Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More telescopes in Lidl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

dmkdr wrote: »
    Thanks, superdog. Spoke to someone tonight who saw the ETX-70 in Lidl Carrigaline, which isn't too far away. She thought there was no tripod included - is that right? I might go ahead and order the ebay one just so I have it (not as good a deal al Lidl I'm sure, but it possibly does have a couple of extra bits included).

dmkdr , when they are sold out in the shops in the city , theres always a good chance you will find them in the stores in the likes of Midleton , Carrigaline , Youghal etc .

Last time i was looking for something that had sold out in the city , i tried ringing all the other stores in the county and nobody picked up the fone at all ! I got what i was looking for in Midleton !

Good luck in your search ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Hi all, im itching to get at telescope, but not allowed untill christmas day, anyhow in the meantime i have been getting great winter shots outside with my cannon 1000d now, and have 50-250 lens for christmas also, can anyone help, what do i need to get to be able to connect the camera to the telescope, so i can take pictures, any help would be great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

dmkdr, the lidl ones do have the tripod, unless of course someone removed one from the box, which isn't that easy to do.

thecretinhop, you need to get an adapter for the telescope to connect to the camera, and a t-ring adapter for the Canon - total cost about €30.00 I think.

Thats great, I will be in town tommorow will get them from local camera shop, thanks for that!

Hi all, im itching to get at telescope, but not allowed untill christmas day, anyhow in the meantime i have been getting great winter shots outside with my cannon 1000d now, and have 50-250 lens for christmas also, can anyone help, what do i need to get to be able to connect the camera to the telescope, so i can take pictures, any help would be great:)

Any help ????

http://www.astronomyforbeginners.com/equipment/camera.php

• Advertisement

Yes, very handy,cheers, theres one thing the web is not short of is sites on telescopes... i used to be big into astromony when i was younger, its like learning to cycle it never leaves ye, i gave it up because i used live near airport, they upgraded lights a few years ago, couldnt see fk from then, me and missus now live in country walking dog has got me back into how great the sky is, love dslr photography, love telescopes, i feel i will be on this board a lot more from now on, massive thanks for flagging these telescopes, great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The mount is alt/az. It tracks in both so your images wont likely hold up at higher magnifications

• Registered Users Posts: 33 premiercounty

A brand new lidl has opened up in Newbridge today. They have a good few of the ETX 70AT's left plus at least one of all the other models.. for anyone thats missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

dmkdr wrote: »
    Thanks, superdog. Spoke to someone tonight who saw the ETX-70 in Lidl Carrigaline, which isn't too far away. She thought there was no tripod included - is that right? I might go ahead and order the ebay one just so I have it (not as good a deal al Lidl I'm sure, but it possibly does have a couple of extra bits included).

Hi dmkdr

there's definitely a tripod included. I'd say even if you rang around to the lidl stores in rural Cork they will know if it is still in.

Yes there is a tripod, i was a bit confused about that also, did a check the last day to make sure, it struck me last night that im getting totally hooked into this.... just like my love for dslr cameras, theres always a better longer lens etc, it will be the same with the telesopes;)... something to look forward to etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Hi all,
    GF has gotten me on of those meade etx 70 scopes from lidl for christmas but like previous poster cant have it till the big day itself. :(
    Since the recent metor shower i have been bursting to get it out :P but its hidden somewhere in the house and i am like a 8 year old searching high and low for it. Even went online to youtube to see what images where like through it and now cant wait till next friday.
    Think i will wait until midnight thursday tell her its christmas day and beg to have a go but just my luck it probably will be clowdy for another week :rolleyes:
    Gonna be on here quiet a lot i reckon once i am up and running
    damn wish i could find the bloody thing.

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    GF has gotten me on of those meade etx 70 scopes from lidl for christmas but like previous poster cant have it till the big day itself. :(
    Since the recent metor shower i have been bursting to get it out :P but its hidden somewhere in the house and i am like a 8 year old searching high and low for it. Even went online to youtube to see what images where like through it and now cant wait till next friday.
    Think i will wait until midnight thursday tell her its christmas day and beg to have a go but just my luck it probably will be clowdy for another week :rolleyes:
    Gonna be on here quiet a lot i reckon once i am up and running
    damn wish i could find the bloody thing.

LoL scrubber72 the box is fairly big , id say its not in the house at all if you cant find it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

efla wrote: »
    I'm concerned about the tracking though, the alt/az autotrack makes both vertical and horizontal adjustments and doesnt track in RA, so the image is never centred in the eyepiece.

The little scope tracks well enough to keep items centered in the field of view for minutes at a time.
    For photography, the main issue is field rotation, which limits exposures to less than a few minutes.
    This mount's tracking is perfect for for visual observing or photos of the Moon and brighter planets, but it's not actually good enough to do long exposure photography. It's not the fact that it is alt-az operation, more to do with the small vibrations and general lack of smoothness that comes with cheap plastic gears and a small gear size. If you have a piggy-back adapter to mount the dslr camera parallel to the scope then you would be able to take c. 2-5 minute photos of starfields

If you got a tripod adapter for the ETX scope and used it with a *good* stable tripod, you could mount the scope on the adapter, tilting the adapter to emulate a polar wedge (like this link http://www.atozastro.com/products/photo_tripod_adaptor.asp. This should give you polar tracking and the ability to get 20 minute or longer piggyback photos.

lol! I was caught in the act "inspecting" it for a tripod... its since been hidden again, I agree I think its in her parents house now...

lol! I was caught in the act "inspecting" it for a tripod... its since been hidden again, I agree I think its in her parents house now...

