Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Serious lack of auto electricians!

Options
  • 15-12-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if there's a gap in the market, or if there's no market at all, but I've been looking for what I thought would be pretty easy to find, an auto electrician who can do a call out and have no problem fitting customer bought items and doing a few repairs.

I've posted on adverts here: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=170688&cat=500, I've tried gumtree, buyandsell, donedeal, google and haven't had any luck. I've even posted a thread in this forum and no luck either: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62701035

I have a problem with a tail lift so can't drive to them, plus I want work done on more than one vehicle so don't want to have to go back and forth and I bought my own gadgets which I have sitting here waiting to be fitted. A few hours work for someone experienced in auto electrics, wiring and tail lifts with their own tools and I can't find anyone :confused:

Has anyone else had better luck? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Interesting idea. Although the diagnostic stuff could cost a fair bit. I know of one guy who likes vehicle diagnostics so much that he's considering giving uo is job as an airline pilot :eek: (He's not in Ireland though, sorry OP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Maybe you should google Truck breakdown and recovery services in your area.
    Then phone a few and see if they can help or point you in the right direction.
    Some of them must have or know a mobile mechanic close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

I dont know where your based but Paul Donnelly auto electrical in Naas are fairly good

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies :) I'm based in Dun Laoghaire myself. I don't really need any diagnostics done, but I guess some people would. But for things like fitting radios and other kits, I would have thought this would be a common request. Don't fancy having the van towed anywhere as that would probably cost double what a call out would cost if there was somebody I could find to call out of course :)

I did get a quote off a crowd in Rathcoole but the distance means there's a minimum fee of €150 before any work is even done, which is what someone more local may charge for 3 hours work, which would probably be enough time to sort out everything I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

cormie wrote: »
    I don't know if there's a gap in the market, or if there's no market at all, but I've been looking for what I thought would be pretty easy to find, an auto electrician who can do a call out and have no problem fitting customer bought items and doing a few repairs.

I've posted on adverts here: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=170688&cat=500, I've tried gumtree, buyandsell, donedeal, google and haven't had any luck. I've even posted a thread in this forum and no luck either: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62701035

I have a problem with a tail lift so can't drive to them, plus I want work done on more than one vehicle so don't want to have to go back and forth and I bought my own gadgets which I have sitting here waiting to be fitted. A few hours work for someone experienced in auto electrics, wiring and tail lifts with their own tools and I can't find anyone :confused:

Has anyone else had better luck? :)

my son is doing auto electrics for the next 3 years has 2 done. it is not a trade as such you dont go to fas and get papers

• Advertisement

Is it a 5 year course or work experience? Would he know how to do the above? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

cormie wrote: »
    Is it a 5 year course or work experience? Would he know how to do the above? :D

Its 5 years woring in a place where they do that kind of thing. i dont know what he can do at this stage were in kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Id say your problem may be the gadgets you want fitted that you bought yourself cormie. I fitted car alarms for a few years and would constantly get people looking for bits n bobs fitted that they got on ebay ect.

I had awful hassle once after having my arm twisted to fit a cheapo remote start unit and decided never to do it again, its hard for people to understand you cant give a warranty on the product but only the work, when a fault arises with the product they presume its your work thats the fault not there full spec alarm that cost €5!

I know what you're saying eireal, I know I bought budget options, I just don't have the funds for spending €200 or so on a supplied and fitted product. If it starts acting up, I'll know it's 99% likely to be the product as opposed to the installation and definitely won't be after the installer for a free fix.

Fancy a few hours work? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

An auto electrician is a person who deals with the electrics on a vehicle, it is not a recognised trade. A mechanic or automotive technician does every sort of thing on a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Lol I wish, I packed it in as I went back to college but there's no shortage of work out there for guys. I dont blame you for buying within your budget, but if you havnt bought the alarm already stay clear of the likes of remote start with what your driving, the factory immoblisor would need to be bypassed to fit it and if anything its decreasing the level of security thats already there. Better off sticking with a standard alarm as opposed to remote start.

Try this guy, his names Liam - 046-9024853 or 086-4000567 he's based in Navan but also does mobile in Dublin, you may be able to twist his arm into the other bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There's a guy local to me (NW area) that does auto electrics, he is flat-out busy, every time i'm there he has a couple of cars in the garage and a few sitting outside waiting to have work done. Far too busy to do call outs and you would normally wait a few weeks for an appointment.
    During the boom days he couldn't get an apprentice as all the young lads would just go into labouring etc and start making money much sooner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

eireal wrote: »
    Lol I wish, I packed it in as I went back to college but there's no shortage of work out there for guys. I dont blame you for buying within your budget, but if you havnt bought the alarm already stay clear of the likes of remote start with what your driving, the factory immoblisor would need to be bypassed to fit it and if anything its decreasing the level of security thats already there. Better off sticking with a standard alarm as opposed to remote start.

Try this guy, his names Liam - 046-9024853 or 086-4000567 he's based in Navan but also does mobile in Dublin, you may be able to twist his arm into the other bits!

Would also recommend Liam, he has done some work for me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you tried ringing some local ICE shops? They may have/know people who would do installs for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

As has already been said, there is no such thing as an auto elec apprenticeship.

This IMO needs to be sorted, there is a lad in the garage where I work who was supposed to doing this but now is just doing Tachos and speedlimiters.

I hate doing wiring especially is someone has been rummaging in there before me!

Advertisement