Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sub 5 or No Beer

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr Amazing

Ok I've cancelled running until the weather thaws as this is just too frustrating, on the upside the diet is working well.

Food: Porridge, salmon and veg, ryita, cheese,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Mr Amazing wrote: »
    Ok I've cancelled running until the weather thaws as this is just too frustrating, on the upside the diet is working well.

Food: Porridge, salmon and veg, ryita, cheese,

I hear you & feel your pain. Slogged through 11mls yesterday, was very very tempted to bail at 4mls but glad I kept going. Try not to cancel the runs altogether, god knows how long this freeze will last and it could set you back a bit. Try to get some runs in on grass and make up for quantity with some quality, ie- if you can only do 4mls try to stick in 2 at a tempo or such.
    Hang in there, we're all in the same boat

:-)

Thanks Speedy44, I took your advise,

Training: 4km of snow and ice in the park, but it felt good to be out there :).

Food; porridge and seeds, fish cakes with veg, mash and garlic and cheese potateo (pub lunch).

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

best of luck with the training.i stopped smoking in july and i piled on pounds for the first time in my life.buying a weighing scales on friday.must change my diet.did you have any eating plans or diet plans to work off.best of luck with the running fast

• Advertisement

useurename wrote: »
    best of luck with the training.i stopped smoking in july and i piled on pounds for the first time in my life.buying a weighing scales on friday.must change my diet.did you have any eating plans or diet plans to work off.best of luck with the running fast

Hi userename, i don't really have a eating plan, just some rules I try to stick by
    1) if it's got more than 10% sugar in it, I can't buy it!
    2) I try to avoid processed carbs.

the 10% sugar rule is great, I challange you to find junk food with >10% sugar in it, (diet foods don't count).

You can't burn fat with raised insulin levels no matter how hard you train or how hunger you are.

Oh and getting off the sugar really helped me with moods/concentration etc.

Well done on giving up smoking, it can't have been easy. After that changing your diet will be a piece of cake :).

Training; strenght training.

Food: Porridge with seeds, 300g nuts :o, soup. Not the best but I got stuck in the car for hours.

Training: 4 miles in the snow :D.

Food: Albran, 3 pairs, 4 crossaintes, rice pudding, popcorn, 1 choclate biscut. :( Seriously fell off the wage......will do better tomorrow.

Training: 21km uphill to see the snow. hopefully I got some good pics on the phone. The snow was waist deep at the top :D. Feeling absolutely completely shattered. But that's the cabin fever sorted.

Food: Four eggs on ryviata, yogart, jellys, pair, whey sake, (probably have hake and veg for diner as soon as I get my appitite back :rolleyes:)

Training: Still very stiff after yesterday's expidition, so, taking it easy today.

Food: Biscuts, coffee, burger and chips. what diet :eek:.
    Going to get back to it tomorrow, going to swap the porridge for 3/4 microwaved eggs. (an egg burger)

Measured out my 400m and 800m runs so I'm all set for when the weather clears.

• Advertisement

Yesterday
    Food: Eggs, Cottage cheese, nuts, veg, hake.

Training: some strength work.

Today
    Food: Eggs, Cottage cheese, nuts, veg, salmon.

Looking forward to getting out this evening even if it's raining :D.
    Planning a
    2 mile warm up.
    4 x 400m at 5 minute mile pace (or as close as I can get).
    1 mile warm down.

This should be interesting.........no hiding now :D.

Yesterday
    Food: Eggs, Cottage cheese, nuts, veg, hake.

Training: some strength work.

Today
    Food: Eggs, Cottage cheese, nuts, veg, salmon.

Looking forward to getting out this evening even if it's raining :D.
    Planning a
    2 mile warm up.
    4 x 400m at 5 minute mile pace (or as close as I can get).
    1 mile warm down.

This should be interesting.........no hiding now :D.

It should be interesting indeed ;)
    What kind of rec are you taking? Hope its not as windy up there as it is in the wild west where I am. Typical Irl, we go from 1 sucky weather patern to another, and another ..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

Join an athletics club for a sub 5 mile! It's the quickest way to ensure you get a beer again in your lifetime.

Food: eggs, cottage cheese, nuts, crisps, choclates, chicken and veg. fecking vending machine, fecking lack of self control :o.

Got out running this evening Yay! !!

2 mile warm up, 1 mile warm down

4 x 400m +/- 10m

84 sec
    83 sec
    77 sec
    76 sec

First 2 were up hill and the last 2 were the reverse.

Felt very very rough, like I was trying to kick the road to death. I need to teach my legs to run fast.

Not looking forward to the 800m, they're going to seriously embarrassing.

Food: eggs, cottage cheese nuts, chicken and veg.

Training: 8km in 43:21

I did some serious thinking after yesterday and well I'm a million miles away from where I want to be.

