large number of these matches on Sky Sport HD.

Carsten Schmidt, Chief Officer Sports, Advertising Sales & Internet: "Securing the Barclays Premier League rights is the perfect Christmas present for all Sky subscribers and another good reason for choosing our product. The new three-year contract is an excellent complement to our high-quality football content, which includes the Bundesliga, the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA European League as well as the DFB Pokal and the FIFA World Cup 2010."

Premier League Chief Executive, Richard Scudamore: "We are extremely happy to have concluded a deal with Sky for the next three seasons. Their commitment to HD quality broadcasting and multi-platform broadcasting means Barclays Premier League fans in Germany will have all the best match action available to them in the best and most accessible ways possible."

Sky has secured the exclusive internet and mobile rights along with the TV rights in Germany and Austria. On sky.de, the Barclays Premier League is and remains an important part of the largest offer of sports video content on the internet.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Interesting. I had read before that Sky DE had put EPL games on the back burner, in favour of more Bundesliga games.

Wonder how the EPL rights are faring out elsewhere around the globe. We already know that Canal+ in Scandinavia have lost the rights, unless they buy packages off the new rights holders.

I would be curious to see if Al Jazeera would snap up rights out of Showtime's hands in the East.

I'd expect Sky Italia to remain as is. Unless Berlusconi does someting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Canal + is a superb package, I'm watching the Utd game Live now & it has to be the best picture (sd) out there, Sky Ger is a close second - But for sheer qty of games the loss of Canal + will be kick to the teeth....

Lets hope Sky Germany give us more 3pms & mid-week options

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Abu Dubai sports consortuim won the middle east, but they dont actually have any channels to show them on! Same as whats happened in Scandinavia.

byte

snaps wrote: »
    Abu Dubai sports consortuim won the middle east, but they dont actually have any channels to show them on! Same as whats happened in Scandinavia.
    Presumably, the Abu Dubai crowd that won the ME rights will resell, similar to what the Scandi crowd are supposedly going to do.

byte wrote: »
    Presumably, the Abu Dubai crowd that won the ME rights will resell, similar to what the Scandi crowd are supposedly going to do.

Please god its to Canal + & not Viasat though, can't get that signal

• Advertisement
    byte

Oh, yeah, never thought of that. Maybe the rights end up being shared between both...

byte wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, never thought of that. Maybe the rights end up being shared between both...

Interesting times ahead, but I can't complain I suppose - I've watched every game that Utd have played in Live with the change I made to the system in the summer.

Lets hope it keeps up for the next 3 years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Sky Germany? Did Sky buy out Premiere?

I have fond memories of Premiere, back in the good old days when i had it. Now i have nothing. :mad:

Yes Sky took over Premiere, superb little package it was.

they are doing an 8 month prepaid hd system for 199e if u can get ur your hands on one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Of the collective 380 league games Sky will broadcast up to five per matchday.

I'm pretty sure this means up to five matches per round of fixtures not all 5 on one actual day.
    E.g They will show 2 matches on a Saturday,2 on Sunday and one on Monday when possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

they are doing an 8 month prepaid hd system for 199e if u can get ur your hands on one?

Where did you see this offer?

sky.de and ebay.de

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

sky.de and ebay.de

Would that humax box and german sky card work over here?
    Presuming I got it delivered to a German address for starters.....after the 8 months what then?

Would the card work on the Azbox?

Superfin wrote: »
    Would that humax box and german sky card work over here?
    Presuming I got it delivered to a German address for starters.....after the 8 months what then?

Would the card work on the Azbox?

You buy another sub after the 8 months!

I think the box and card are paired!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

Would sky germany be worth getting? value for money? Are much of the sports channels english commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I wouldnt get a sub for them until the season starts and theres confirmation that the matches are in English.

They made a similar annoucement a few years ago saying they were going to show every EPL match and lots in HD. They ending up showing basically whats on sky sports and maybe 1 3pm match every weekend. The reason for this was because they got the rights to the bundesliga back at the last minute as the rights holders went bankrupt/collapsed.

Sky italia i think have all the EPL matches on their sky calcio channels and the last time I saw them there was just the italian audio channel.

Ive emailed an Italian seller in Italy that sells Sky Italy boxes/prepaid HD cards to Germany. 700e delivered to Germany. Ive asked if he can do the same to Ireland. Im awaiting a reply

byte

Ive emailed an Italian seller in Italy that sells Sky Italy boxes/prepaid HD cards to Germany. 700e delivered to Germany. Ive asked if he can do the same to Ireland. Im awaiting a reply
    Hm, that price sounds much more reasonable than what I see on UK stores.

It'll be interesting if he responds.

Sky italia i think have all the EPL matches on their sky calcio channels and the last time I saw them there was just the italian audio channel.

100 % English Audio this season & 16:9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

any update on this?

blocparty wrote: »
    any update on this?

no replys to any of my emails

• Registered Users Posts: 53,883 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is it just bundesliga and EPl that is on sky germany folks ?

Spanish & Austrian also Live on Sky De

Spanish & Austrian also Live on Sky De

somthing to think about for next season

I do like my bundesliga and la-liga, pity no Serie A

Headshot wrote: »
    somthing to think about for next season

I do like my bundesliga and la-liga, pity no Serie A

Once I have Premiership I'm a happy camper, me.

Once I have Premiership I'm a happy camper, me.

yap the EPL is a big one for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I thought I'd put an update here on the current state of play!

ALL premiership games on Sky DE do indeed have English commentary. Well...... I cant confirm for next year but I have had it for the past 2 seasons and that's the case!

re HD. Sky sport only has 1 HD channel at the moment, so if Bayern Munich is playing at the same time as a premiership team for example, then theres no HD premiership, otherwise there very often is.
    According to press releases theres more sports HD channels on the way so this conflict of games should be less of a problem.

As a bonus, ALL champions league games on both Tuesday and Wednesday are shown. The home team always has commentary in their language available with german as the other language if its a big game, or for lesser games (no german at all) and the second commentary is the away team language.

Bonus 2 is that old Firm Derbys in Scotland are also shown. I suspect this is a cynical ploy by sky to ensure that Irish pubs cant show Scottish football without a commercial licence.
    BTW. Sky have been very active in the past 6 months, ringing and chasing irish pubs into getting a commercial Sky DE licence even if they only have a UK/ IRL sky box, because Sky DE has the pub rights for the premiership etc. in Germany.

As a side issue, Sky Germany are pushing Sky+ HD boxes since about a week ago for the very first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've never seen Spanish football live on Sky Germany. Is this starting next season?

Excellent package BTW. Every single game from the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga shown live. Europa League, Champs League, DFB Pokal and Premiership. Will be renewing come the end of my sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Wow would be very interested at that price. Heard anything more? Any chance you could pass the details on and I could ask an Italian friend of mine to contact them, maybe they'd be able to respond better to Italian.

Advertisement