Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Global Warming Swindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

djpbarry wrote: »
    To go back to the doctor analogy, if you visit 100 physicians and 99 of them tell you that you are at extreme risk of a heart attack, while the 100th recommends full Irish breakfasts three times a day for the rest of your life, whose advice are you going to follow?

Personally I'd be hoping the last guy was right and knew something about it, but then again if the other 99 were dental doctors I wouldn't put much weight on their advice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

To go back to the doctor analogy, if you visit 100 physicians and 99 of them tell you that you are at extreme risk of a heart attack, while the 100th recommends full Irish breakfasts three times a day for the rest of your life, whose advice are you going to follow?

I see it more as a question of recognising that "absolute unanimity of opinion" and "overwhelming consensus" are not the same thing.

Currently, those supporting AGW say "there is consensus". Those opposing or skeptical say "not everyone agrees". They are, in effect, both saying the same thing, but with a different emphasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Guys, seriously, your arguing semantics here now. Half a dozen of one, six of the other.

As a scientist myself, its terribly disheartening to see these kind of threads.

A consensus of 99% is overwhelming, the consensus for manmade climate change is not as clearcut.

I remember an incident a few years ago when trees were being killed by a mysterious disease, one of the symptoms was a white "froth" on the branches, when examined the "froth" was found to contain nematodes.

So an insectacide was rapidly developed to eliminate the nematodes, this was successful and then sprayed over the affected areas, the following year the trees were still dying but this time they just had the "froth" on the branches, it turns out that the nematodes were living off the froth and had nothing to do with the desease, the scientists then looked at what was causing the froth.

Scientists are human as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A consensus of 99% is overwhelming, the consensus for manmade climate change is not as clearcut.

I remember an incident a few years ago when trees were being killed by a mysterious disease, one of the symptoms was a white "froth" on the branches, when examined the "froth" was found to contain nematodes.

So an insectacide was rapidly developed to eliminate the nematodes, this was successful and then sprayed over the affected areas, the following year the trees were still dying but this time they just had the "froth" on the branches, it turns out that the nematodes were living off the froth and had nothing to do with the desease, the scientists then looked at what was causing the froth.

Yes they are, but with respect, this is not the same as Global warming theory. It's not a case of a few scientists looking at one aspect of a problem and missing everything else, It's thousands of scientists from all over the world, from different diciplines, looking at different datasets and analysing them independently and coming to the same conclusion.

In science, the double blind test is the benchmark for checking for cause and effect. in Climate science, there are triple and quintuple and duodecuple blind testing going on, where loads of independent datasets are compared and crossreferenced and combined to produce as accurate a picture of the worlds climate as current technology allows.

There is always the possibility of error, but the consensus is within the evidence, as well as amongst the scientists, that we are experiencing warming that is not explained by normal climate patterns.

What is not helpful is to look for outliers and claim that the fact that we can not fully explain every single outlier is proof that the majority of data collected is wrong. This is a denialist strategy which is saying in effect "we can not draw conclusions from the vast weight of evidence, but at the same time declaring that this little piece of information taken in isolation in fact proves that AGW isn't real"

What the genuine skeptics ought to be doing is looking at those outliers and trying to find explanations for those pieces of data and then seeing if they can advance scientific knowledge that way, maybe even discover new mechanisms that might be affecting wider climate shifts.

• Advertisement

Taken from here

In January 2009, a poll of 3146 earth scientists found that 82% answered yes to the question: "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?". Of the 77 climatologists actively engaged in research, 75 answered yes (97.4%).

So...82% isn't 90%, to be sure, but I'd still consider better then 4:1 ratio to be pretty overwhelming. Limiting the field to only climatologists, the figures rise to roughtly 39:1 (far better then the 10:1 that you would put as overwhelming).

Admittedly, science shouldn't be based (purely) on consensus, but surely at this point we should be beyond arguing whether or not same exists...and (at least) move on to discussing our opinions on whether or not they are correct.
    Yes, they are.

We aren't in the habit, however, of disregarding just any scientific position on that basis. This line of reasoning only seems to be valid for certain fields...particularly those where there is a parallel non-scientific debate.

bonkey wrote: »
    Taken from here

In January 2009, a poll of 3146 earth scientists found that 82% answered yes to the question: "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?". Of the 77 climatologists actively engaged in research, 75 answered yes (97.4%).

