Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAITH = GULLIBILITY

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I do not think it useful to call them gullible. Not just because they are not, but because you then talk past them and conversation dies which is the worst thing anyone can do in this situation.

They are just making a simple error that is all.

If you really spend time looking at your own views you will find one somewhere that is based on the same error. I have found more than a few in myself which I had to correct.

Faith is not gullibility. Faith is assuming to be true that which you want to show is true. It’s a mistake and we all make it at some point. You come to a conclusion then you find the evidence to support it. Any one of us who say something like "Taxi drivers are awful drivers" are likely guilty of it. 20 people can cut you up on the road but if 2 of them are Taxis you have your evidence to support your conclusion.

The bible actually admonishes you to make this mistake, as the authors realised its power to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses. “Seek and you shall find” it tells us. Damn right you will. It would be a true miracle if you did not in fact!

It is not that these theists are stupid, idiotic, gullible or lack evidence. They have just made one small error at the base of their thinking and the rest flowed from there.

The example I always give is the people who think the number 23 controls everything. They then go looking for that number everywhere. Try this sometime when you are bored. You WILL find it. You will find it almost impossible not to. Mupltiples of 23, digits that add up to 23, or even the same for 32 which is just 23 backwards and multiples of that... it will never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I do not think it useful to call them gullible. Not just because they are not, but because you then talk past them and conversation dies which is the worst thing anyone can do in this situation.

If you really spend time looking at your own views you will find one somewhere that is based on the same error. I have found more than a few in myself which I had to correct.

Faith is not gullibility. Faith is assuming to be true that which you want to show is true. It’s a mistake and we all make it at some point. You come to a conclusion then you find the evidence to support it. Any one of us who say something like "Taxi drivers are awful drivers" are likely guilty of it. 20 people can cut you up on the road but if 2 of them are Taxis you have your evidence to support your conclusion.

The bible actually admonishes you to make this mistake, as the authors realised its power to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses. “Seek and you shall find” it tells us. Damn right you will. It would be a true miracle if you did not in fact!

It is not that these theists are stupid, idiotic, gullible or lack evidence. They have just made one small error at the base of their thinking and the rest flowed from there.

The example I always give is the people who think the number 23 controls everything. They then go looking for that number everywhere. Try this sometime when you are bored. You WILL find it. You will find it almost impossible not to. Mupltiples of 23, digits that add up to 23, or even the same for 32 which is just 23 backwards and multiples of that... it will never end.

Or to put it succinctly, confirmation bias :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

im 19 and have 4 sisters, WTF 23 IS CONTROLLING ME

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Or to put it succinctly, confirmation bias :)

Thats the second time youve done that :p

However why use 2 words where 202 will do :) Thats my motto hehehe.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    im 19 and have 4 sisters, WTF 23 IS CONTROLLING ME

That's the spirit! However you only got one sentence out of it. Jim Carey got an entire film!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/

While some people have an entire religion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_Enigma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

That's the spirit! However you only got one sentence out of it. Jim Carey got an entire film!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/

i was 18 four days ago, and i have four sisters and 1 brother, WTF 23 IS CONTROLLING ME.

I'll give it more thought! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm 26 and it's Thursday in 3 days!!! :eek:

Today is: 07 12 2009

2009 / 7 / 12 = 23,9167!!!

And 9+1+6+7 = 23!!!!

So todays date is a double 23!!! ARGH!

You get the picture though. Just like 23ists, the theists on here are not gullible. They have just fallen for the same trap as the 23ist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I'm 25 and have 2 brothers. wow this is freaky...

sorry, back to topic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

All today my post count was showing 223...:eek:.
    Until now:)
    I'm free from 23!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement