Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychologist Susan Blackmore devoted years of her life studying the paranormal

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Wicknight wrote: »
    The type that gives you the answer you want it to give you, obviously ;)

that seems more like a kangaroo court than an investigation.
    Pss, science is for losers. The real excitement is in personal assessment.

Well that fairly much reveals your own biased position. But how can you have an "assessment" if you don't have objective standards?

And if you already decide the sort of outcome you want and ignore what you don't want and you apply this PERSONALLY to people ho wis that any different from how Stalinists or Nazis behaved?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ISAW wrote: »
    that seems more like a kangaroo court than an investigation.

Well that fairly much reveals your own biased position. But how can you have an "assessment" if you don't have objective standards?

And if you already decide the sort of outcome you want and ignore what you don't want and you apply this PERSONALLY to people ho wis that any different from how Stalinists or Nazis behaved?

psssssst!
    Read the thread!!!

psssssst!
    Read the thread!!!

Your point being????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Your point being????

Seemed like you were talking to Wicknight as if he were a beliver.

Seemed like you were talking to Wicknight as if he were a beliver.

I don't think anyone's personal beliefs or lack of them should have any influence on testing the claims made. That's part of what experimental protocols and blind tests are meant to remove.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't think anyone's personal beliefs or lack of them should have any influence on testing the claims made. That's part of what experimental protocols and blind tests are meant to remove.
    I think that Wicknight was being facetious... which Genghiz was pointing out... which is making us stray off the topic... (there is a topic...). This whole thread seems to be how someones personal beliefs DID influence what testing was carried out, and some here think, pursued way beyond what is rational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What I think this thread is about is that whereas a lot of people might casually believe in the paranormal very few are willing to spend any time genuinely investigating that belief.

If you have a strong but unfounded belief in the paranormal you are likely to regard research into the paranormal that produces negative results as in some way hostile. You then, since you lack a foundation for your beliefs, respond with ad-hominem attacks rather than reasoned arguments in an attempt to make the evidence go away.

Either her research is valid or it is invalid. However her critics on this thread have not bothered to look into the actual research at all, and I think the reason for this is that they fear that they will find something that will challenge their beliefs.

What if you formed those beliefs on the basis of what felt like profound personal experience? What does that make you if there's nothing to this paranormal business? Hence you lash out.

Advertisement