Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Raheen area

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey, I'm moving to the Raheen area of Limerick soon, was wondering where is a good place to live.
    I've just been looking on daft.ie at places in
    the Grange, Dooradoyle and Vartry Close

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Dooradoyle isnt one estate in Raheen, its one of the biggest areas of Limerick Suburbs of its own accord. Raheen and DD are seperate strictly speaking, but more or less the same.

Vartry wouldnt be the best. Its grand and central, shops/chippers/pubs/chinese all within walking distance, but its not the nicest part to be honest, few scobes around.
    Grange is better but again not great.

Personally I would say look around the Fr Russell Road, Churchill Meadows areas. They would be the "better" areas of Raheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Liam79 wrote: »
    Dooradoyle isnt one estate in Raheen, its one of the biggest areas of Limerick Suburbs of its own accord. Raheen and DD are seperate strictly speaking, but more or less the same.

Vartry wouldnt be the best. Its grand and central, shops/chippers/pubs/chinese all within walking distance, but its not the nicest part to be honest, few scobes around.
    Grange is better but again not great.

Personally I would say look around the Fr Russell Road, Churchill Meadows areas. They would be the "better" areas of Raheen.

I'd agree with Liam on this one, looking out that area myself at the moment, Dooradoyle is a good area, loads of good estates out there, Raheen has its good and bad points, you're pretty much safe anywhere in Dooradoyle and definately have a look around Fr. Russel Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Pretty good value rental wise out that side of town at the moment,compared to a year or two ago

Aisling Heights/Pine Grove not bad, Ashfield is good, Fortfields is good, Paddocks is good. These are all on the Mulcair Road side of Raheen.

I will give you some Un-PC advice Mate. When you get to the new Motor Tax office in raheen, swing a right at the roundabout, your on the Mulcair Road Raheen. Now everthing from there up as far as the Shop (Ryans) I would personally avoid, everything past the shop, is good. Its like a invisible border! Now I am not saying thse places are hell holes, they are nothing of the sort. But there would be more scum per head of population before the shop, then after.

As myself and Foinse said tho, ideally, look for Fr Russell Rd, Church Rd area. Or Churchill Meadows, Ballycummin.

Maybe avoid Gouldavoher also.

Genuine Apologies if anyone is offended by those generalisations.

Oh and if you like a sup, The Hi-way is THE best spot in Raheen by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

And you'll find the Hi-way in Dooradoyle ;)

LB6 wrote: »
    And you'll find the Hi-way in Dooradoyle ;)

The Limerick Leader would beg to differ ;)

http://www.limerickleader.ie/city-life/What39s-on-this-week.4895174.jp

That'll show you the lack of editing being done in the Limerick Leader.

On Friday 23rd the Hi-way is in Dooradoyle and by Sunday 25th seemingly it will be re-located up to Raheen lol

I despair of that paper - the Limerick Post comes in the door for nothing and has as much information if not more than the Leader with the odd typo. At the prices that the Leader charges - you think that they'd at least get their facts correct!

LL use your research properly! :D or just DO some research! :rolleyes:

PS - sorry OP for going off tangent on your query - in reply to your question. Dooradoyle Estate (the original one) is quiet and very central. Raheen (again the original) is also good - not to mention Ballycummin (not biased at all here) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Does not matter what the Limerick Leader says. :D

It is in Dooradoyle.:p

OP, most of Raheen and Dooradoyle is fine. Plus you get the added bonus of me living in the area. :D

Have a good look around areas of Dooradoyle like The Forts, Glencairn, and Huntsfield.

In Raheen, Church road is nice, as is the Grange.

Ballycummin also has some nice spots in it.

I would agree with most of what Liam79 has said on the area too.

Oh by the way, there is a new tax coming into the area from 2010. It is the Kess tax, and I am not a patient overlord. :P

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Does not matter what the Limerick Leader says. :D

It is in Dooradoyle.:p

To be fair, the lads are right. Strictly speaking the Hi Way is in DD, but you will see when you get there, they are practically the same place anyways.

Ouch - the Dooradoyleadonians would beg to differ! :D

LB6 wrote: »
    Ouch - the Dooradoyleadonians would beg to differ! :D

Damn straight we do. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cluain Dubh, Oakfield, Cragaun are all very quite estates next to each other
    across the road from Russells Bar. The Ballycummin Bus goes from town
    and stops outside close to these estates.

A stones throw away you have a Shop, Off License, Bar, Chinese, Chemist,
    Laundry, A butcher, hair salon, Beauty Place, wedding dress shop, Home decoration shop, Not sure if the dentist place and back place is still there,
    and there is a Local Doctor that works from home in the area, and a Crèche
    for kids.

Less that 10mins walk you have Raheen Business Park, next to 4homes, Southcourt hotel with a gym, Car Tyre place, Tile shop, petrol station,
    car dealer and the Local Church.

