Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many students with too much free time

Options
  • 14-12-2009 1:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Just got this email from the Student Union. Frankly, any woman daft enough to forget to take her pill deserves the consequences. Is this BS service actually costing the SU (and hence, us) any money? Why does our generation insist on delegating responsibility to the extent where we need a text message to remind us to do daily, routine things? Why oh why does the SU think this is a good idea? Do they just sit around all day vainly trying to come up with ways of justifying their pointless institution? Honestly, such a waste of time and energy.

Rant over.

Do you remember the oral contraception survey you carried out in October? Thank you for your participation and all your comments. It is now quite clear that there is a need for an urgent response to the use of contraception and ways to combat against its ineffective use.
    Two students have been eagerly working on a new and exciting project, safetext.ie, which will send daily text messages to remind its users to take their oral contraception.
    safetext.ie wants to tackle the problem of forgetting to take the contraceptive pill once and for all.
    We are aiming to launch this service in the New Year but we need your help first. By logging onto our website and entering your email address, you will then be generating an interest in the service. Without this, we cannot go further with the project. If there is sufficient interest we can work on making sure that this service is up and running soon. We will then be able to keep you up to date with our progress and the date we go live.
    Remember this service will be entirely free for you to use. We aim for a professional service that you can trust, and one that we can both be proud of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Denerick wrote: »
    Frankly, any woman daft enough to forget to take her pill deserves the consequences.

I think that's overly harsh, in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Jev/N wrote: »
    I think that's overly harsh, in fairness.

Well maybe, but the point is if you're big enough to do the deed you should be big enough to bear the consequences. Why do we need Big Brother to constantly hold our hand through life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Seems their stance is:

"Dont cut money from the library, give it to us so we can remind people not to get pregnant." Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Is it just me, or does the OP seem like kind of a doucher?
    Just gonna throw that one out there folks..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Seems like a pretty stupid idea, just setting an alarm / daily appointment would serve the very same purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Costing the SU?!?! What do you think unplanned pregnancies cost the state? If this service legitimately improves the success rate of contraceptives then I have little argument against it, and I can't see how anyone else would.

Also, Baza, that's exactly what I thought, but sure we're engineers, what do we know about women?

All I know is how to use technology. Are women technology?

Good question, my only thought is we better consult with a bio-mech engineer. They'll surely know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not gotten the ride in a while eh, op?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Look guys, it's probably cheaper for the SU to send the BESS girls a few mass texts than it would be to pay for their abortions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

bythewoods wrote: »
    Look guys, it's probably cheaper for the SU to send the BESS girls a few mass texts than it would be to pay for their abortions.

I suppose they could get some 1st year Med students to perform them instead. This way they could divert funds into sorting out the tea situation in the Hamiltion instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Pointless thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

bythewoods wrote: »

I was going to say something highly inappropriate here, then decided against. :p

Denerick, tell the truth, you're a virgin aren't you? No, choking the chicken doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Should the SU even be pushing oral contraceptives? Given the nature of young people and their whoring ways surely condoms should be the main focus?

devinejay wrote: »
    Costing the SU?!?! What do you think unplanned pregnancies cost the state? If this service legitimately improves the success rate of contraceptives then I have little argument against it, and I can't see how anyone else would.

Also, Baza, that's exactly what I thought, but sure we're engineers, what do we know about women?

Umm... Thats peoples personal responsibility? 'The success rate of contraceptives'?? The one sure way of guaranteeing the success rate of contraceptives is to wear the blooming things! 'I can't see how anyone else would', in life, you'll come across people (Admittedly few) who have strong beliefs about personal responsibility and who don't expect someone else to come along and take responsibility for every bloody problem they may or may not have in their ridicilously mollycuddled lives. We've become a nanny state, only the nanny has been replaced by a prostitute.

dan719 wrote: »
    I was going to say something highly inappropriate here, then decided against. :p

Denerick, tell the truth, you're a virgin aren't you? No, choking the chicken doesn't count.

By all means, turn this thread into some machismo chest beating 'who's got the biggest cock' fest if you want.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i suppose its better the that this be funded then having to fun children born after an accident.

Anyway, anyone taking any kind of medication, (the pill or antiboticis or whatever) should be able to regulate it propperly anyway, as part of their routine anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

gaybitch wrote: »
    Pointless thread
    Well, for you it is

Well, for you it is

You better not be pregnant. Boston would crush my delicate skull if he discovered our transgressions (thanks, Tiger), flailing scooter or not.

Well, for you it is

There's layers in that comeback...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

I figured people who worked in libraries could read Derek. Does that email say that this service is being run by the SU? No? Well, that's probably because it isn't.

But sure why should the SU bother to advertise a helpful and free service to female students? Those wagons should probably just deal with whatever deservedly happens to them. Am I right?

I figured people who worked in libraries could read Derek. Does that email say that this service is being run by the SU? No? Well, that's probably because it isn't.

But sure why should the SU bother to advertise a helpful and free service to female students? Those wagons should probably just deal with whatever deservedly happens to them. Am I right?

Wagons?

All I'm saying is that its a profound waste of time. If some private company creates this service and people want to pay for it, fine. But if the SU is in anyway involved in running this so called 'free' service, then I question the necessity of having an organisation which genuinely seems to have nothing better to do with its free time. I wish we could just ban the bloody personality contest SU Presidency and re-create a solemn students institutions which merely look after our legal rights in a very centralised fashion. We have no need for these people telling us of new and great ways to live our life. Next thing they'll be pushing for toilet assistants to help us wipe our arses. Are students so really devoid of the principle of personal responsibility? Have we created a generation of state hugging mindless drones? I do worry about this world sometimes, lost as it is in the pursuit of delegating responsibility for their lives to faceless buraucracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

It sounded pretty clear in the email that the service will only be launched if there's a demand for it. And it also sounded like the service was in response to questions answered in a survey, so based on that they probably decided that it would be useful and that it would help.

I don't see the big problem with it if people will use it and will find it helpful.

Umm... Thats peoples personal responsibility? 'The success rate of contraceptives'?? The one sure way of guaranteeing the success rate of contraceptives is to wear the blooming things! 'I can't see how anyone else would', in life, you'll come across people (Admittedly few) who have strong beliefs about personal responsibility and who don't expect someone else to come along and take responsibility for every bloody problem they may or may not have in their ridicilously mollycuddled lives. We've become a nanny state, only the nanny has been replaced by a prostitute.

*Must.....not......get.......personal........argh*

\steps away

Mark200 wrote: »
    It sounded pretty clear in the email that the service will only be launched if there's a demand for it. And it also sounded like the service was in response to questions answered in a survey, so based on that they probably decided that it would be useful and that it would help.

I don't see the big problem with it if people will use it and will find it helpful.

How much is it costing the SU? Why do we even need a third party to constantly remind us about routine things? I don't care so much about the particulars, just the principle.

devinejay wrote: »
    *Must.....not......get.......personal........argh*

\steps away

You don't have to get personal... Being rational might help you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Troll thread is fail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Boston wrote: »
    Should the SU even be pushing oral contraceptives? Given the nature of young people and their whoring ways surely condoms should be the main focus?

Meh. The more oral skills they learn the better in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

How much is it costing the SU?

Nothing! Nothing you idiot! Did you not read what I already posted? Get back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Nothing! Nothing you idiot! Did you not read what I already posted? Get back to work.

Proof?

Advertisement