Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Let's NOT open the new motorway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The nob has done a U-Turn, its to open Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yop wrote: »

source?

And Hooray

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yop wrote: »

Who says, that cnut Dempsey is in Brussels all day .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'll be taken apart for saying this, but i can see where the local businesses are coming from.

Having probably already endured the worst year in the History of the state, losing out on the Christmas business wouls probably be the final nail.

It initially wasnt meant to be finished until late 2010, so the businesses in the Area I imagine hadnt planned to firstly have such a shocking year in 2009 and also miss out on the best trading time of the year that same year. It was announced early 2009 that the road would open before the end of the year, however this has been no ordinary year.

We have to look at it from both sides objectively.
    Obviously coming up to christmas, there will be plenty of extra traffic on the roads and the Motorway should be Open to allow for this.
    However people can argue that people have managed the last several years with this without the motorway.

Also, Accidents will happen and God forbid that anyone should ever die again on that stretch of road.

But to suggest that the Government, NRA, RSA, Power, Miley, Gay Byrne and whoever else people would want to blame if someone was to die on that stretch of road until the Motorway is open is talking complete and utter tripe.
    People are in contol of cars themselves, they have god given free will.
    No one forces people to be bad drivers,drink drive or speed.

The current road is safe for Public use and is being useddaily basis on a

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

source?

And Hooray

Was a breaking news story on TodayFM there about 3 mins ago :)

• Advertisement

whycliff wrote: »
    I'll be taken apart for saying this, but i can see where the local businesses are coming from.

Having probably already endured the worst year in the History of the state, losing out on the Christmas business wouls probably be the final nail.

It initially wasnt meant to be finished until late 2010, so the businesses in the Area I imagine hadnt planned to firstly have such a shocking year in 2009 and also miss out on the best trading time of the year that same year. It was announced early 2009 that the road would open before the end of the year, however this has been no ordinary year.

Obviously coming up to christmas, there will be plenty of extra traffic on the roads and the Motorway should be Open to allow for this.
    However people can argue that people have managed the last several years with this without the motorway.

Also, Accidents will happen and God forbid that anyone should ever die again on that stretch of road.

But to suggest that the Government, NRA, RSA, Power, Miley, Gay Byrne and whoever else people would want to blame if someone was to die on that stretch of road until the Motorway is open is talking complete and utter tripe.

Will. those business contribute €1.8m over the next 5 years even to the economy, no way.
    Not worth it, whatever way you look at tit.

Will. those business contribute €1.8m over the next 5 years even to the economy, no way.
    Not worth it, whatever way you look at tit.

Possibly not, but they do employ peoples Husbands, Wives, Fathers and Mothers who are caught up in all of this.

The have christmas and the New year ahead of them too.

I use the road on a weekly basis and i have to admit its frustrating at Castledermot to say the least but if i thought that it would save jobs by leaving it until the New year to Open, i'd struggle on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I have been a regular user of that road for 10 years now. I have never stopped in Castledermot for anything. If I've needed petrol (maybe twice as I usually fill up before I set off) I've gotten it in Carlow where it's cheaper.

I would imagine 99.9% of other people who were also forced to go through the town also never stopped for anything other than a traffic light.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I have been a regular user of that road for 10 years now. I have never stopped in Castledermot for anything. If I've needed petrol (maybe twice as I usually fill up before I set off) I've gotten it in Carlow where it's cheaper.

I would imagine 99.9% of other people who were also forced to go through the town also never stopped for anything other than a traffic light.

I dont think its only businesses in Castledermot, there is a service station at Ballytore and also Restaurant and Bar available at Walls of Kilgowan known as the Priory.
    There are others along that road also.

I dont think its only businesses in Castledermot, there is a service station at Ballytore and also Restaurant and Bar available at Walls of Kilgowan known as the Priory.
    There are others along that road also.

what about all the business that'll save time and money not sitting in traffic, Now their trucks are consuming excess diesel, delivering late to clients, have to pay for more hours than necessary.

what about their employees?

Two sides to every story.

• Advertisement

what about all the business that'll save time and money not sitting in traffic, Now their trucks are consuming excess diesel, delivering late to clients, have to pay for more hours than necessary.

what about their employees?

Two sides to every story.

How have they managed until now?

It wasnt schedueled to open until Late 2010.

I imagine couriers aren't depending on the Opening of the motorway to make or break their business.
    If they are, there in a bad way.

I agree there is 2 sides to every story, and i'd prefer the Motorway to Open, but the people on here with the Pitch Forks and and lighted torches need to calm down a little and take in every side of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The RSA loves to take the plaudits when deaths are reduced but don't take any flack when deaths increased.