So...82% isn't 90%, to be sure, but I'd still consider better then 4:1 ratio to be pretty overwhelming. Limiting the field to only climatologists, the figures rise to roughtly 39:1 (far better then the 10:1 that you would put as overwhelming).

Admittedly, science shouldn't be based (purely) on consensus, but surely at this point we should be beyond arguing whether or not same exists...and (at least) move on to discussing our opinions on whether or not they are correct.

Yes, they are.

We aren't in the habit, however, of disregarding just any scientific position on that basis. This line of reasoning only seems to be valid for certain fields...particularly those where there is a parallel non-scientific debate.
    Just to pre-empt the 'skeptics'. Someone is probably going to come along with the figure of 31000 'scientists' who don't believe in AGW and claim that 31k beats 3k.

Just to make it perfectly clear, that Oregon petition is a fraud. Anyone who calls himself a 'skeptic/sceptic' ought to have so many reasons to not trust that petition that it should never be quoted as supporting evidence by anyone claiming to be approaching this debate from a neutral or sceptical position.

http://www.desmogblog.com/oregon-petition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

Akrasia wrote: »
    Yes they are, but with respect, this is not the same as Global warming theory. It's not a case of a few scientists looking at one aspect of a problem and missing everything else, It's thousands of scientists from all over the world, from different diciplines, looking at different datasets and analysing them independently and coming to the same conclusion.

You obviously disagree ,then, with Professor John Curistie, lead author , IPCC; “I’ve often heard it said in the past that there is a consensus of thousands of scientists on the global warming issue,and that humans are causing a catastrophic change to the climate system. Well, I am one scientist, and there are many, who think that that is simply not true”…”we have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science”

or Professor Paul Reiter, IPCC & Pasteur Institute, Paris; This claim that the IPSS is the worlds top 1500 or 2500 scientists, you look at the bibliographies of the people and it simply isn’t true. There are quite a few non scientists"

or Professor Richard Lindzen, IPCC & M.I.T: ..."And to build the number up to 2000 or 2500 they have to start taking reviewers and government people and so on, anyone who ever came close to that, and none of them are asked to agree, and many of them disagree…"

auerillo wrote: »
    You obviously disagree ,then, with Professor John Curistie, lead author , IPCC; “I’ve often heard it said in the past that there is a consensus of thousands of scientists on the global warming issue,and that humans are causing a catastrophic change to the climate system. Well, I am one scientist, and there are many, who think that that is simply not true”…”we have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science”
    Note what is written...the Prof. Curistie disagrees that humans are causing a catastrophic change. Note also that he's one scientist making a claim that there are an unspecified "many" like him. How many is many? What, exactly, do they not agree with? Change, or catastrophic change?
    or Professor Paul Reiter, IPCC & Pasteur Institute, Paris; This claim that the IPSS is the worlds top 1500 or 2500 scientists, you look at the bibliographies of the people and it simply isn’t true. There are quite a few non scientists"
    I think you'll find that Akrasia didn't mention the IPCC. He mentioned the scientists doing the science. Its nothing short of disingenuous to tke a comment referring to the scientists, imply that what was meant was the IPCC, and that the IPCC is not solely made up of scientists.
    or Professor Richard Lindzen, IPCC & M.I.T: ..."And to build the number up to 2000 or 2500 they have to start taking reviewers and government people and so on, anyone who ever came close to that, and none of them are asked to agree, and many of them disagree…"
    Who did what, now?

I referenced a study from early 2009, cimplete with links, which gives detail on who was surveyed, by whom, what was asked, and what the response was. In case you haven't read the link, here it is again.

I've no idea who Professor Lindzen is referring to, but he seems to be referring to something completely different. I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess that he was referring to some position taken by the IPCC, which is not the only measure by which people have arrived at the position that there is a consensus.

Note what is written...the Prof. Curistie disagrees that humans are causing a catastrophic change. Note also that he's one scientist making a claim that there are an unspecified "many" like him. How many is many? What, exactly, do they not agree with? Change, or catastrophic change?

I see.

The point I was attempting to highlight is that time and time again we hear that the vast majority of scientists agree that global warming is man made. Even if that were true, (which is denied), there are still significant numbers of serious scientists who don't agree.

I have no interest in trying to answer your rhetorical questions. Sorry.

I think you'll find that Akrasia didn't mention the IPCC. He mentioned the scientists doing the science. Its nothing short of disingenuous to tke a comment referring to the scientists, imply that what was meant was the IPCC, and that the IPCC is not solely made up of scientists.

