Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Globe Awards 2010 (TV)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Gervais was great as host

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Lady Justice wept today

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

It's official Americans have no sense of humour!
    'Tasteless and unfunny': Critics maul Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais after string of X-rated jokes

There was plenty of hype surrounding Ricky Gervais' turn as Golden Globes host, but disappointed critics have branded his performance 'tasteless' and 'unfunny'.

The Office star fronted the 67th Golden Globe Awards in Los Angeles for the first time last night, taking a swipe at everyone from Mel Gibson to Angelina Jolie with some X-rated comments thrown in about himself.

But the British comedian's irreverent routine did not impress tough U.S. critics.

Bill Zwecker wrote in the Chicago Sun-Times: 'Ricky Gervais, one of the most anticipated awards show hosts in recent memory, was a big disappointment as he opened the 67th annual Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night.

'From a flat, self-congratulatory series of quips about Steve Carell... to a stale joke about the omnipresence of plastic surgery in Hollywood, to a tasteless group of penis jokes, to unfunny jokes about Hugh Laurie and Kiefer Sutherland, Gervais only generated embarrassed chuckles from the assembled Tinseltown luminaries.'

Respected industry magazine Entertainment Weekly listed Gervais' performance under their Best and Worst moments list, with it falling under the latter.

Hollywood Reporter called Gervais 'surprisingly uninspired' and claimed his jokes 'didn't land a blow, let alone draw blood'.

But some media outlets did praise the comedian, with Radar Online describing him as 'on fire'.

Fellow Brit Sir Paul McCartney fell victim to one of his less successful gags, with Gervais making fun of his costly divorce from ex-wife, Heather Mills.

As Gervais introduced the Best Original Song category, for which Macca was nominated, he said: 'We actually came over on the same flight. I didn't get to speak to him because I was up the front in first class.

'He was behind me in coach. Saving money. He spent an awful lot last year.

The camera showed a stony-faced McCartney - who was at the show with his American socialite girlfriend, Nancy Shevell - as the crowd began to boo.

'I don't think we have to feel too sorry for him,' Gervais assured. 'He's doing alright.'

McCartney's song lost out to winner, The Weary Kind, from Jeff Bridges flick, Crazy Heart.

Gervais sipped on a glass of beer during the show at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles, quipping at one point: 'I like a drink as much as the next man... unless the next man is Mel Gibson.'

As Gibson - who was convicted of drink driving in 2006 - walked on to present the Best Director gong, he pretended to slur his words.

And before he introduced Colin Farrell, Gervais joked: 'One stereotype I hate is that all Irishmen are just drunk, swearing hell raisers.

'Please welcome Colin Farrell.'

As he arrived on stage to present the award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical, he said: 'Oh, I once was a cliche.

'I heard Ricky had specifically asked to introduce me and I thought, "Oh, balls".'

Few were spared a lashing by Gervais, who at one point said: 'Just looking at all the faces here reminds me of the great work that's been done this year... by cosmetic surgeons. You all look great.

At that punchline, the camera quickly cut away from Meryl Streep, instead opting for a long shot of the crowd.

'It is an honour to be here in a room full of what I consider to be the most important people on the planet: actors.

'They're just better than ordinary people, aren't they?

He said: 'Actors aren't just loved here in Hollywood, they're loved the world over because they're recognisable. You can be in the Third World and you get a glimpse of a Hollywood star and it makes you feel better.

'You can be a little child, a little Asian child, with no possessions, no money - but you see a picture of Angelina Jolie and you think, 'Mummy!'

Jolie and husband Brad Pitt skipped the event, but the star-studded audience, including Robert De Niro, Cameron Diaz and Matt Damon seemed to be enjoying his brand of humour.

He also turned the air blue at one point when he claimed to have had 'penis reduction' surgery - going from two male members to just one.

He joked that he would rather be at home pleasuring himself than being watched by millions.

He said: 'I've had a little bit of work done. I've had a penis reduction. Just got the one now.