:rolleyes: kids :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 EPD

Stargate wrote: »
    Why go through the expense in getting attachments for cameras and the like so
    you can get shots through your telescope.The simplest way to do it and a lot cheaper
    is to use a Web cam,you can get some fantastic still and video using it,and there is some good free software on line you can use to stack your shots and edit e.g
    Registax 5 is a good one.i use a Logitech web cam with some good results but there is a bit of work to the camera first.If you are interested in using a web cam {pm} me and ill enplane how to do it.Be prepared to butcher you web cam because you wont be able to use it for anything else bar astronomy.
    EPD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 EPD

To any budding amateur astronomers out there and looking for a telescope i would strongly advise you to get onto the astronomy ireland web site before you pay out any money for a telescope,for the price you pay for a scope in the mentioned supermarket
    you will get a very good scope if not better with high quality lens for the same price.
    They will recommend whats best for you if you are only starting out or if you are more experienced, don't go for a telescope because it looks big and looks good, {big doesn't always mean its best}Get advice first and you wont be disappointed.
    EPD.

Ha found it. well hidden though. Just have to wait till friday :( although all the cloud and snow wouldnt help.

Ha found it. well hidden though. Just have to wait till friday :( although all the cloud and snow wouldnt help.

Ah come on scrubber , you have to tell us where it was after all that :rolleyes:

in the attic behind a water tank although i must say the other half did some job. It was bloody awkward to get it in there

• Advertisement

in the attic behind a water tank although i must say the other half did some job. It was bloody awkward to get it in there

scrubber72 ;) you mean you didnt look there first ??? :rolleyes:

Where esle would you hide it ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Diamonddec

Hi everyone! :) Complete newbie here on these Boards. I live in Co. Derry, N. Ireland and stumbled across you all by accident, after tentatively mentioning to the wife that I fancied a telescope for xmas. However, being a complete novice, and never having looked through, never mind owned a telescope before, I was alerted to the fact that Lidl were gonna sell a few earlier in the month, by the OP on this thread... thanks to him! ;) ... Anyhow, on the date that Lidl started selling them, my wife, after being told that I really wanted the Meade ETX 70 AT, scoured at least half a dozen branches around Belfast, but they were all sold out by 11 am, when she got to Belfast! :eek:
    So, I was resigned to my disappointment in missing out, when she had an idea ... her cousin works over in Donegal, so she texted her to see if they had any there. After a few calls, she was able to secure one in Donegal town, although she won't be bringing it back here with her until she comes home on Xmas Eve... but hey!!!!
    The only bummer was that they were selling them up here for £99.99 and she of course had to pay the "Southern" price of 149 euros for it, which equates to about £138!!! ... but never mind!

I am eagerly awaiting getting my hands on it on Xmas Day.

Thanks to all on this forum who have kept me entertained while I wait for my present. I must admit that I've checked out every video and review on the telescope and all seem very favourable, so I am pleased with her purchase.

I will be spending a fair bit of time in here, so I apologise in advance for the nooby questions I will undoubtedly torture you all with! :(

Thanks again!

Good man, this is a great little forum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

There was two left in Lidl on Mullingar on Monday night - the bresser for 69.99 and the big one for 600 euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

One lxd-75 left in Lidl in Doughiska, Galway. A few of the spotting scopes as well, and (I think) one of the manual equatorially-mounted refractors as well there. No ETX-70s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Took the LXD75 out for its first proper run this evening after a few teething problems setting it up :o. The lens that comes with it is ok, you could easily see the disc of Jupiter and 4 of its moons, with no detail but I've gone ahead and ordered a couple of barlow lenses so they should hopefully boost the magnification a bit. Spent a bit of time looking at our own moon which was impressive, but it started to cloud over before I could do much more, but so far so good. :D

took my new meade 70 ext out about an hour ago and it was great. Didnt expect the views of the moon i got but wow. Just stayed out for about 15 min cause it was too cold and foggy but cant wait for it to warm up just a tad and clear nights too.

It's arrived!! :eek: ... Santa cut it a bit fine. but my ETX-70 was delivered by his little helper at 10.15 tonight (well, by the wife's cousin, bringing it from Donegal) :(:D ... But, I haven't seen it yet, as I was on the loo when she came and the wife has hidden it away! :mad: ... So, like the kids, I will just have to wait until the morning before I whip it out! :o

HAPPY XMAS EVERYONE!

took my new meade 70 ext out about an hour ago and it was great. Didnt expect the views of the moon i got but wow.

Brilliant! ... Glad you're impressed! ;) You've set my juices flowing for my debut! :o ... Which unfortunately won't be tomorrow night, as we always go to the Brother In Laws on Xmas night for a few, but I will deffo be out on Saturday ... cloud cover permitting! :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

There is 1 LXD75 and at least 2 ETX70's left in the Lidl in Castleblayney in case anyone wants to pick one up, have just been in and seen them there.

Advertisement