Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather thermometers

Options
  • 22-12-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hi , I would like to get a weather thermometer. I just wanted to ask the good people on here would they recomend a particular brand or type?
    I know nothing about them, can you just get one that you leave outside and it shows the temperture on it?
    I suppose u can get one that transmits data to your computer from outside can ya ?
    How are they pricewise?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

you may as well go for a bit of quality. I use this one here in my family home and it stores data as well which can be uploaded into excel:

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_3_ES_WS8610.html

Compares very well with the Davis Pro I use for my own gaff regarding temp and humidity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

you may as well go for a bit of quality. I use this one here in my family home and it stores data as well which can be uploaded into excel:

Compares very well with the Davis Pro I use for my own gaff regarding temp and humidity. :)
    Great thanks for the post, so u store this inside do you? How does it measure the outdoor temperture when its inside :confused: or do you take it outside to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Pangea wrote: »
    Great thanks for the post, so u store this inside do you? How does it measure the outdoor temperture when its inside :confused: or do you take it outside to do that?

There is an outdoor sensor with transmitter.

Also be aware it says it has a 9 pin serial connection for uploading to PC, this is stone age technology and you will most likely have to get a serial to USB adapter.

NO! :D. It comes with an outside sensor which you can located anywhere in your garden. Once you get it set up it will work fine and has a good distant range.

If you do decide to go for that particular one or something similar, best place to located sensor is in a sheltered location at 2 metre's height, away from the house. I have my one located inside a palm bush at the end of the garden, which does ok but tends to read a little low by day and a little high by night.

If you can, I would recommend you get a small Stevenson Screen, which can be got at the same online store in the link above. They are the best things to put thermo's in as they tend to read a lot more acurately. :)

Wow thats great info :D, told you i knew nothing about it :D transmitter sounds handy!
    Im actually kinda excited about getting one now ( how sad am i lol)
    Wow just seen apic o stevenson screen ,its blody huge! was hoping to do it discreetly lol ,il have the neighbours talking in no time :) and 2 meters is very high!

• Advertisement

Re edited my post there , I must of edited and deleted the text earlier by mistake somehow.

[quote=Deep Easterly;63615120

If you do decide to go for that particular one or something similar, best place to located sensor is in a sheltered location at 2 metre's height, away from the house. [/quote]

Another question :), how do i get it at 2 metres height ,is their a stand with the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

NO! :D. It comes with an outside sensor which you can located anywhere in your garden. Once you get it set up it will work fine and has a good distant range.

If you do decide to go for that particular one or something similar, best place to located sensor is in a sheltered location at 2 metre's height, away from the house. I have my one located inside a palm bush at the end of the garden, which does ok but tends to read a little low by day and a little high by night.

If you can, I would recommend you get a small Stevenson Screen, which can be got at the same online store in the link above. They are the best things to put thermo's in as they tend to read a lot more acurately. :)

I thought the standard height was 4ft or 1.25m ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

The Stevenson screen box looks huge. Is there any other way to ensure the sensor is protected and gives an accurate reading. What do you experts use?

mickger wrote: »
    The Stevenson screen box looks huge. Is there any other way to ensure the sensor is protected and gives an accurate reading. What do you experts use?

Go to the UK Weather shop website, then accessories, and you will see small Stevenson Screens for sale. Much more smaller than the standard met ones and about the size of 48 weetabix box :D. Handy for putting up on a pole at the end of the garden, or to hang off a wall etc. :)
    mobhi wrote:
    I thought the standard height was 4ft or 1.25m ?

Yes, you are right, although I thought the Irish Met standard was 1.5m? I could well be wrong in that though. :o. I use 2m personnally as my davis is in an urban area, and while quite exposed in a very large back garden, I want to get as much airflow into it as possible as well as preventing anomously low temp figures in the winter time. So far since I set it up in its new location in the summer, readings seem to be more or less similar with that of Galway City and Claremorris official stations. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi , I would like to get a weather thermometer. I just wanted to ask the good people on here would they recomend a particular brand or type?
    I know nothing about them, can you just get one that you leave outside and it shows the temperture on it?
    I suppose u can get one that transmits data to your computer from outside can ya ?
    How are they pricewise?
    Thanks

I have a WS3200 these past 2.5 years Pangea, its a little more expensive than the one already mentioned, but, I'm pretty pleased with it and its never given me a problem.