If anyone died on this road they would shoulder 90% of the blame IMO.

The RSA's purpose is to improve road safety, not to look after local traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

How have they managed until now?

It wasnt schedueled to open until Late 2010.

I imagine couriers aren't depending on the Opening of the motorway to make or break their business.
    If they are, there in a bad way.

I agree there is 2 sides to every story, and i'd prefer the Motorway to Open, but the people on here with the Pitch Forks and and lighted torches need to calm down a little and take in every side of the story.
    That probably the ryanair effect...... Tell everybody that a flight from dublin to Liverpool takes 45 mins. Take off 5 minutes late, land 30 mins later and rejoice your still 10 mins early!

The RSA loves to take the plaudits when deaths are reduced but don't take any flack when deaths increased.

If anyone died on this road they would shoulder 90% of the blame IMO.

The RSA's purpose is to improve road safety, not to look after local traders.

Why 90% of the blame? Why any blame?

I'm not arguing with you on it, just intersted to hear your opinion as to why they should be held accountable.

This is idol talk now, as its been announced it will Open on Monday!

That probably the ryanair effect...... Tell everybody that a flight from dublin to Liverpool takes 45 mins. Take off 5 minutes late, land 30 mins later and rejoice your still 10 mins early!

Or the government giving themselves a wide berth, with their previous track record on getting development projects completed ontime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Why 90% of the blame? Why any blame?

I'm not arguing with you on it, just intersted to hear your opinion as to why they should be held accountable.

This is idol talk now, as its been announced it will Open on Monday!

Motorways are far far safer than standard roads. The RSA didn't kick up a fuss about this (not that I know of). Their job would be to kick up a major fuss.

God knows they did when the Government said they wouldn't be implementing speed cameras.

i still dont see how it would or could be there fault if someone was killed on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

whycliff, this has been an ongoing argument at every small town that's been bypassed for the last 40 years and it's still completely invalid today.

Studies have shown that when a town gets bypassed, trade in that town actually *increases* because people don't avoid it any more. Previously if given the option of (for example) taking the N4 to Dublin to shop or going the opposite direction towards Enfield, people would go to Dublin because the traffic in Enfield would make shopping a nightmare. Now they go to Enfield because Enfield has been bypassed and the only traffic is shopping traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I work two doors down from his constituency office. I'd love to print off a facepalm pic and put it up on the window! :D

Em...I agree with the sentiments but I don't think anyone but one of us internet nerds would get the facepalm thing. TBH the idea is a bit 'facepalmy':o

I know one of the gombeen councillors who supported this, really is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

according to the radio the decision has been reversed, the motorway WILL be opened on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Could it have been they wanted better stats for 2010 RE infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

peasant wrote: »
    according to the radio the decision has been reversed, the motorway WILL be opened on Monday.

Yeah tha AA have it that it will open on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm shocked the RSA have nothing to say about this.

For the 2nd time this morning I'll say that they are the most useless organisation in Ireland.

Too busy trying to keep men off the roads and wrapping builder vests around anything that a poorly trained driver might crash into to be worrying about tangible improvements to road safety.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

seamus wrote: »
    whycliff, this has been an ongoing argument at every small town that's been bypassed for the last 40 years and it's still completely invalid today.

Studies have shown that when a town gets bypassed, trade in that town actually *increases* because people don't avoid it any more. Previously if given the option of (for example) taking the N4 to Dublin to shop or going the opposite direction towards Enfield, people would go to Dublin because the traffic in Enfield would make shopping a nightmare. Now they go to Enfield because Enfield has been bypassed and the only traffic is shopping traffic.

I'm know of that study Seamus. Your point is vaild and i'm sure its correct.

I'm not sure if you know Castledermot or if you've only drove through it or whatever, but its not a shopping town, it never has nor will it ever will be.

It is a small town and the businesses within it will restructure themselves to service the Towns needs and not the Town and its passing traffic which will of course be very limited.
    It has a couple of pubs, few grocers and a bookies.

My comments are not only in relation to Castledermot, they are in relation to the businesses that are on the Castledermot to Kilcullen Road.

Walls of Kilgowan firstly are a Restaurant/Pub that would soley rely on passing trade on a busy road.

There is also a fairly newly built Service station at Ballytore whom will be hit hugely, as all his trade would be passing trade.

There are others too, but they are the only ones that spring to mind.

I agree totally the Motorway should be opened as soon as it possible, as i said - unlike many of the posters on this thread I use that road on a weekly basis.

I'm also saying i emphatize with the local businesses.As you can understand,it has been a tough year on them.

