Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to SciFi?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Boston wrote: »
    Theres a code to the room and a code to the building. I'll drop by later in the week to get both, thanks.
    Thanks for telling me. I never knew there were two codes. :rolleyes: Members know the code to the building, committee members know the code to the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thanks for telling me. I never knew there were two codes. :rolleyes: Members know the code to the building, committee members know the code to the room.
    Members know the code, that's all that's necessary.

The code
    implies that there is in fact only one code. People may mistakenly believe that the code you refer to allows access both to the building and the room. I had no doubt that you where aware of the existence of both codes, however you seemed unable to communicate that detail effectively. Perhaps a little less sauce from you darling would go along way towards getting that husband or is this some ham-purple-fisted attempt at gaining my attentions? You really need to get over my previous attempts to destroy your online persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Boston wrote: »

The code
    implies that there is in fact only one code. People may mistakenly believe that the code you refer to allows access both to the building and the room.
    There need only be one code as far as normal member are concerned. Once you know the first code, the room is either open or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bingbing

Stop moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

Fo Real wrote: »
    If you want to complain about hacks let's talk about the classical society, gender equality society or the alternative music society (to name but a few). They don't do anything and exist solely to stroke the egos of their committee members (who are usually their only members). It sickens me that they are given grants by the CSC. A society should have to have a minimum quota of 200 members and hold an event at least once a fortnight.

Pardon? We do plenty, thanks. over 350 members, weekly meetings, two gigs held in Twisted Pepper this term, two film screenings (I know they're easy to but it's still activity), 3 open mic nights which were all very well attended (2 hosted in collaboration with Litsoc) and last Tuesday we had our Chistmas party.
    Care to explain on what grounds you're calling us hacks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

Being a hack is great. Live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Tarka wrote: »
    Pardon? We do plenty, thanks. over 350 members, weekly meetings, two gigs held in Twisted Pepper this term, two film screenings (I know they're easy to but it's still activity), 3 open mic nights which were all very well attended (2 hosted in collaboration with Litsoc) and last Tuesday we had our Chistmas party.
    Care to explain on what grounds you're calling us hacks?

Yawn.

The irony that "alternative" music has beome a mainstream genre in itself seems to have passed over you.
    Hurry guys, I heard there is a new obscure band on myspace that no one has heard of, that only intellectual, progressive people (like us) appreciate. You should totally check it out.

Also the Middle East sounds like a totally awesome place to visit. I dont believe all the stuff the media says about it - it's awesome, clean, 'interesting' and I'm sure the peaceful, open minded citizens love white people and will have a great time bonding on a spiritual level.

Maybe they would let you smoke pot with them and sit in a drum circle and talk about how the world doesn't understand your 'clearly superior' ways of thinking and taste in music. After all, today's music has become so commercial.

:(
    Truth bullets make me a sad panda.
    Is it that you've come to some of our meetings/events and don't like what you've seen, you don't like the committee, or you just don't like the name?

Also, I know it's been said already but Sci-Fi do well to keep the place open as much as they do. VG society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

I love the way Fo Real's signature mentions reconsidering contributing if you cannot be mature and then posts comments as above (I know its not anywhere near the most immature thing on boards ever but still)

Tarka, I would guess he might have visited the DUAMS/DURNS forum, there is a little bit of lets talk about 'obscure' (to some people) music, etc. At least for someone more on the outside. I blame Kealy for most of it.

I actually don't know what its like now (I haven't been a good member in the last year or so) but there used to be no real hacks invovled (might be different now).

I actually somewhat agree with with Fo Real that alternative not being an apt term (it beats rock nostalgia for explaining whats done though). Although I hope you appreciate the irony of saying that they are mainstream one sentence and looking at obscure bands the next (complaining in both cases).

Signature now seems to be gone which makes me look ridiculous:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Sorry everyone for that continuation of off topicness.

On topic, the op's attitude is ridiculous, while I'm not around house 6 much anymore it is stupid to think the room can be opened every hour of every day. It also seems from above comments that the room is open a lot of the time.

I do agree that going to the top of house 6 just to turn around again can make a person angry even though its no ones fault. If a system could be contrived to let people know if the rooms open that would be great. How about a poster of some sort that you can stick up on the noticeboard or stairwell towards the bottom of the stairs, although there's probably a regulation against doing this:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Marsie, none of that 'obscure bands we talk about' stuff is really relevant anyway. I just took/take issue with him calling us hacks and stating that we don't do anything when I and the rest of the committee put a lot of effort into keeping DUAMS a good and active society. As I'm sure do all the other societies he listed too.
    Knows not of what he rants.

Anyway, yeah apologies for continued off-topicness. The defence rests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

mar-z wrote: »
    I do agree that going to the top of house 6 just to turn around again can make a person angry even though its no ones fault. If a system could be contrived to let people know if the rooms open that would be great. How about a poster of some sort that you can stick up on the noticeboard or stairwell towards the bottom of the stairs, although there's probably a regulation against doing this:rolleyes:.

Putting up posters is out - we can't use the CSC's noticeboards for anything other than posters advertising our events, and free standing posters will get reported so quickly that whoever went to put it up will be fined personally as they walk past CSC on the way back to the room. We can't put up big flashy posters in our windows either - there's a regulation for that too (some BS about the "aesthetic" of Front Square).

BUT!

We've just cleaned out some stuff from our room and can now reach our windows, and we had a brilliant idea! Now that we can reach the shutters again, someone suggested that we close the shutters when we close the room. This is an awesome idea - at night you'd see the lights on in the room anyway, and in the daytime, since the shutters are white, you can clearly see when they're open. So, yeah, this could work. We'll start next term.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

It seems the college bends over to every whim made by an ethnic minority. Serioulsy: how many Jews or blacks are actually in TCD?

If you really want to save money, scrap these circle-jerk clubs.

Are you for real? There are plenty of "Jews and blacks" in TCD - I happen to know plenty. Just because you might not associate with or open your eyes to the ethnic diversity around you in university doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Let me assure you, it does.

How does College "bend to every whim made by an ethnic minority"? What are you on about? What evidence do you have to make such a claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Yawn.

The irony that "alternative" music has beome a mainstream genre in itself seems to have passed over you.
    Hurry guys, I heard there is a new obscure band on myspace that no one has heard of, that only intellectual, progressive people (like us) appreciate. You should totally check it out.

Also the Middle East sounds like a totally awesome place to visit. I dont believe all the stuff the media says about it - it's awesome, clean, 'interesting' and I'm sure the peaceful, open minded citizens love white people and will have a great time bonding on a spiritual level.

Maybe they would let you smoke pot with them and sit in a drum circle and talk about how the world doesn't understand your 'clearly superior' ways of thinking and taste in music. After all, today's music has become so commercial.

Are you living in a ****ing dream world? Thats probably some of the most presumptuous garbage I've ever read. You've obviously never met anyone in the society or attended any events hosted by DUAMS or DUAMS/LitSoc, and just have some creepy little vendetta against anything you constitute as fake. Yes the word alternative is ridiculous in a musical sense, but for christs sake, get over yourself.

As for the Sci-Fi room, almost always open when I go up, people are friendly, as the new gear they've gotten is great. All in all I think they do a splendid job.

Advertisement