It gives you: indoor/outdoor temp. Dew Point. Humidity. Pressure. Rainfall for past hour or past 24hrs. Wind speed and direction. Sure, you couldnt want more!! :p There is however a bit of setting up to be done with it, cables (phone lines) etc to be done, but if you want a relatively cheap, all in one, weather stations its not a bad boy!

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_2_ES_WS2300.html

As regards the Stevens screen, I made my own wooden box type one. There is however a tutorial going about on the net showing how to make one from those plastic trays that go under flower pots if you're any way handy at all. A number of them, spaced evenly apart on 4 threaded rods so as to allow air to get in at the sensor. Obviously you cut a section out of each of the middle of the trays to allow room for the sensor. Paint her white, mount it on a pole and bobs yer uncle!

Edit: just like this one:
    wxstation2.jpg

My one, when it was looking fresh and new, admittedly it could do with a fresh lick of paint (it wasnt in the best posistion in that pic either, as I eventually learned......:p)
    stevensonscreen.jpg

Another question :), how do i get it at 2 metres height ,is their a stand with the product?

Unfortunatly no. :o. Even if you were to get some arial pole or hang it of a fence post (Securely I might add, as Donegal is not known for its gentle breezes :)) it would do the job grand. Even hanging it on a north facing wall or fence away from buildings should be ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Yes, you are right, although I thought the Irish Met standard was 1.5m? I could well be wrong in that though. :o. I use 2m personnally as my davis is in an urban area, and while quite exposed in a very large back garden, I want to get as much airflow into it as possible as well as preventing anomously low temp figures in the winter time. So far since I set it up in its new location in the summer, readings seem to be more or less similar with that of Galway City and Claremorris official stations. :)

It says 1.2m on http://www.met.ie/climate/temperature.asp

I got this as recommended by Deep Easterly and am happy with it but i have a few problems and you guys might be able to help. At the moment the RH% reading is -- so i can't get a DP reading. This happened last night aswell. Is there just too much mositure in the air to get a reading? Is there a way i can ensure i get a reading always? Also the sensor is reading 1 degree more than my older Oregon sensor. Would the newer one be more accurate? Thanks in advance guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

I have hot an outside moniter and it says -4 right now, just checked now, feel worse

mickger wrote: »
    I got this as recommended by Deep Easterly and am happy with it but i have a few problems and you guys might be able to help. At the moment the RH% reading is -- so i can't get a DP reading. This happened last night aswell. Is there just too much mositure in the air to get a reading? Is there a way i can ensure i get a reading always? Also the sensor is reading 1 degree more than my older Oregon sensor. Would the newer one be more accurate? Thanks in advance guys.

Hi Mick. When I got mine one a couple of years ago I had exactly the same problem, with even the temp sometimes showing up as --. This tends to happen when the batteries are wearing down, but I think the more likely problem is that the console is too far away from the outside sensor. If it is possible, I would move the console to a point that is as close as possible (inside) to the sensor outside. (or vice versa).

It could be that there are too many obstacles in between the sensor and console also, like too many walls etc.

As for the readings, as long as the sensor is exposed (but inside some sort of screen) then it should be reading accurately the temperature and humidity for the location. :)

Hi Mick. When I got mine one a couple of years ago I had exactly the same problem, with even the temp sometimes showing up as --. This tends to happen when the batteries are wearing down, but I think the more likely problem is that the console is too far away from the outside sensor. If it is possible, I would move the console to a point that is as close as possible (inside) to the sensor outside. (or vice versa).

It could be that there are too many obstacles in between the sensor and console also, like too many walls etc.

As for the readings, as long as the sensor is exposed (but inside some sort of screen) then it should be reading accurately the temperature and humidity for the location. :)

Thanks Deep Easterly, your advice is much appreciated.

Thought I would give life to this thread to see if anyone has got any good new theremometers since ?
    Deep Easterly I never bought a thermometer that time , that link you posted shows up a few thermometers now ,would you mind posting the one you recommended again please?

These seem quite cheap , not sure if they are any good or not though.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=weather+thermometer&sprefix=weather+thermometer

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Croppy Boy....Cool job on the Stevenson Screen. Been thinking about making one myself for the back garden. Did you work off plans? I've seen the instructions about the flower pot version alright but it just doesn't sound robust to me. Any directions for instructions / materials etc would be appreciated.