To keep me motivate I'm going to try and stick with my plan.
    Jan / <6 Feb / <5:50 March / <5:40 etc if I can't make one of these I'm going to declare the challange lost. so I have 17 days to get under <6.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

don't lose heart.maybe you should change the name to "goals for 2010".I'm a complete novice in the running stakes but maybe you would enjoy it more if you didn't concentrate on just the mile.give yourself other targets 5k,10k,10 mile and half marathon " if we chase perfection, though unattainable,we catch excellence":cool:

Food: eggs, cottage cheese nuts, chicken and veg.

Training: 8km in 43:21

I did some serious thinking after yesterday and well I'm a million miles away from where I want to be.

To keep me motivate I'm going to try and stick with my plan.
    Jan / <6 Feb / <5:50 March / <5:40 etc if I can't make one of these I'm going to declare the challange lost. so I have 17 days to get under <6.

Ah now don't be talking like that !
    You set yourself a hell of a challange and its going to take time to reach it. How is your weight now? I am 5ft 11 and weigh 73kg. I am 44yrs old and it took me almost 2yrs before I was able to get down to 5mins. I used to run as a kid and have a pb of 4:38 from when I was 18, but I didn't run for years. When I started back in '07 I could only run 5:50. It takes time and commitment to run that kind of time.

Try to concentrate on losing some weight, but do it slowly, no more than 1-2lbs/wk otherwise you'll probably put ir right back on again. You've been making progress as it is, so you will get there. But you need to be realistic and set softer goals. If you can run a sub 6 by the end of the summer, and lose 8-10kg, you'll be well on the way.
    Best of luck, and hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

+1 to the above, I don't mean to sound harsh but you'd be taking the easy way out if you declare it lost already. As nuremous posters have said, it won't be easy and will take a lot of time. But if you're mentally up to it and can take the few set backs that will inevitably come your way in your stride, then you'll be all the better for it.

Good luck

Food Friday: Junk
    Food Saturday: Bacon, eggs, tomatoes, bread, cheese pizza

Training Friday: NA
    Training Today: 1 mile warm up / 4 x 800m / 2 mile warm down

800m (up hill) 3:10, 3:03
    800m (down hill) 2:53, 2:53

Average 2:59.75 :eek:

useurename wrote: »
    don't lose heart.maybe you should change the name to "goals for 2010".I'm a complete novice in the running stakes but maybe you would enjoy it more if you didn't concentrate on just the mile.give yourself other targets 5k,10k,10 mile and half marathon " if we chase perfection, though unattainable,we catch excellence":cool:

Cheers useurename, I know what you mean about the 1 mile....it's a though cookie of a distance :o. TBH I picked it because I like to run fast. (well fast for me :D).

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Ah now don't be talking like that !
    You set yourself a hell of a challange and its going to take time to reach it. How is your weight now? I am 5ft 11 and weigh 73kg. I am 44yrs old and it took me almost 2yrs before I was able to get down to 5mins. I used to run as a kid and have a pb of 4:38 from when I was 18, but I didn't run for years. When I started back in '07 I could only run 5:50. It takes time and commitment to run that kind of time.

Try to concentrate on losing some weight, but do it slowly, no more than 1-2lbs/wk otherwise you'll probably put ir right back on again. You've been making progress as it is, so you will get there. But you need to be realistic and set softer goals. If you can run a sub 6 by the end of the summer, and lose 8-10kg, you'll be well on the way.
    Best of luck, and hang in there.

Hi Speedy44,
    Weight wise I'm not sure as I don't own a scales :D. but I'm a little less pudgey than I used to be.....but still have enough reserves to last several winters. All and all it's heading in the right direction :).

Thanks for the encouragement speedy44 :).

Food: Eggs, Place, veg, nuts, bacon Approx 2,000 - 2,500cal

Training: 5 miles in 38:50 so ave 7:45/mile
    I was chuffed with this :D.

Going to see if I can drag myself out of bed early and do my training the morning.......Tomorrow is a rest day so I'll be lying in.

Food: eggs, bacon, nuts, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, broccoli, couliflour, spinage.
    I've been working really hard on this, but actually feel like I might be gaining some weight......I hope it's just my imagination :o, because as diets go it's not exactly the most exciting.

Training: 2 mile warm up, 4 x 400m, 1 mile warm down. I actually ment to do 6 x 400m.

Times: 83, 83, 84, 84 So I'm getting slower :eek:..............que some excuses.
    It has been an eye wateringly stressfull day/week so far......and it's really windy :o.

Oh and the local running club uses my road as part of their route and there must be 50+ people in it and they seemed to be running laps.....and the last thing you need when your struggling to do 400m is a fecking running club coming the other way at 100miles/hr........... other runners who would of thought :rolleyes:.

Advertisement