Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom DJ using MP3s

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a beginner DJ setup to use with MP3s.
    I've come across a couple that look like they fit the bill perfectly (for me....total noob to this lark)
    The ION iCue & the Hercules DJ Console (also the Hercules MP3 E2 Mixer).

Could anyone recommend one of these or point me to better alternatives ?

Thanks all..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

the hercules mk2 is fine for bedroom use and has a soundcard so you can cue properly. Should be able to pick it up for around the 100 mark second hand. no idea on the numark one. I use the Hercules rmx now when I gig as the mk 2 was a bit fisher price for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

The other threads on digital set-ups are more geared towards quite a professional set-up, Vestax, Allen+Heath etc, so if you only want to throw in a hundred or two to see if you like it, go for something like the Hercules, or the Numark Total Control, or the Vestax 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depending on your budget you could go for the Cortex HDTT5000 units. They are proper decks and take away the need for a laptop. You can pick up a set for about €500 in the US.

Link: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cortex/hdtt5000

Laptop Dj-ing is great and a cheap route to go but the problem is you need a decent laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭robbie against

my advice would be try buy WAVs mate. if you ever do fancy playing out on decent soundsystem the MP3s just aint up to scratch.

my advice would be try buy WAVs mate. if you ever do fancy playing out on decent soundsystem the MP3s just aint up to scratch.
    :rolleyes:

320s are fine for playing out mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭robbie against

its a debate that will always be brought up but from my experience playing in clubs is that the sound isnt good enough from any mp3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

its a debate that will always be brought up but from my experience playing in clubs is that the sound isnt good enough from any mp3s.

do ya know any good sites 2 get underground oldskool wav files? ie. asylum, sides, stuff. most of the 1's i know just have mp3's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Cheers for all the replies guys. The Hercules MK2 might be worth a punt...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

That is completely untrue, 320kpbs are almost indistinguishable from WAV files

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

u shouldnt notice the difference between wavs or mp3s. unless your a dog or some other creature that can hear the missing frequencies.

OP: it might sound a bit pricey but id go for the hercules rmx. i have one at home and its perfect for bedroom mixing n house parties. easy to use too, and you can use it with tractor or whatever and map all the buttons to your liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

if 320's are good enough for tiesto, then their good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I've the Hercules Mk.1 about a fortnight and I find it great - tiny little soundcard and ample midi-mappability on the controller itself. Not the best build quality but just the ticket for house parties.

As for the mp3 debate, 256kbps mp3s are fine unless you're playing on a Funktion rig or something - especially if you're dealing with ableton which warps everything anyway.

yeah ive been using the hercules and its a super little box, although i think i am going to opt for the xponent. the guy i play with cant understand at all why, but he also doesnt know what an anorak is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Táck wrote: »
    yeah ive been using the hercules and its a super little box, although i think i am going to opt for the xponent. the guy i play with cant understand at all why, but he also doesnt know what an anorak is.

If you have the option (i.e. cash) go for the Xponent definitely. I was literally looking for the cheapest thing I could get second hand - so if (when) it gets wrecked at an afterparty I won't be too pushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

If i had cash id go for 2x pioneer cdjs (even the cdj 400s) and a pioneer djm 600 mixer :D

6336-CDJtop.jpg

djm600_1.jpg

I hate the look of the 400's. They just are too box-y. Now, the CDJ 900 or 2000. Then we're talking :pac:

OP, my pick of the rest would be the X-Ponent or the RMX. Just remember you need a decent laptop (Less than 18 months old) with decent HD space.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I hate the look of the 400's. They just are too box-y. Now, the CDJ 900 or 2000. Then we're talking :pac:

OP, my pick of the rest would be the X-Ponent or the RMX. Just remember you need a decent laptop (Less than 18 months old) with decent HD space.

Obviously Id go for the 2000s is had the money :pac::pac:
    Best laptop to get is a mac, but expensive :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Warning - silly question alert!

Anything less than 320kpbs is a complete no-go!?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I never used it but a lot of people say great things about the hercules mixers, i think we have a total control mixer in work that does the job too but its not used too much.

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Warning - silly question alert!

Anything less than 320kpbs is a complete no-go!?

You'll get away with 256 as well, but I'd say 128 is a bit too low for playing out.

• Advertisement

You'll get away with 256 as well, but I'd say 128 is a bit too low for playing out.

Agreed 128 is a tad low. However, at high volume and in a normal club setting most people can't tell the difference.

+1 on the Mac by the way. VERY hard to crash and seemless intergration into most software suites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Agreed 128 is a tad low. However, at high volume and in a normal club setting most people can't tell the difference.

Aye, 128 is going to sound crap, especially if its poorly encoded. I personally wouldn't consider playing something below 192, and would prefer to stick with 320 or waves unless there's no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In a lot of places 96 would do, the punters are too sloshed to care and the PAs are pushing the limits.

Has anyone ever done a test to see whether regular club goers can notice the difference between 128/256/320 and wav?

In a lot of places 96 would do, the punters are too sloshed to care and the PAs are pushing the limits.

I would never play a 92. All my newest stuff is at least 320.

No tests have been done and to be honest there is no need. No download store sells anything below 320 / WAV these days to my knowledge. And if your encoding your CD's into 128 to DJ you need your head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I ain't a DJ, but I always thought playing something along the lines of 128 at high volums in a club would sound blurry, bassy and generally unclear!?

do some controllers not pick up on a lower quality and re-jig it to sound better??

my mate has the hercules, and i was on my high horse saying all i'd play was 320's and to be honest no matter what he plays it sounds pretty much the same, at least it does to those who know no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

personally its 320 or nothin for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

SRFC90 wrote: »
    I ain't a DJ, but I always thought playing something along the lines of 128 at high volums in a club would sound blurry, bassy and generally unclear!?

most club systems are blurry, bassy and unclear.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    most club systems are blurry, bassy and unclear.

Loads clubs sound is very poorly setup, its handy have a mate whos sound engineer or someone with a clue, cos most the clubs just lob in a sound system and think its done.

Some are terrible

Advertisement