One question for eveyone. I think one of the best features of the indoor unit would be to see a graph of the outside temperature for the last 12 hours. Why don't they do this? I think the Davis Vantage console has this feature, but too expensive for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

At a minimum the sensor should be located at least twice the distance away of the height of the nearest wall/fence/obstacle... i.e... locate it at least 4m away from a 2m fence etc...

Secondly the recommended height is 120cm.

The sensor should be located as far away from concrete/tar ground as possible also.

• Advertisement

T
    Deep Easterly I never bought a thermometer that time , that link you posted shows up a few thermometers now ,would you mind posting the one you recommended again please?

Here you go Pangea. 49 quid sterling, works out about 60 euro but I continue to recommend it. Accurate and easy to view & manage.

Here you go Pangea. 49 quid sterling, works out about 60 euro but I continue to recommend it. Accurate and easy to view & manage.
    Thanks deep east, Il have a look at that now, oddly I didnt notice your reply.
    I plan on getting some equipment ,seeing as this winter could be one to remember, oh and also a snow sleigh ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good offer on Maplin at the minute: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220865

Temp Sensor won't be great in sunlight but you build a decent shield easy enough.

I see a lot of these say that they are easy wall mountable ,but you guys say to keep it away from walls.
    Is it ok to have it in a open field , or should it be near- nearish shelter?
    The only thing putting me off buying one is the whole process of trying to get a screen which is costly and then putting it up on a fence post etc. Is a screen really crucial? Il look into finding some tutorials to build one.
    Also for a wind speed one ,does it have to be very high up or would 1.2m be high enough for that too?

I see a lot of these say that they are easy wall mountable ,but you guys say to keep it away from walls.
    Is it ok to have it in a open field , or should it be near- nearish shelter?
    The only thing putting me off buying one is the whole process of trying to get a screen which is costly and then putting it up on a fence post etc. Is a screen really crucial? Il look into finding some tutorials to build one.
    Also for a wind speed one ,does it have to be very high up or would 1.2m be high enough for that too?
    It really depends on how serious you want to take it Pangea, I had one of these as my first station and loved it as it allowed me to setup Weather Display software and get to grips with everything.

I did notice on sunny days that temp was not accurate but it was very accurate at night in fact there was no more than 0.1c between it and my Davis Pro last winter.

I attached it to a steel pole in the garden, the only other issue I had was the rain bucket would tip in very high winds i.e. record huge amounts of rain.

As a first station it will give you much info and enjoyment that just a temp sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I think I will have to take a trip to Maplin tomorrow to pick up one of these. I am a only a beginner in the crazy world of the weather, but am hoping that having my own station will help me along the learning curve :)

They deliver to the south for £8.50 , Might go for it.
    Could someone attempt to answer some of my questions with regard to the height for the wind speed please. Could I place the one villan posted at 1.2m?

edit: Just realised that maplins one doesnt have any recording capability or pc interface, I think this is important, I want to focus on temperture lows so I think I might give the wind speed and extras a miss and maybe go for deep easts link.

Sorry Pangea you are correct that doesn't have a USB connection I presumed it did, the version with a USB connection is http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228825

I remember someone saying before that it was cheaper to order from UK than get it in their Dublin store.

Wind should be at 10m be exact but in an open exposed garden a 3m pole will give you good readings

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Lads,

Is this place suitable for a weather station? Picture below, fully exposed to the west, a number of similar bungalows to the north, a few larger trees to the east, a few trees just to the south (visible on the picture).
    If it is, I'd be thinking about a ~2m pole attached to the side of the chimney (once I'd get an approval from wife to buy a weather station, that is!).

dom.jpg

Kind Regards,
    Winger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Product_detail_Wk45S9.jpg

OK I know it's very basic, but Santa is on a budget this year and the full bifta weather stations are well out of my price range.

I'm not allowed to play with it till Christmas morning so thought I would get some feedback in advance. Has anyone else got one of these from Aldi. I was thinking about collating my own data (I'm whizz in Excel so graphs etc no problem) in comparison with the Dublin Airport Weather station to begin my foray into Weather analysis. Thought that if I could stick at it for a year maybe next Christmas I could get a weather station with all the bells and whistles.

Where do think the best position for the outside sensor would be? and I guess I should shield it to account for wind-chill.

All feedback gratefully received.

Advertisement