Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My goal

• 03-12-2009 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Goal : PBP in 2011.

Current bike state : One well beaten up Surly Cross Check with crap brakes, different rims front/back, different tires front/back, bar tape that's falling off and interrupter levers meant for oversize bars and only staying on thanks to a crap shim made from some inner tubes. Oh and a dynamo hub on the front for extra drag.

Future bike state : Planning to get a new one in April/May when I can afford it again. Currently looking at a Surly Pacer with full Ultegra and Ultegra/Open Pro wheels.

Current cycling : About 10 minutes x 4 times a day to/from train stations, with the odd 10 minute cycle to get to the shops.

Future cycling : Plan to bring my bike on the train more and start getting off at exotic places like Hazelhatch/Celbridge or Sallins/Naas and cycle to/from there. Hazelhatch is 20kms from work, so that's 40km return. Plan to start getting out at the weekends too but family/work reasons means it's not always possible. For 2010, I would like to get a 200/300/400km series done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

penexpers wrote: »
    Goal : PBP in 2011.

A worthy goal, sir...could be quite an extensive Irish contingent on the starting line in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

rottenhat wrote: »
    A worthy goal, sir...could be quite an extensive Irish contingent on the starting line in 2011.
    I assume most people who are interested have already seen this info from Paul O'Donohue, but just in case.....
    http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/audax/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

LastGasp wrote: »
    I assume most people who are interested have already seen this info from Paul O'Donohue, but just in case.....
    http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/audax/

Yeah I read that but from my understanding this should actually benefit Ireland. As Paul says we are an up and coming country in terms of Audax.

The RUSA has some info about how the numbers will be determined

http://www.rusa.org/pbp-2011-entries.html

Update:

Santa came with some CRC vouchers so I have ordered the bits that I was missing. Pity the snow has put paid to any chances of me starting cycling again. I was going to see about the Lumpy 200 but I think I will give it a miss now. Will probably aim for Kare Tour De Foothills now.

So we are now in June and I have yet to break 100km in a single cycle so far this year. Going to stick to sportives for this year, hopefully build up a decent level and try and keep it up during the winter. Still plan to have a go at PBP next year but I doubt I will get any audaxing done this year.

• Advertisement

Might as well start recording some cycles

Saturday : 73km @ ????
    Today : 64km @ 28.3km/h

One very annoying thing about my computer (a Cateye) is that it doesn't stop counting until the speed is 0, meaning the avg speed gets a bit messed up cos of all the stopping at junctions etc. I reckon my actual avg speed is probably closer to 30km/h (or even above it) but I have no way of proving this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I think you must complete a 2/3/400 series in 2010 to be able to enter for PBP in 2011.

Are there enough accredited Audax events left in 2010 to complete this?

beans wrote: »
    I think you must complete a 2/3/400 series in 2010 to be able to enter for PBP in 2011.

Are there enough accredited Audax events left in 2010 to complete this?

No only events in 2011 are required for PBP. Events in 2010 will get you priority application for PBP alright, but they are certainly not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

That's a big relief. I'm hoping to start PBP2011 too.

I had planned to get the Dying Sow / Dying Light 300 / 200 done by the end of the year, but hadn't planned on tackling a 400 until the new year!

A measly 35km today. Got halfway out and started feeling rubbish so I turned back. Still managed to get that done in 75 minutes so not too bad. I slightly bonked on the way home. Will need to start watching what I eat before and during a cycle.

Plan for next week is maybe a short 20km spin tomorrow, hoping to do 80-100km on Tuesday and Tour of Louth on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Never got round to going out on that Tuesday because I was down with some kind of infection. Managed to do the Tour of Louth, was on time for gold (or thereabouts) when I had a mechanical. Ended up rolling around in ~5 hours total (3 hours 50 actual cycling time) but at least I broker 100km for the first time this year.

Looking forward to heading down to Kerry now.

Got round the ROK in about 6 hours 30 mins (or so). Got held up a lot so I suspect I would have knocked 30 minutes off that time if there wasn't so many groups. Felt good after it.

Haven't been on the bike since though (family commitments + work is busy). Hope to get out this week and weekend. Next on the list is Tour of Kilkenny at the end of the month.

Going to try and make an effort for one of the audax events in September.

Advertisement