While I am not a spokesman for Prof Christie, you seem to have appointed yourself as spokesman for Akrasia, and have decided to translate what he said. I am really not getting into silly arguments where you misinterpret what I say. If you have read an implication into what i have said, than thats whats it is, you reading an implication into something I have said which I didn't mean.
    I've no idea who Professor Lindzen is referring to, but he seems to be referring to something completely different. I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess that he was referring to some position taken by the IPCC, which is not the only measure by which people have arrived at the position that there is a consensus.

You are free to guess, and lets hope your guess is correct!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 john12

|in the bible it said the word is going to end by fire and storms is this climate change.

While I am not a spokesman for Prof Christie, you seem to have appointed yourself as spokesman for Akrasia, and have decided to translate what he said. I am really not getting into silly arguments where you misinterpret what I say. If you have read an implication into what i have said, than thats whats it is, you reading an implication into something I have said which I didn't mean.
    When I said thousands of scientists, I was referring to the people out there on the ground collecting data, measuring temperatures, cataloguing the changes to glaciers and animal migrations, analysing tree ring data, ice cores, geologists, people collecting co2 readings etc.
    The IPCC referenced 6000 peer reviewed publications in its last report, these are authored by scientists actively working in the field. This is the primary evidence for Global Warming. The IPCC is merely a review agency, their reports are reviews of the existing evidence. The vast majority of the peer reviewed scientific literature on the subject accepts that global warming is real, the vast majority of the physical evidence supports the theory of AGW.

There is constant debate about the specifics of the theory within each field of study and there is plenty of uncertainty about many of the details, but the overall picture is clear, that AGW is real and if we don't reduce emissions, the probability is very high that we will suffer severe consequences.

B Prof Lindzen was on the BBC debating climate change last night and I have to say, he came across very poorly. he appeared dismissive and contrarian.

It is worth noting that Prof Lindzen is associated with think tanks like the George C Marshall institute, a group funded heavily by Exxon mobil that is clearly just an extention of their PR department.
    Prof Lindsen also hires himself out as a 'Consultant' to the likes of Shell and Exxon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Marshall_Institute

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Akrasia wrote: »
    B Prof Lindzen was on the BBC debating climate change last night and I have to say, he came across very poorly. he appeared dismissive and contrarian.

It is worth noting that Prof Lindzen is associated with think tanks like the George C Marshall institute, a group funded heavily by Exxon mobil that is clearly just an extention of their PR department.
    Prof Lindsen also hires himself out as a 'Consultant' to the likes of Shell and Exxon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Marshall_Institute

He also recently debated Mark Maslin on the subject on Timesonline. Prof Linzen came across as very dismissive too.

The point I was attempting to highlight is that time and time again we hear that the vast majority of scientists agree that global warming is man made. Even if that were true, (which is denied), there are still significant numbers of serious scientists who don't agree.
    To which, you supply a hand-picked selection of quotes, from a tiny number of individuals, who make claims which may or may not be relevant, and which themselves lack quantification.

If you're trying to establish taht there is a sizeable body of dissenters, who's dissent is with the underlying science, then I would submit that you need a better set of quotes.
    I have no interest in trying to answer your rhetorical questions. Sorry.
    The questions highlight that its not clear at all what it is that is being disagreed with, nor by how many.

It is, of course, your perogative to choose not to clarify the detail behind the quotes that you've been repeating time and time again. If you're happy to base your argument on unclear comments, and are not interested in showing that there is reason to interpret them the way you feel they shoudl be....far be it from me to stop you undermining your own argument.

While I am not a spokesman for Prof Christie, you seem to have appointed yourself as spokesman for Akrasia, and have decided to translate what he said.
    Akrasia didn't mention the IPCC. You responded with a quote which explicitly refers to the IPCC, and which seems to do little more then clarify that it is not entirely comprised of scientists.

Again, its your choice not to bolster your arguments, to show why they are relevant to the discussion at hand.
    I am really not getting into silly arguments where you misinterpret what I say.
    I pointed out how the comment you supplied is not something that Akrasia's stated claims (which you also supplied) is necessarily in disagreement with...which is what you claimed.

If I'm misinterpreting your position, then why not clarify how you see the two as being incompatible positions?
    You are free to guess, and lets hope your guess is correct!
    I was showing that his comment is without proper context. Again, if you'd prefer to not supply the context to show that your argument is valid, that's your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Mozart1986

[...]

