Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best aging car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    THAT looks modern?!

OP's Quest "The Best Ageing Car" not "Most Modern Looking (still)", after all a Citroen DS, NSU Ro80 or Volvo P1800ES aren't just modern, they are timeless. Fashion is transient, style is more permanent. Older pioneering designs or styling cues influence future (modern) production. Many of which are perceived as all new or fresh, when they are in fact evolutions of old design, without been retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

TomMc wrote: »
    2722932055_b9ef085a7d.jpg

Volvo P1800ES

I've one of them, but I wouldn't say it looks contemporary - it was already looking a bit long in the tooth when it was introduced in '72 (being based on the nearly ten year old P1800). It's more a case of the C30 being intentionally retro, rather than the 1800ES looking fresh. Still a lovely car though.

My vote goes to this timeless beauty:
    lotus-esprit-s1-front-1_113.jpg

The original Lotus Esprit design holds water better than the later styling revisions imo, and despite it's 70's wedge shape, wouldn't look out of place coming off a production line today - not bad for a car that was designed about the same time as the 1800ES above.

oceanrace_blue.jpg

Even the 480 which came out in 1986 still looks fresh in an uncharacteristic Volvo sort of way. You can see the link between the P1800ES, 480 and the current C30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

my trusty old 97 passat tdi,which i have as a spare car now is the business,i prefer it over the newer one i have now aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

I have to say the MR2 isnt holding up too badly

Toyota-MR2-Mk2-Rev-5-600.jpg

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    I've one of them, but I wouldn't say it looks contemporary - it was already looking a bit long in the tooth when it was introduced in '72 (being based on the nearly ten year old P1800). It's more a case of the C30 being intentionally retro, rather than the 1800ES looking fresh. Still a lovely car though.

Exactly what I was trying to put across. The new design (C30) is a modern interpretation of an old styling cue (P1800ES rear window), without been overly retro. The new C30 isn't an all new 100% "fresh" design, but harks back to the past.

The Renault 16 was no beauty but is was still the inspiration for a future generation of family hatchbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Mark I Focus for me.
    +1

Alfa 156 close 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Alfa 156 close 2nd

Can't believe I forgot that - also a 1998 car and still looks great.

754690148_a9177f5d4f.jpg

The E30 M3 would be my pick of late 80's & early 90's cars that still look the biz today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

TomMc wrote: »
    OP's Quest "The Best Ageing Car" not "Most Modern Looking (still)", after all a Citroen DS, NSU Ro80 or Volvo P1800ES aren't just modern, they are timeless. Fashion is transient, style is more permanent. Older pioneering designs or styling cues influence future (modern) production. Many of which are perceived as all new or fresh, when they are in fact evolutions of old design, without been retro.

Was thinking more than just looks. Was thinking the whole design of the car really.

The Mark I Focus still prob beats some similar new cars in terms of handling and ride for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,003 ✭✭✭✭unkel

406 coupe was my first thought too

How about the W126? I can't believe it is over 30 years old now:

w126-47647.jpg

Lancia Hyena (20 years old):

hyena%20d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alfa GTV/Spider:

ALFASPIDER2004_red2.jpg

Not bad for a car designed 13 years ago.

Advertisement