Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Cathedral on fire

Options
  • 25-12-2009 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Just got up this morning to look out the window and see flames and smoke from the cathedral....apparently started at 5am....roof gone...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

Was just about to post this... Sounds AWFUL!:( It's nearly unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

will wander up shortly to take a photo...have to open my pressies first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

25122009040.jpg Sad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

oh no, that's awful :(
    It was a beautiful cathedral
    longford.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Pics from RTE

0002def710dr.jpg

0002def810dr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Rumour has it the boiler exploded and started the fire. The water pipes were frozen so the fire brigade couldnt put it out and then obviously it spread out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I hope that it is well covered by insurance and can be restored to its full again.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Thats a real killer. The only thing this town had to be proud of is gone. There was a great museum in there aswell, presumably thats gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Longford Leader have posted photos on their site. Looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Terrible day for Longford. A beautiful iconic building destroyed hopefully this will be rebuilt just as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

I'm not really a religious person at all but I was devestated when I heard what happened. It's amazing just how central the cathedral is to the local community - it's where many of us were christened, received first holy communion and confirmation, had weddings and have said goodbye to loved ones at funerals. It's hard to imagine Longford without it.

The first time I'd been in the cathedral all year was just lastnight when I went to midnight mass with my parents. Walking through its doors you'd never fail to be amazed by the interior; the stained glass windows, the choir gallery and organ, the paintings and the sculptures (since I was a child I'd always been fascinated by the statue of St. Michael battling a serpant with a spear) and, of course, that magnificent ceiling. And then there was the museum with it's small but priceless collection of artefacts and relics - the most important of which was undoubtedly the crozier of St. Mel himself. Hopefully somewhere inside there are some remnants that can be saved.

I went into town this morning to witness the scene for myself and it was an eerie sight to behold... crowds of people staring silently at the smoke pouring out from the roof and glimpses of fires still burning inside. It looked like the fire brigade were concentrating their efforts on the area around the front entrance, probably in a bid to save the spire which is the most iconic part of the building's exterior. I was fighting back tears...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Like yourself, I wouldn't consider myself to be particularly religious. But it's strange the influence a building like this has on the community. You take it for granted and it's only when a tragedy like this happens, you realise how central the place is in your life.

Im sure it will be restored eventually, but it certainly will never be the same, I can't see how it could be possible to restore it to its former glory.

I wish the best of luck to the bishop, priests and everyone else involved in sorting out this mess.

EDIT: Maybe Mel 'Colmcille' Gibson could throw us a few quid. He was named after the cathedral after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

How did this happen. Was it arson?

I was thinking it was in relation to the sexual molestation of children by priests. Serves the church right but I feel sorry for the locals. Hope the building will be looking well again soon.

I was thinking it was in relation to the sexual molestation of children by priests. Serves the church right but I feel sorry for the locals. Hope the building will be looking well again soon.

Somehow I doubt it was arson. Anyways, I don't see how burning down a building so important to the people of Longford could be regarded as retribution for those allegations. And as far as I know, Bishop O'Reilly hasn't been caught up in any of crossfire in those cases...

I don't see how burning down a building so important to the people of Longford could be regarded as retribution for those allegations.

Yes. It'll hit them hard though. That Bishop was pretty emotional about it all really. It might be a word of warning to all the abusers in the church.

Yes. It'll hit them hard though. That Bishop was pretty emotional about it all really. It might be a word of warning to all the abusers in the church.

Great, just what we need... a conspiracy theorist :rolleyes:

Great, just what we need... a conspiracy theorist :rolleyes:

I'm not in my comfort zone really. Can't wait to get back to Bill and Eamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lumpynomore

Was devestated to hear about this, St.Mel's was a beautiful cathedral, the decor was breathtaking and for those of us that were reared in Longford it's irreplaceable. It's heartbreaking my kids will not get to see this magnificant building, last time I was home was for my nan's funeral in 2004 and my eldest was to young to remember. And poor Bishop O'Reilly on the news, so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

Really? It "serves the Church right"?

If relatives of yours committed crimes, and other relatives covered up those crimes, would it justify someone burning your house down in retribution? Would you think that seeing your house reduced to ashes woulde serve your family right?

Personally I don't think it was a case of arson, but we'll have to wait and see what the authorities say. But let's be clear - the dreadful abuses do not justify the burning of churches.

How can anyone think it is acceptable that priests covered up abuse of children. They were being raped by crucifixes etc. Unbelievable.