Science has nothing to do with consensus. You think to much of these polls. Science has everything to do with empirically verifiable assertions. In the M.I.T forum on 'climategate' that was posted here a few days ago (or maybe on the 'climategate' thread) Ronald G. Prinn [http://web.mit.edu/rprinn/ (my link worked:D) was a very reasonable proponent of AGW. He made it very clear that he, after initial scepticism ten years ago, had converted to the view that carbon dioxide and other green-house gases were the cause of global warming. He also comfirmed some of the assertions made in the documentary we are discussing. Carbon dioxide is a relatively minor green-house gas for instance. That doesn't mean that this minor green-house gas can't push the climate out of equilibrium in some way though. Some "sceptics" here misrepresented Prinn's view to twist the argument in their favour. That only serves to convolute the discussion and to discredit the sceptical position. There are many proponents that discredit their position also. But this is my main point, and its clear if you'll think about it.

Prinn said that the main reason for the consensus among many climatologists and scientists is to do with risk. If they are wrong then all is well and good. But if the science is correct then we don't have another planet to fall back on should we screw this one up. But the actual science is extremely complex and it is still a very credible position to dispute the magnitude of AGW. Some might say that the earth is a big planet and she can look after herself. But then the argument is: "would you drive around a bend at 90mps or 20mps if you can't see clearly ahead of you?"

And then becomes the issue of peoples sovereignty and the fact that only local government can properly utilise it's resources and look after its population. I don't mean "local", as in county councils, I just mean a representative government that is connected in an actual dialogue with its constituents. Governments are losing that quality and AGW is being used to get rid of it. Thats the crux of the issue. People don't want to accept the judgement of others, they want to see for themselves. If you believe that the discourse is too technical and complex for these people you still have to produce the data to give them that opportunity. Research funded publically should be open to the public.

Watch the video. You'll find it very easilly but I don't know how to do links on the thing.

Your gut feeling about Lindzen is totally wrong. He was discussing the IPCC process and saying that they put people's names on the list to bolster its credibility and to bring them into the process. They don't necessarily ask them and they also bring in people from many backgrounds and expertise outside academia. The latter is actually quite reasonable. There are many aspects to the issues, social and infrastructural issues in the developing world for instance, that might need other forms of expertise to understand. But the quote is transparent and in context.

I could write an essay, but safe to say, the consensus is not relevant. For society to be moral and rational there must be a universal discourse. If people then put their faith in institutions then fine. But most people can't force some people to have faith in those institutions. That is not morally acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I have no interest in trying to answer your rhetorical questions.
    It seems you have little interest in answering any questions.

This is not a blog where you can simply post your views and then walk away unchallenged, it’s a discussion forum. If you’re not prepared to discuss what you post and engage with others, then kindly refrain from posting.

john12 wrote: »
    |in the bible it said the word is going to end by fire and storms is this climate change.
    Wrong forum john12 – I suggest you try this one.

Mozart1986 wrote: »
    Science has nothing to do with consensus.

Of course thats true, and the reason why when someone makes the claim that thousands of scientists agree that global warming is man made, it's not really an argument either way. Since many other scientists think there is good evidence to question that, too, it seems a hollow point.

Mozart1986 wrote: »
    Science has nothing to do with consensus.
    Indirectly it does.

The absolute best that science can offer us is when the experts in the particular field agree that what they have is currently the best they can offer us....that it is something they can say is good science.
    You think to much of these polls.
    if people weren't constantly arguing that there were swathes of respectable scientists who disagree with the science, none of this would be necessary.

While there are such people, I can only ask why it is that you're not telling them the same thing...that the numbers who dissent are meaningless. As Einstein said...one would suffice, were he correct.
    Your gut feeling about Lindzen is totally wrong. He was discussing the IPCC process and saying that they put people's names on the list to bolster its credibility and to bring them into the process.
    My gut feeling about Lindzen was that he was referring to something related to the IPCC...and not to the study that I had mentioned, or the groups of scientists that Akrasia was referring to.

In that respect, what you're saying is that my gut feeling was totally correct.
    I could write an essay, but safe to say, the consensus is not relevant.
    For acceptance of science, it is absolutely relevant. For correctness of science...again, I'll defer to the patent clerk. One would suffice.

• Advertisement

Indirectly it does.

We'll have to disagree. Gallilleo was right, and he was one scientist against the whole consensus of scientists of his day.

Sure, we may think that a whole bunch of scientists might be right, but is this case there are two different bunches of scientists, one lot saying they are right and know the truth, and another lot saying they are no so sure.

