Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Home Premium - XP/Vista Upgrade pack

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

I got an upgrade download of Win 7 Pro on the first day it came out using the gf's UK e-mail address, paid for on an Irish card. Lots of hiccups on that first day but I believe all sorted now.

It's the serial that's important not the download itself. That is available from pretty much anywhere on the Net, or indeed you could prolly use the disc off a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable with the download only option, too much room for error.

Not sure what could go wrong that couldn't go wrong with any other installation method.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mcw92 wrote: »
    how many pc's can this be installed on?
    Only one at a time. Not running one at a time, only installed on one machine.

If you upgraded OEM then you can never install on another machine
    you can't even keep using that install if you change the motherboard.

Only one at a time. Not running one at a time, only installed on one machine.

If you upgraded OEM then you can never install on another machine
    you can't even keep using that install if you change the motherboard.

Is it not if the motherboard craps out you can call them and they let you install it on a new one?

Effluo wrote: »
    Is it not if the motherboard craps out you can call them and they let you install it on a new one?

No, only with retail copies. With OEM you can only continue to use the licence if the new motherboard was provided as a replacement by the OEM who built your PC (and this usually only applies to the big names like Dell, HP etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

If your a student or a lecturer you can get it for €49.99 here

Sounds like a great offer if your not though!

You can actually get it for free if your a student or lecturer(edit: actually i think its only if your a computing student) through MSDN Academic Alliance. Just get onto the relevant people in your college and they'll sort you out. I've got windows 7 Pro 32bit and 64bit now for free. You can't beat free

I think they might be a multiple use licsence too, not sure though. Theres a bunch of other software on there too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Karsini wrote: »
    No, only with retail copies. With OEM you can only continue to use the licence if the new motherboard was provided as a replacement by the OEM who built your PC (and this usually only applies to the big names like Dell, HP etc).

Strictly speaking this is true, however they are usually fairly lenient on this point . I haven't heard of many being refused a re activation when claiming to have replaced a dodgy motherboard.

You don't usually don't need to call for a Retail Edition change.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Strictly speaking this is true, however they are usually fairly lenient on this point . I haven't heard of many being refused a re activation when claiming to have replaced a dodgy motherboard.

Also MS are/were/will be in a court case about the terms of use of their oem operating systems. The legality of it is in question

After 120 days this is usually the case. I did have to phone up to reactivate a retail Windows 7 Home Premium after replacing a dodgy motherboard (it had only been activated for a week or so) but all that happened was the automated system asked "on how many computers is your product currently installed?" Once I acknowledged that it was only on one machine they accepted the entry without needing to talk to anyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Karsini wrote: »
    After 120 days this is usually the case. I did have to phone up to reactivate a retail Windows 7 Home Premium after replacing a dodgy motherboard (it had only been activated for a week or so) but all that happened was the automated system asked "on how many computers is your product currently installed?" Once I acknowledged that it was only on one machine they accepted the entry without needing to talk to anyone.
    the 120 days / automated system are to reduce support costs

if you answered incorrectly then it's fraud / license infringement on your part

the people you ring up probably don't work for microsoft since they outsource a lot of support

Bottom line, there is a reason why microsoft charge more for some licenses, it's not just a tax on stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

the 120 days / automated system are to reduce support costs

if you answered incorrectly then it's fraud / license infringement on your part

the people you ring up probably don't work for microsoft since they outsource a lot of support

Bottom line, there is a reason why microsoft charge more for some licenses, it's not just a tax on stupidity

I am not sure that it is an area they are losing too much sleep over.

As for license infringement I would be interested to see a test case whereby a customer with an out of warranty OEM motherboard was refused re-activation on a self bought replacement.

Anyway probably a bit off topic for bargain alerts, and I am sure the last thing you want to see on the windows forum is another thread on this topic. :)

Point is it's not a bargain unless you are aware of the possible limitations.

Likewise just because 98% of cars broke the old 30mph speed limit doesn't make it legal if they aren't all prosecuted.

Likewise just because 98% of cars broke the old 30mph speed limit doesn't make it legal if they aren't all prosecuted.

?

Point is it's not a bargain unless you are aware of the possible limitations.

Limitations which I very clearly pointed out in my second post on the thread.

Personally I think that if a product can purchased for £63 inc PP that is on average selling for about £80 + PP (at the time of posting) in other UK e-tailers then it is a bargain.

If you have an OEM version of XP or vista there are two ways of getting Windows 7 onto your PC, one is to buy the full retail version, the other is to buy the upgrade.

The latter is the cheapest way, and the amazon price is the best I have seen thus far.

Apologies for not taking the time to post a detailed synopsis of each possible variant of the EULA as well, will try do better next time.

Advertisement