'And it is very tiny. But so are my hands. So when I'm holding it, it looks pretty big.

'And let's face it I usually am holding it. I wish I was doing that now, instead of this, to be honest.

Gervais, 48, also took the opportunity to plug the original BBC version of his show The Office, holding up a DVD box set of the hit programme and urging viewers to buy it, rather than watch the American spin-off, which stars funnyman Steve Carell.

Carell could be seen in the audience jokingly mouthing that he was going to "kill" Gervais for his remarks.

He said: 'I'm not used to these sort of viewing figures He also plugged his website later on the show - and his latest DVD release, The Invention of Lying.

He said: 'I've had hundreds of emails asking me why The Invention of Lying wasn't nominated.

'I don't know why! Maybe the DVD will win an award... That's out on Tuesday at Walmart." And at the end of the broadcast he urged viewers to tune into his new HBO series.

But he didn't dare take the Mickey out of one celeb - hardman Mickey Rourke.

He said: 'I haven't got a bad word to say about him...mainly because he has arms as big as my legs.'

Gervais, who won a Globe in 2004 for his work in The Office, admitted before the show that he was planning to defy orders from producers to clean up his material.

He confessed: 'There were about five things they didn't like (in rehearsal). I said I won't do them - but I'm going to do them. It's live, so what can they do? They can't stop me.'

Earlier, Sir Paul McCartney, who was presenting the award for Best Animation, had the celebrity crowd in fits of laughter when he made a joke about drugs.

The singer said: 'I'm Paul McCartney, or as I'm now known, that guy from [video game] Rock Band.

'Animation is not just for children. It is also for adults who take drugs.'

As audience members - including Julia Roberts - laughed, he added: 'So let's take a look at the films that were nominated by drug-taking adults.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1244230/Golden-Globes-Critics-maul-tastless-unfunny-host-Ricky-Gervais.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Of course,blame the americans. I also thought he was useless. then again I can't stand the guy. I think he had one good hit in the office and I can't stand extras. He is smug and unfunny and he just really annoys me.

But that's just my opinion of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Highlights on Sky 1 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

tvnutz wrote: »
    Of course,blame the americans. I also thought he was useless. then again I can't stand the guy. I think he had one good hit in the office and I can't stand extras. He is smug and unfunny and he just really annoys me.

But that's just my opinion of course :)

His 11 O'Clock show performances were good also.

But looking at the YouTube video he did an excellent job. However I am guessing that NBC will be dealing with a complaint from the FCC.

He is playing up the smugness, isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Delighted that John Lithgow won! he was just amazing as Trinity

I have to admit I was in 2 minds about best actor between Michael C Hall and Jon Hamm...mainly cause i love them both..but was happy with the outcome! delighted for him and hopefully everything will be ok with him health wise and we can look forward to another amazing season of Dexter.

I think if Jon Hamm won, Dexter would have got the Best Drama but seeing as Michael C Hall won, Mad Men took that gong. there was no way they were going to leave it that it didnt walk away with one of the major honors!

gutted that Jane Lynch didnt win. i just watched all of Glee lately and she is just brilliant - google her quotes and honestly they are just brilliant. one of my favourite being "Sue: All I want is just one day a year when I'm not visually assaulted by uglies and fatties"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Gervais was top class. Pulled no punches!

Video is down. Any alternative links for the Gervais bits?

The ratings were good with Gervais hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

I liked Gervais as host only person better would have been Conan :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did Gervais not host the Film part of the Golden Globes (i.e. not relevant to this thread)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Video is down. Any alternative links for the Gervais bits?

All the youtube clips are gone.

Try this

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/ricky-gervais-hosting-the-globes-video.html

Did Gervais not host the Film part of the Golden Globes (i.e. not relevant to this thread)?

yes there is another thread in the films forum for that part

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

only started watching dexter a month aga and finished season four
    yesterday.
    I think its brilliant and it would have been an injustice had
    lithgow not won the award for the trinity killer

Advertisement