We'll have to disagree. Gallilleo was right, and he was one scientist against the whole consensus of scientists of his day.

Sure, we may think that a whole bunch of scientists might be right, but is this case there are two different bunches of scientists, one lot saying they are right and know the truth, and another lot saying they are no so sure.

Em Galileo invented the scientific method before then it was assumed that everything could be understood via logical reasoning and deduction.
    Galileo gave rise to empiricism.

The issue with the debate on AGW is whether those opposed (or for) have vested interests. The consensus among the scientific community is that AGW is most plausible theory at the moment and that the majority evidence supports it. It is up to the "skeptics" to show evidence that refutes the theory of AGW via good science, not by politics or conspiracy theories.
    As citizens we have no choice but to either accept the consensus, or disprove it in the peer reviewed process. (As many qualified scientists are trying to do).
    If we apply the logic that all scientists have to agree on everything then we'd be in really sticky water.
    • Many scientists deny the theory of evolution.
    • Many scientists deny HIV causes aids.
    • Many scientists claim Mobile Phones cause cancer.
    • Many scientists claim vaccines cause autism.
    The thing to watch though is how many of these "deniers" are denying their own respective field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Mozart1986

While there are such people, I can only ask why it is that you're not telling them the same thing...that the numbers who dissent are meaningless. As Einstein said...one would suffice, were he correct.

Are you accusing me of being partial? Thats ridiculous, you mustn't have read my post at all. I've been criticising "sceptics" throughout and I make note everytime I've seen them step outside of reason and humility. I actually haven't heard many people use the argument that there actually are of "swathes" of scientists that dispute AGW. If I had I'd have commented on it, or maybe I'd have been too lazy. I'd definitely have taken note of who said and read the rest of their assertions with more scepticism. Often I do comment though. Do you ever criticise the bad arguments for AGW? I can't remember a single occasion and I've read a lot of your comments in the last few days.

To clarify, the credible argument against the consensus is not that there are lots of scientists in some alternative consensus that disagree with the main consensus. Thats just stupid. The credible argument is that the consensus is irrelevant as it is unscientific. As you said, the poll shows that 18% of scientists don't believe in AGW, or are "sceptical" After all, thats a scientists duty. Now, the methods in climatologists are dubious. A geologist may contend that the use of computer models is unscientific. If the peer review process is dominated, within climatology, by people who trust implicitly in the outputs of computer models then that can reasonably be considered as a mediator between reality and the scientific field that is artificial. That is a credible position, even if most scientists don't hold it. So the 97% poll is not a good argument if the consensus is based on implicitly relying upon the methods that produce the results, which are considered questionable by other fields of science.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Em Galileo invented the scientific method before then it was assumed that everything could be understood via logical reasoning and deduction.
    Galileo gave rise to empiricism.

The issue with the debate on AGW is whether those opposed (or for) have vested interests. The consensus among the scientific community is that AGW is most plausible theory at the moment and that the majority evidence supports it. It is up to the "skeptics" to show evidence that refutes the theory of AGW via good science, not by politics or conspiracy theories.
    As citizens we have no choice but to either accept the consensus, or disprove it in the peer reviewed process. (As many qualified scientists are trying to do).
    If we apply the logic that all scientists have to agree on everything then we'd be in really sticky water.
    • Many scientists deny the theory of evolution.
    • Many scientists deny HIV causes aids.
    • Many scientists claim Mobile Phones cause cancer.
    • Many scientists claim vaccines cause autism.
    The thing to watch though is how many of these "deniers" are denying their own respective field.

I have to say I find it unusual that many "scientists", who are qualified and have an interest in the topic have, for example, denied that HIV causes AIDS. Or that vaccines cause autism.

In any case, it's not really relevant here to the fact that many scientists, who are highly qualified and who are highly thought of, question the assertion, based on the evidence they have seen, that global warming is caused by mankind.

I have to say I find it unusual that many "scientists", who are qualified and have an interest in the topic have, for example, denied that HIV causes AIDS. Or that vaccines cause autism.

In any case, it's not really relevant here to the fact that many scientists, who are highly qualified and who are highly thought of, question the assertion, based on the evidence they have seen, that global warming is caused by mankind.

Oh but it wholly relevant the pattern is almost identical.
    Scientists against vaccines.
    Scientists against evolution.
    Scientists against HIV causing AIDs.

Are all highly qualified and well thought of by some people
    Personally, I think they're crackpots.

