Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Auto Electricians Here?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just seeing for now if there's anyone here who'd be able to come to a south Dublin address to fit and fix a few things. I'd be there to help with anything and might be asking a few questions about how you do this and that.

Looking to get the following done:

Indicator Earth (Ford Transit 02): Strange problem here, when I indicate left, the indicator works as normal, but if I press the brake, the indicator starts going much faster. I've tried replace the bulb holder but the problem is still there so I've been told it's probably an earth out of place but I haven't a clue how to solve this myself.

Reversing Sensor: Would be looking to buy 2 of these sets myself: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10283 and to have it fitted to a) 14ft luton body Ford Transit and b) Opel Astra Van. Needs to be connected to reversing light so it only comes on when the light does so a bit of wiring required. Will also need to be fitted to a metal bumper (so little holes drilled in the metal) on the transit and the beeper/display to be trailed into the cab. Hopefully the cable will be long enough for Transit, if not, perhaps the excess from Astra set could be cut off and fitted?

Alarm: Haven't researched this at all but would be looking to get something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Central-Locking-Remote-start-car-alarm-immobiliser-UK_W0QQitemZ360196495542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53dd6258b6 fitted.

If anyone here has experience doing this kind of thing and has their own tools they could bring for crimping, soldering, drilling, fixing or whatever else is needed and would like to give perhaps a base price (of getting to me and home) plus a per hour price please let me know :)

Will need to order the things and all that so just looking for an idea of anyone who could help at the moment.

Also, if anyone could recommend an after market alarm kit (doesn't need to be central locking or remote or anything fancy like that, just concerned of security, not laziness :P) that would be great.

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Have you a tow-bar fitted? It's possible that the earthing problem could be here. If you take the tail-lamps out, have a look to see if any of the wires are exposed or if there's any corrosion around the joints.

EDIT: By joints, I mean where the tow-bar wiring is brought up to the tail-lamps and spliced in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a bit of corrosion on the male end of the wiring harness that goes into the bulb holder. I replaced the bulb holder though and no difference. I don't have a tow-bar but I do have reversing sensors on this vehicle and actually since the problem started, I notice also that if I press the brake and somebody comes to close in slow traffic, that the sensor will beep a bit. I don't think this happened before. I imagine the reversing sensor may also be connected to the reversing light.

This is an area I don't really have a clue about though so if there's anyone who fancies a bit of work who has the tools and the know-how, please let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Fixed indicator problem with advice I was sent in a PM :)

I was recommended electrical contact cleaner and it seems to have worked a charm. Just sprayed it on the harness and in each hole and out the other and the opposite again and the lights seem fine now :)

Advertisement