Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From the indo - Irish skies set to host a clestial fireworks display

Options

Comments

krobo wrote: »
    Jake, I think your in luck, tonight is good for viewing too - from Astronomy Ireland... "The Geminids Meteor Shower will be at its best on Saturday and Sunday nights, December 12 and 13 respectively, and into the early morning of Monday, December 14. We are urging everyone to conduct their own meteor count over the weekend as Saturday and Sunday will be the prime nights for meteor observing." Satellite images dont look so good for clear sky's though.

I spent about 45 minutes viewing last night, from 11:15 till midnight, first 20 minutes were relatively active with sometimes 2/3 faint meteors a minute, but then it sadly fizzled out and the cold convinced me to give up.

Nice one! Ill get the jacket and blanket out for later so. :) Fingers crosed .

I dont think Ill see Divil a bit here in Lucan, its quite cloudy.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Saw some 10 minutes ago here in Clonsilla. Had to come in for a warm up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Seen 14 in the last hour, 5 really long bright ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

lovely clear skies in cork, only seen faint ones so far. have one very faint photo, now that my fingers are thawed I'm off back out to try again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They gonna be visible again tomorrow night? :) Or any more tonight?

What direction should I be looking?

(I'm in Tallaght, Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Saw about 8 or 9 bright ones in a 20 min period plus a couple of faint ones. Most in the NE sky.
    The best were 3 within a few seconds of each other, roughly in a SW to NE direction. Almost in an exact same trajectory and seemed quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Grr it's foggy here in Roscommon, can barely see the stars but will head back out later to try again. It should be visible again tomorrow night, that's according to the Astronomy Ireland website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Lovely clear crispy night here in south Donegal. Averaging about 1 a minute now. Current temp is -2 brrrrrrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Grr it's foggy here in Roscommon, can barely see the stars but will head back out later to try again. It should be visible again tomorrow night, that's according to the Astronomy Ireland website.
    Thats a pity. It's totally clear here in Westmeath. Just after my last post I went back out and saw another 2 within seconds directly overhead. Perfect skies if it weren't so damn cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Freezing fog down here :( It's getting too late. It had to be a SUNDAY night!

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Thats a pity. It's totally clear here in Westmeath. Just after my last post I went back out and saw another 2 within seconds directly overhead. Perfect skies if it weren't so damn cold.

Just had a look out, fog has cleared up a good bit so will be heading out soon. Anyone get any vids or pics of any?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Right. Bed calling. Just out and saw 8 in 5 mins. Crisp clear night here in south donegal. Slight glow from town lights in the distance. All in tonight have seen about 30- 40. Thank god I smoke and herself sends me outside to smoke! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jake1 wrote: »
    I dont think Ill see Divil a bit here in Lucan, its quite cloudy.:(

Same here,i can't see a stitch,it's too feckin' cloudy!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm in Co. Limerick, perfect clear sky all evening,

No moonlight, no wind so the cold was bearable.

I feel so thrilled to have seen so many tonight, I was driving around and was easily seeing six every 30 mins or so.

Beautiful :)

I would say I've seen about 40 all together so far, 32 of them in the last hour :D I'm made up, until last night I'd never seen a meteor shower before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Seen 14 of them from my window in the past 45 mins. Im in an estate in Galway City so presume I would have seen more if I had been in a darker area. Was amazed how bright 5 or 6 of them were.

Just in for the night, can barely feel my toes :( but we saw about 134 in total tonight, thats in 3 1/2 hours all together. Anyone see 1 that lit up a bit of the sky?? That was by far the best one, we saw the start of it then it went behind the building and all we could see was that bit of the sky light up :D

Night folks

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Just in for the night, can barely feel my toes :( but we saw about 134 in total tonight, thats in 3 1/2 hours all together. Anyone see 1 that lit up a bit of the sky?? That was by far the best one, we saw the start of it then it went behind the building and all we could see was that bit of the sky light up :D

Night folks

Was just about to go to sleep. Damn ya :D
    I'll have to take another look for a few mins. Hopefully it'll pay off.

Gonna head back out shortly, they are meant to peak at 5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

mud wrote: »
    Gonna head back out shortly, they are meant to peak at 5!

How did you get on at 5am Mud ?

I'm exhausted but it was well worth staying up :)

I went up the hill from my house and saw loads of them

No artificial light and I was able to see way more than earlier as I could look in all directions, not just the one I was driving in!

Does anyone know if it will be like that again tonight?

It really felt Christmassy last night :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Was out for about an hour altogether between 10.30 and 12 o'clock last night and despite fog, saw some amazing ones. Then, in another moment of complete madness and despite the fact that I had to be up early for work this morning, I got up at 10 to 5 to see them at their peak-what a sight! Definitely worth getting out of bed for! I loved the double ones that seemed top be racing each other. And I agree with above poster-very Christmassy. Love the peace and quiet of a still morning. :)

mud wrote: »
    I'm exhausted but it was well worth staying up :)

I went up the hill from my house and saw loads of them

No artificial light and I was able to see way more than earlier as I could look in all directions, not just the one I was driving in!

Does anyone know if it will be like that again tonight?

It really felt Christmassy last night :o

I went out between 1am till bout 2am , saw a good few mud , had a bit of patchy cloud overhead also !

fifilarue wrote: »
    Was out for about an hour altogether between 10.30 and 12 o'clock last night and despite fog, saw some amazing ones. Then, in another moment of complete madness and despite the fact that I had to be up early for work this morning, I got up at 10 to 5 to see them at their peak-what a sight! Definitely worth getting out of bed for! I loved the double ones that seemed top be racing each other. And I agree with above poster-very Christmassy. Love the peace and quiet of a still morning. :)

LoL fifilarue ,You have to be a bit mad to be into Astronomy , late nights etc ;)

Stargate wrote: »
    LoL fifilarue ,You have to be a bit mad to be into Astronomy , late nights etc ;)

:D:D:D:D

fifilarue wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

You going out again tonight fifilarue ? weathr is clear for tonight i think , hope fog stays away . Might not be as good as last night but you never know :p

Night folks

Nice one, Im delighted for you :) Must have been something special to see alright.
    Wish I saw something .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

These visible again tonight? :o What direction?

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    You going out again tonight fifilarue ? weathr is clear for tonight i think , hope fog stays away . Might not be as good as last night but you never know :p

If the skies are clear, will def give it a go (if I can stay awake). Last night was magical really.:D

Advertisement