Down the road is the Crescent Shopping center, A vets, a mosque , and a leisure center with a pool, and some other religious type meeting places things.

~B

Golf Pro and the Furniture shop are also up at the Raheen Roundabout and Yoga/Pilates on Church Road

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

i used to live in belvedere lawn, fr russel road. it is a great spot. very quiet and close to everything you would need.

it is half way up fr russell road so you can go right up to russells pub, along with shops, butchers, hairdressers. all mentioned by previous posters. or you can left and head to the crescent shopping centre, passing more shops, xtra vision, takeaways etc on the way. i would def recommend fr russell road in dooradoyle anyway. miss my house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

bullets wrote: »
    Cluain Dubh, Oakfield, Cragaun are all very quite estates next to each other
    across the road from Russells Bar. The Ballycummin Bus goes from town
    and stops outside close to these estates.

A stones throw away you have a Shop, Off License, Bar, Chinese, Chemist,
    Laundry, A butcher, hair salon, Beauty Place, wedding dress shop, Home decoration shop, Not sure if the dentist place and back place is still there,
    and there is a Local Doctor that works from home in the area, and a Crèche
    for kids.

Less that 10mins walk you have Raheen Business Park, next to 4homes, Southcourt hotel with a gym, Car Tyre place, Tile shop, petrol station,
    car dealer and the Local Church.

Down the road is the Crescent Shopping center, A vets, a mosque , and a leisure center with a pool, and some other religious type meeting places things.

~B

I agree. Oakfield and the surrounding estates are very quiet, churchill meadows is also a nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

OP you should go and have a look at the following:

Cragaun 1

Oakfield 1

Oakfield 2

Is there a preferable area you need to live near in Raheen to go to work etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Oh and if you like a sup, The Hi-way is THE best spot in Raheen by a mile.

Best spot? Hardly! I would rate Collins and then Clohessy's ahead of any of the rest of the pubs in Raheen/Dooradoyle!

And arent all the houses from Huntsfield to the Raheen shop in DD?

Just a Raheener airing his views! :D

Best spot? Hardly! I would rate Collins and then Clohessy's ahead of any of the rest of the pubs in Raheen/Dooradoyle!

And arent all the houses from Huntsfield to the Raheen shop in DD?

Just a Raheener airing his views! :D

That is correct, Raheen starts at the Raheen shop roundabout.

Seems to be quite a few on this forum living out the Dooradoyle and Raheen side. May have to watch my back when walking around. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

That is correct, Raheen starts at the Raheen shop roundabout.

Seems to be quite a few on this forum living out the Dooradoyle and Raheen side. May have to watch my back when walking around. :D

Its actually the roundabout beside Stoneyhurst that divides Raheen and Dooradoyle. Beverley close for example is in Raheen but is still on the Dooradoyle side of The Raheen shop roundabout

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Its actually the roundabout beside Stoneyhurst that divides Raheen and Dooradoyle. Beverley close for example is in Raheen but is still on the Dooradoyle side of The Raheen shop roundabout

Cheers, I always had the other roundabout in my head as the divide.

hi_im_fil wrote: »

Fil, what is the crack with that couple of "insert expletive here" living in Belverly that are forever leaving out their rubbish and destroying the area with filth?

Fil, what is the crack with that couple of "insert expletive here" living in Belverly that are forever leaving out their rubbish and destroying the area with filth?

The ones that leave out the bags of rubbish near the public footpath and often bring the rubbish and dump it by the roundabout?

The ones that leave out the bags of rubbish near the public footpath and often bring the rubbish and dump it by the roundabout?

Think the ones you mean are the end of the Mulcair Rd near the tax office Kess, these ones are in Beleverly before the shop as you head up the Mulcair Rd

Filthy.

Think the ones you mean are the end of the Mulcair Rd near the tax office Kess, these ones are in Beleverly before the shop as you head up the Mulcair Rd

Filthy.

I know about the ones closer to the Huntsfield roundabout, but the ones I am talking about now are up beyond to the Castlepark entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I can't say I've noticed it to be honest. Where exactly? What time is the rubbish usually there at?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DarraghCorrigan

Thanks for your help, sounds like theres a few good spots anyway. Im going to be doing an internship in Analog Devices in the business park so within walking distance/ cycling distance would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Thanks for your help, sounds like theres a few good spots anyway. Im going to be doing an internship in Analog Devices in the business park so within walking distance/ cycling distance would be good

Hopefully you will find the right Analog building then! spread out
    around three areas of the estate.

There is B1, B2, B3, B4, B5 and B7 (Dont know if there is a B6)

The main building and most of the others are at the front of the estate
    facing you as you go in the main entrance, Building 5 and Building 7 are
    towards the very back of the estate.

~B

• Advertisement

I know about the ones closer to the Huntsfield roundabout, but the ones I am talking about now are up beyond to the Castlepark entrance

Thats them Kess

Advertisement