The crowd should be taken out and shot. (The ones covering for them. Not all of them.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

This thread is about the cathedral fire i thought and not about abuse.

baldbear wrote: »

icon14.gif

baldbear wrote: »

Yes, I agree, the thread is meant to be about the fire in the cathedral. But Johnny Giles introduced the abuse theme by saying that the fire serves the church right, thus implicitly endorsing any arson that might have been involved. My view is that this is very dangerous talk.

How can anyone think it is acceptable that priests covered up abuse of children. They were being raped by crucifixes etc. Unbelievable.

The crowd should be taken out and shot. (The ones covering for them. Not all of them.)

Who says that it is acceptable that priests covered up the abuse of children? Sorry, I just do not see where you are going with this? I don't know anybody who thinks that this behaviour was acceptable.

As for taking them out and shooting them, I hope you are just using a figure of speech, and don't mean that literally. We have due process for a reason, and part of our legal system is that the death penalty is no longer constitutionally permissible.

This kind of loose talk is dangerous; it only takes one nutter to start implementing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I was there last night at Midnight Mass, and it was breathtaking as it is every year. the choir are just perfect for the building. i was looking up at it earlier today biting my lip holding back the tears. but tonight it's lit up as usual, and in a few years it'll be restored, and i personally can't wait for that day.

by the way, was talking to a fireman manning the pump near the river, he was telling us about someone nicking a light that was there to warn cars about the pipes crossing the road. seems like there's always scum active, no matter what the weather, day or situation is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is sad; but please God they do not even think of rebuilding in these hard times. It is just a building, and so many now are struggling just to keep a roof over their heads.

There have been so many "appeals" for public funding for renovations and crazy things like African river stone floors in Churches this year. Priests going round knocking on doors etc.

There are too many Churches now.

And Rome has enough in its coffers, as do the religious orders here in Ireland, to rebuild without asking a cent from the people.

The Church is still the biggest and richest landowner in Ireland

We need to think less of buildings and more of people; as Jesus did.

The glory of God not bricks and mortar, but a land and a world where no one goes cold or hungry.. and in every Irish city there are homeless now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is sad; but please God they do not even think of rebuilding in these hard times. It is just a building, and so many now are struggling just to keep a roof over their heads.

There have been so many "appeals" for public funding for renovations and crazy things like African river stone floors in Churches this year. Priests going round knocking on doors etc.

There are too many Churches now.

And Rome has enough in its coffers, as do the religious orders here in Ireland, to rebuild without asking a cent from the people.

The Church is still the biggest and richest landowner in Ireland

We need to think less of buildings and more of people; as Jesus did.

The glory of God not bricks and mortar, but a land and a world where no one goes cold or hungry.. and in every Irish city there are homeless now.

You forgot this.

soapbox.jpg

:rolleyes:

The fact is,I like many,many other people from Longford and beyond would/will have absolutely no problem in donating money to assist with the rebuilding of the Cathedral.

Kindly take your sanctimonious bullshit somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

I always thought the Cathedral in Longford was a grotesque building with it's Corinthian Columns and arrogant idols towering over the little people who walk beneath it. If there could be an architectural expression of the pompous domination of a corrupt church then this monstrosity it is. While Irish people were dying becaue of a genocidal famine these parasites, who were give food by the British, sucked the blood off the Irish people to build this! Not one priest died of hunger while this was being built out of the stench of rotting potatoes. The hammer blows resonating with the hooves of the British cavalry on their way to evict penniless peasants. We starved, they built a fine 'Cathedral'!

To this day some Russias yearn for Stalin. Maybe it is a kind of Stockholm Syndrome. It's not surprising simple people have cathected with such symbols of their oppression but obviously God has decided to burn it down. Maybe at last he is saying, "enough of your evil!"

While I hear many say how sad they are to see this building burn I can honestly say I am over the moon about it. It is a gift to all those who were trodden on by this heinous church; both by the clergy and the foolish lackeys who stood by them, taking up collections and reporting of 'heratics'.

I am reminded of the stories of the emancipation of slaves in the the US when the a few lost souls stood around the ole plantations, not wanting to avail of their freedom but instead wanted to continue serving 'Masser'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ha ha ha ha ha,Jesus,at least some trolls have the brains to not be so obvious,you are just a loser that is trying to be controversial.

People like you give trolls a bad name.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

nedtheshed wrote: »

Kindly take your sanctimonious bullshit somewhere else.

Who gives you the authority to speak to people like this :rolleyes:. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The fire is sad news though. I hope it was not arson because this fire will not make up for all the abuse this organisation has caused.

Advertisement