Oh but it wholly relevant the pattern is almost identical.
    Scientists against vaccines.
    Scientists against evolution.
    Scientists against HIV causing AIDs.

Are all highly qualified and well thought of by some people
    Personally, I think they're crackpots.

Great. What it's got to do with a thread called "The Great Global Warming Swindle" seems uncertain, but thanks for sharing your exciting views on unnamed scientists who you think are crackpots.

What it's got to do with a thread called "The Great Global Warming Swindle" seems uncertain, but thanks for sharing your exciting views on unnamed scientists...
    The words "pot" and "kettle" spring to mind.

Great. What it's got to do with a thread called "The Great Global Warming Swindle" seems uncertain, but thanks for sharing your exciting views on unnamed scientists who you think are crackpots.

The pattern used by people pushing an anti scientific agenda is nearly always the same.
    So it's every bit relevant.

Firstly though, you wanted names.
    Anti Vax - Andrew Wakefield
    Anti Evolution - Michael J Behe
    Anti HIV - Peter_Duesberg
    All of the above folks are crackpots in my view.

Now the pattern.
    Publish a paper in a lesser known far from reputable Journal. Usually, an online one that allows anything to be published for the right fee.
    Later publish a literary review in a more prestigious journal referencing lesser known paper.
    Publicise the sh1t out of said paper in the media trying to make is sound like there is a genuine debate and Big Science is actively quashing it.
    Even when said paper has been actively debunked by subsequent reputable journal papers, continue referencing it and publicising the sh1t out it in an attempt to exaggerate the debate and spread confusion among the general population.

I write this as someone who was almost whisked into the anti evolution movement.
    Don't get me wrong there are genuine skeptics who are actively following the rules and trying to refute scientific theories the proper way. Others are just using it as some sort of anti science agenda.

The pattern used by people pushing an anti scientific agenda is nearly always the same.
    So it's every bit relevant.

Firstly though, you wanted names.
    Anti Vax - Andrew Wakefield
    Anti Evolution - Michael J Behe
    Anti HIV - Peter_Duesberg
    All of the above folks are crackpots in my view.

Now the pattern.
    Publish a paper in a lesser known far from reputable Journal. Usually, an online one that allows anything to be published for the right fee.
    Later publish a literary review in a more prestigious journal referencing lesser known paper.
    Publicise the sh1t out of said paper in the media trying to make is sound like there is a genuine debate and Big Science is actively quashing it.
    Even when said paper has been actively debunked by subsequent reputable journal papers, continue referencing it and publicising the sh1t out it in an attempt to exaggerate the debate and spread confusion among the general population.

I write this as someone who was almost whisked into the anti evolution movement.
    Don't get me wrong there are genuine skeptics who are actively following the rules and trying to refute scientific theories the proper way. Others are just using it as some sort of anti science agenda.

I recognise something in what you say. I remember Jean Beanaviste (not spelled correctly) tricked Nature to publish what he claimed were his results for water memory as a reason why homoeopathy works. When his results were peer reviewed ( after the publication) they were found to be bogus, and non repeatable. But the claim lives on that water has a memory.

While there may be those who look to use this as part of some sort of anti-science aganda, the people I quote earlier are all respected scientists who have questions about the science behind the claims that global warming is man made. Some are even on the IPCC, and I think its foolhardy to dismiss such people as "anti science".

• Advertisement

I recognise something in what you say. I remember Jean Beanaviste (not spelled correctly) tricked Nature to publish what he claimed were his results for water memory as a reason why homoeopathy works. When his results were peer reviewed ( after the publication) they were found to be bogus, and non repeatable. But the claim lives on that water has a memory.

While there may be those who look to use this as part of some sort of anti-science aganda, the people I quote earlier are all respected scientists who have questions about the science behind the claims that global warming is man made. Some are even on the IPCC, and I think its foolhardy to dismiss such people as "anti science".

I'm not disputing some of those people you mentioned (having only glanced through this thread). I'm just warning you of how often the Galileo reference and lack of consensus is falsely used.:)
    If no scientist was questioning man-made global warming then I would be very worried indeed. However, we must go on what present day evidence we have and that is strong support for AGW, minimal for everything else. At the end of day the best science with the most evidence will eventually come to the fore. The problem is there is so much evidence at the moment supporting AGW we can't just ignore it and keep trying to pick holes in it to get an absolutely 100% correct theory, because by then it could be too late to do anything about something that we knew for years.

Advertisement