Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OT: Ever slept in your car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jameson4me

did this a few times at rallies wen i was on sh1t money. had a focus van and was quite comfy, mainly due to the coma i was in from alcahol:D

not advised thou as a mate of mine sat in his car in town after a night out to eat a burger before gettin a taxi. he was even in the passenger seat and lost the licence for 3 months..

got done for been incharge of a vehicle while intoxicated:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

have you put any tought into this it is a bad idea
    lke you have been told cold night hot mornings no privacy ,trouble with the cops ,property and personal security issues.
    buy a cheep van a transit maybe make sure its diesel,
    get a panel van and you have a perfect stelth camper
    a matress or pull out sofa bed in the back
    sorted
    and you can sleep in city center and no one knows

kingspan insulation will regulate tempratures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I drive a saloon mk1 focus and i've slept in it 4 times since I got it in June or July. I knock down the back seats the the whole back is almost flat. If I put my feet at the rear right lamp I put my head at the left side of the car where the seat usually is, throw in a pillow and covers if I go parting in another county.

One morning I woke severely dehydrated and absolutely baking hot! It was very nasty that times but hey it stopped me drinking and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Mitsubishi Space Wagon.
    Back seats go back, middle seats fold flat and makes a space that takes a double inflatable camping mattress - plus there's a roof light for reading at the back,
    and a stereo. Most imports at least have tinted windows and some even have curtains.
    We've had three of them over the last many years. The best was a 2.0 litre diesel '97 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

7 series, great place to sleep! I was once waiting on a delivery at a locked premises and had no idea what time it was arriving at, so brought my duvet and pillow and drove on up.

Reclined the seat (leather armchair should I say) to nearly flat, stuck the TV on, pulled the duvet over and dozed off after 10 minutes. I had set the heating to come on an hour later as i expected it to get chilly by then and woke up with the Fedex man knocking on the window 2 hours later. He wanted to know if my girlfriend had kicked me out of the house... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Buy a hiace, line the rear with kingspan, put a roof vent in the roof, make up some simple curtains for the front and rear window, put a matress in the back, buy a portable shower, a porto loo and a fire extinguisher and away you go.
    forget the car idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Slept in an almera when at a house party once. I had to get some sleep so went out. Reclined the seat and left the window a lil open and locked the doors.

Woke up to at 7 am to drunken friends 'washing' the car with a muddy brush! :mad:

Other time was on a road journey where I was falling asleep. I carried a blanket in the boot so i reclined the passenger seat and kipped for 2hours

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jeez OP, nothing says marraige material like sleeping in your car on your holidays. :eek:

I have slept in my car out of neccesity at nights away with the lads and during the matchmaker festival in Lisdoonvarna. The entire car park is full of legs hanging out of cars. Its mad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would rather sleep rough in a good sleeping bag or tent than sleep in a car.
    On the shower issue, I only recently took out the shower from my TLC.
    It is a miniature heat exchanger that runs off the cooling system and uses a boat washdown pump to provide the power. I fitted mine in about 3hrs
    Glind is the maker IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Have you checked out Couchsurfing.org? It's a network of people from all over the world who take in foreign travellers and give them a bed for the night for free. You get a bed, a shower and someone local who can show you around. Brilliant way to see the world. I've had people from all over Europe stay with me and I'll be staying with locals in Morocco next year. Great site. And there's no obligation to host visitors if you don't want to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If you do intend on sleeping in your car for this trip, get one of these

Previa

Big enough to stretch out in, seats fold flat or just take them out altogether, all the nice bits, aircon, most have tinted windows and some of the jap imports even have curtains in them.. add to that its diesel, 4wd for most and cruise control in most models, its perfect for touring around in.

Seriously though, I'd only sleep in one if I had to, otherwise stay in hostels, they are cheap as chips.. Id hate to have to drive for hours on only a few hours kip in an uncomfortable van/car/whatever you choose if it isnt kitted out right..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Neonjack wrote: »
    Have you checked out Couchsurfing.org? It's a network of people from all over the world who take in foreign travellers and give them a bed for the night for free. You get a bed, a shower and someone local who can show you around. Brilliant way to see the world. I've had people from all over Europe stay with me and I'll be staying with locals in Morocco next year. Great site. And there's no obligation to host visitors if you don't want to.

A mate of mine uses that site and says its class..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

That Glind system looks great I've never seen that type of exchanger system before. Then again, I'm not a regular in R.M.M&C.

We took the Caddy on holidays this year, and slept in it a couple of nights with an air mattress, some of the best night's sleep I've ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm not a motorhomer or caravanner, I had it for when I was diving and wanted to have a quick shower to wash the salt off.It would be a great thing on a camper though.

Advertisement