Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News Now on DTT

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭katnia

Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area but I have a Humax Foxsat HDR (high definition one), is it possible for me to get this channel? If so, how?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

SRB wrote: »
    Are there any regional opting facilities in the system ?

I don't know. I just know it's a central feed based on the stream analysis from different masts - the stream is identical in all cases and has been from the start.

@katnia: The Humax has a DVB-S2 tuner which is suitable for satellite only, and not for terrestrial digital (DVB-T).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

katnia wrote: »
    Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area but I have a Humax Foxsat HDR (high definition one), is it possible for me to get this channel? If so, how?

Thanks

Nope. This is a Irish digital terrestrial station. The Humax is for freesat and diesnt have a DVB-T or terrestrial tuner.
    not true.

If the tv has a cam [conditional access module] slot in the back,you just stick one of these tiny things in ...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260513146609

Well thats not true either. The Neotion Cams dont support ALL tvs. A lot of manufacturers have not followed the CI standards to the T.

It does work on these Hitachi's

P42T01 E
    P42TP01 E
    P50TP01 E
    L37X01 E
    P60XR01 E
    P50XR01

Check this list to http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59662002&postcount=41

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭katnia

Thanks for the info...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Will RTE be using mpeg4 software for definite when they officially launch their DTT service or is there any chance they might use mpeg2? All RTE digital radio channels gone since the first week in January and I get a test tone on TG4. As i have Freeview built into my tv i can only get sound and no picture.

• Advertisement

Will RTE be using mpeg4 software for definite when they officially launch their DTT service or is there any chance they might use mpeg2? All RTE digital radio channels gone since the first week in January and I get a test tone on TG4. As i have Freeview built into my tv i can only get sound and no picture.

The Irish standard is and will be MPEG4 DVB-T. Your options are either an MPEG4->MPEG2 converter CAM if your TV is compatible or a separate MPEG4 set top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Glimmerman, as Apogee says, one option is the cam.RTÉ have been using MPEG4 since September 2008 & if you look at www.digitaltelevision.ie they mention it. So you can take it as a given as he said. That's why you get no picture because Freeview is MPEG2, which can't understand the newer MPEG4 video encoding. (not supported message).

If you don't want to go for the cam then at this stage, I'd buy either an Freeview HD especially if RTÉ update in next few years to DVB-T2 transmission from DVB-T (DVB-T1). Freeview HD unlike Freeview is MPEG4. Stb's will be on sale next month and TVs middle of March roughly. So you won't have to buy a new stb in another few years. I suspect OneVision stb's will be DVB-T2. Kinda makes sense.

scath wrote: »
    So you won't have to buy a new stb in another few years.

For what?
    I suspect OneVision stb's will be DVB-T2.

Based on what evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I suspect OneVision stb's will be DVB-T2. Kinda makes sense.

Not a chance of that, if and when they launch they will want as many subscribers as possible in a short a time as possible - they won't be waiting around for viewers to purchace DVB-T2 equipment. An upgrade of existing DVB-T receivers is not possible.

I suspect that when they launch they will make available a CAM module and card to allow viewers to upgrade existing equipment for pay-DTT. We don't know yet what encryption standard they have chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

I suspect OneVision stb's will be DVB-T2. Kinda makes sense.

I would say not a hope in hell. They will want to keep costs as low as possible t encourage signup and this would be one sure way not to do so. There wont be any HD on Irish DTT in the short term

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys good to hear that the tvs will be on the market in the not too distant future. I think i will wait and buy a tv when they come on the market.

I have just received my Turbosat MPEG4 to MPEG2 Viaccess cam from Sayor TV. I just inserted it into the ci slot in my Technika pro tv and it doesn't seem to decode the RTE digital signal. I am getting sound on all channels before i put the card in and after i put the card in but the picture stays blank. Is there something else i should be doing or is the card not compatible with my tv. Any help would be appreciated guys. I was going to wait for the MPEG4 tvs to come onto the market but changed my mind and decided to go for the card:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I have just received my Turbosat MPEG4 to MPEG2 Viaccess cam from Sayor TV. I just inserted it into the ci slot in my Technika pro tv and it doesn't seem to decode the RTE digital signal. I am getting sound on all channels before i put the card in and after i put the card in but the picture stays blank. Is there something else i should be doing or is the card not compatible with my tv. Any help would be appreciated guys. I was going to wait for the MPEG4 tvs to come onto the market but changed my mind and decided to go for the card:mad:

I read on this forum before that the cam does not work with the Technike range. I suggest you return TV and get a mpeg4 capable TV. there are loads of them out there, including Sony, philips, samsung and LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

As usual a thread about one thing gets dragged all over the place :rolleyes:

I, for one, am delighted to have this extra channel, it has HUGE WAF in my house. :D

Advertisement