Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Christmas Movie

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

After a heated debate with my housemates, i found this a worthy topic. What is the greatest Christmas themed movie! What movie do you wana see on Christmas Eve.

My answer is Die Hard 1

Willis and Rickman are just perfect! They are laughs, cries, Christmas party hostages and terroists. When the movie closes with 'Let it Snow' you left with that warm feeling of Christmas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

The obvious ones, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation or It's a Wonderful Life for me.... but Die Hard is a seriously good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

I apologise in advance for the corniness of some of my answers, but it is a corny time...
    In no particular order:

Home Alone
    Wizard Of Oz
    Elf
    The Santa Clause
    Toy Story
    A Christmas Carol
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    Love Actually (not for the kiddies)
    It's A Wonderful Life

Oh the list could go on....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

/thread

planes-trains-and-automobiles.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory for me, film itself has nothing to do with Christmas but could old TG4 always lash it on at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory for me, film itself has nothing to do with Christmas but could old TG4 always lash it on at some point.

I presume you mean the old 70's one and not Johnny Depps more accurate yet not as entertaining version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

My answer is Die Hard 1

I dunno Die Hard 2 is pretty good for the crimbo feel aswell. At least its snowing in Die Hard 2.

Im gonna say scrooged here but there are plenty of movies that make me think of Christmas that have nothing to do with Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I presume you mean the old 70's one and not Johnny Depps more accurate yet not as entertaining version?

Certainly, nobody has a patch on Gene Wilder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

irlmarc wrote: »
    I dunno Die Hard 2 is pretty good for the crimbo feel aswell. At least its snowing in Die Hard 2.

True but I dont think Die Hard 2 delivers in the Villian department, cant beat a well organised and cultured European baddie!

Die hard 2 may have snow but it doesnt have...
    'Now I have a Machine Gun, ho ho.........ho'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

True but I dont think Die Hard 2 delivers in the Villian department, cant beat a well organised and cultured European baddie!

Die hard 2 may have snow but it doesnt have...
    'Now I have a Machine Gun, ho ho.........ho'

Touche good sir. I only found out recently that in the German version of Die Hard 1 the baddies were from the IRA! Well so I read!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Die Hard, no question, I've watched it on Christmas Eve every year for the past 15 years, its my little tradition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Trading Places is always worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Bad Santa wins for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

muppets christmas carol

no competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

For Christmas week, an afternoon with some cans and Ben Hur on DVD. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Dead Snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Classic "A Christmas Story"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/

Everyone can watch it.....maybe not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'd have to give my vote to Bad Santa too....so so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The great thing about Christmas is that there's plenty of time so you don't have to content yourself with just one film :)

These have all been mentioned already but they are the definitive Christmas list for me...

Muppets Christmas Carol.. watched it 2 nights ago, great movie.
    Die Hard (hands down beats die hard 2)
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (nothing like a Griswold family outing)
    Planes Trains and Automobiles
    Home Alone 1
    Santa Clause: The Movie (the one with Dudley Moore)

And possibly, post turkey I'd settle for some Richard Prior/Billy Connelly stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr.equinox

It has to be Home alone 2 or miracle on 34th street :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Surviving Christmas is just finishing on RTE1 right now. I don't know if I'd call it a Classic, but it has a fairly original story line: rich ad executive (Ben Affleck) pays a suburban family to let him join them, to impress his girlfriend. He imposes his warped commercial ideas on them, such as a Christmas tree that burns your retinas if you look at it directly. Of course, the elder sister in the family (Christina Applegate) hates the idea, and hates him, but it turns out there's a reason why he doesn't know how to "do" Christmas, so you probably guess where the plot is going ... :cool:

What? It's got Christina Applegate, so I'm watching it. :P

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

Speed In the 18years I've been alive it hasn't missed a Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its got to be National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Its dumb but its a good laugh. Always got to watch it every christmas otherwise its not the same.:D
    Its the first thing i look for in the old Xmas RTE guide.

Come on, you know you love it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Home Alone. It's my favorite movie ever and because of that I'll be watching it with my family on Christmas day :)

All the other movies mentioned are great too!

Funny thing about Home Alone is every time i watch it im surprised to see Joe Pesci in it. I keep forgetting he's in it.
    Hard to believe he acted in Goodfellas on the same year!

Pretty contrasting roles eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Last year I watched Die Hard 1 and 2 back-to-back on around the 22nd of December....while drinking, alone (the missus went to bed early), room lit with only the Christmas tree, eating crisps and peanuts.

It was fantastic....I shall do the same this year.

Santa? Bah! I believe in John McClane (....ho ho ho!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

gremlins double bill for me :D

Its got to be National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Its dumb but its a good laugh. Always got to watch it every christmas otherwise its not the same.:D
    Its the first thing i look for in the old Xmas RTE guide.
    Come on, you know you love it!!!!!

I have this on DVD, and for 11 months of the year, it sits there teasing and tempting me to stick it on.

Finally it has reached the other 1 month of the year when I can finally laugh my áss off at Clark, cousin Eddie and Uncle Louis with his toupé!

Love it!

KungPao wrote: »
    Last year I watched Die Hard 1 and 2 back-to-back on around the 22nd of December....while drinking, alone (the missus went to bed early), room lit with only the Christmas tree, eating crisps and peanuts.

It was fantastic....I shall do the same this year.

Santa? Bah! I believe in John McClane (....ho ho ho!)

Im sorry KungPao but DH is just not christmasy enough.:mad:
    You'd be surprised at how many people prefer to do what you just described.

I wont be headin out much this xmas because i cant afford it. To honest im lookin forward to chilling out, few beers & a couple of good christmas films.:D

Im sorry KungPao but DH is just not christmasy enough.:mad:
    You'd be surprised at how many people prefer to do what you just described.

I wont be headin out much this xmas because i cant afford it. To honest im lookin forward to chilling out, few beers & a couple of good christmas films.:D

Enjoy it man.

I know I will. A few beers or many, favourite christmas movies....I love it.

Can't wait:)

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    I have this on DVD, and for 11 months of the year, it sits there teasing and tempting me to stick it on.

Finally it has reached the other 1 month of the year when I can finally laugh my áss off at Clark, cousin Eddie and Uncle Louis with his toupé!

Love it!

:D:D:D hahaha. yeah & when that squirrel gets into the house & the dog wrecks the house. Cousin eddie the dirty redneck relative & his little kid with the mouth fungus.:D:D

I was going to get it on dvd but like you said it should only be watched at xmas. I think xmas movies are depressing when you watch them outside of december.

Advertisement