Also, the people on here with the mob mentality should get a grip.
    I mean one person earlier said he was never going to use the service station again- Why because the owner was trying to save his business and employee's.

Crazy stuff Seamus i'm sure you'll agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

On Matt Cooper, item just finished:

Martin Miley local something or other (councillor?) maintains that there were health and safety issues* which gave the area engineer concerns, and that at no time was anyone lobbied on behalf of petrol station owners...
    These health and safety issues have obviously been resolved since this morning...

*possibly along the lines of "Chrisht, the shpeed the shpeed mary, they'll kill us all, won't somebody think of the children"

langdang wrote: »
    On Matt Cooper, item just finished:

Martin Miley local something or other (councillor?) maintains that there were health and safety issues* which gave the area engineer concerns, and that at no time was anyone lobbied on behalf of petrol station owners...
    These health and safety issues have obviously been resolved since this morning...

*possibly along the lines of "Chrisht, the shpeed the shpeed mary, they'll kill us all, won't somebody think of the children"

He is a local councillor alright, I cant see how there were Health and Safety concerns.
    We'll prob never hear the truth as the quick backtrack means the whole incident nearly never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I'm know of that study Seamus. Your point is vaild and i'm sure its correct.

I'm not sure if you know Castledermot or if you've only drove through it or whatever, but its not a shopping town, it never has nor will it ever will be.

It is a small town and the businesses within it will restructure themselves to service the Towns needs and not the Town and its passing traffic which will of course be very limited.
    It has a couple of pubs, few grocers and a bookies.

My comments are not only in relation to Castledermot, they are in relation to the businesses that are on the Castledermot to Kilcullen Road.

Walls of Kilgowan firstly are a Restaurant/Pub that would soley rely on passing trade on a busy road.

There is also a fairly newly built Service station at Ballytore whom will be hit hugely, as all his trade would be passing trade.

So you would prefer people are forced to travel a route to keep a business like this going? Personally I would be glad a business like this would be closing as they did not have the foresight to realise that their business would drop significantly once the new road was opened and thus should not have redeveloped the service station.
    There are others too, but they are the only ones that spring to mind.

I agree totally the Motorway should be opened as soon as it possible, as i said - unlike many of the posters on this thread I use that road on a weekly basis.

I'm also saying i emphatize with the local businesses.As you can understand,it has been a tough year on them.

Also, the people on here with the mob mentality should get a grip.
    I mean one person earlier said he was never going to use the service station again- Why because the owner was trying to save his business and employee's.

Crazy stuff Seamus i'm sure you'll agree.

Yes , exactly. That business is selfish by doing so and the tax paying public who paid for this new road have a right to use it. I sympathize with the local businesses but again if they had not made alternative arrangements at this stage to augment their business or change their business strategy then they deserve nothing. If you want a good efficient economy that does not penalise a large proportion of people to benefit a few businesses it should never have been considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I just updated my maps on the satnav, setting it to go to dublin now and it's directing me on to this road..that's not open :p

slightly annoying as it's constantly resetting itself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I use the road on a weekly basis and i have to admit its frustrating at Castledermot to say the least but if i thought that it would save jobs by leaving it until the New year to Open, i'd struggle on.

If people do not buy petrol etc in Castledermot then they will buy it somewhere else. The total spend in the economy will be exactly the same and the net effect on jobs from people buying things will be zero and some businesses will benefit from the reduced travel time.

It is a measure of the disastrous calibre of this sad government that consideration was given to this. They cannot even organise a good news event like the opening of a motorway properly.

• Advertisement

Mrmoe wrote: »
    So you would prefer people are forced to travel a route to keep a business like this going? Personally I would be glad a business like this would be closing as they did not have the foresight to realise that their business would drop significantly once the new road was opened and thus should not have redeveloped the service station.

Yes , exactly. That business is selfish by doing so and the tax paying public who paid for this new road have a right to use it. I sympathize with the local businesses but again if they had not made alternative arrangements at this stage to augment their business or change their business strategy then they deserve nothing. If you want a good efficient economy that does not penalise a large proportion of people to benefit a few businesses it should never have been considered.

Any business plan or strategy that these businesses or indeed any business would have had in place fro 2009/2010 have been well ripped up by now along with everyone elses in the country.

Chances are the business owners may have made a plea possibly expecting nothing to come of it to local councillors, i dont know.
    And then something did, i dont think they should be made ot suffer for it.
    They are after all lookinf after their livelyhood.

I'm sure wherever you work, (thats assuming you do work, there is no guarantee's these days) you would like them to do all they could to preserve your job and the company.

Advertisement