Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's Green Whit and Orange Union Jack !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

my biggest problem with this ad is not the flag, its the east coast / dublin centric theme, encouaging people to avoid the M1 and shop in their local currys, what about people who live around the west / northwest, their local currys might be arcross the boarder and they live no way near the M1

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I couldn't give one whit about this thead. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jesus, I don't see how we should give a shìt about it. I'd imagine the Brits maybe, but it's only used to portray their "British VAT" offers.

Seesh, there's better, more real things to be offended about than this advert. Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Life's too short to force yourself to be pissed off over things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I find their prices more offensive than anything they do with a flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

as you may or most likely may not be aware the flag that utilises the design of what makes up the union flag but instead sports the irish colours has been used as a symbol of identity for the irish in britain for decades and is not anything new

if it wasnt for the irish in britain it would still be a heap of rubble:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Saw that ad a few months ago, and found it VERY offensive:mad:

So much so, that when I went shopping for a digital camera a few days later, I wouldn't buy it in Curry's, I bought it elsewhere even though the same camera would have cost me a bit less in Curry's.

F*** them, I have my principles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    We don't have ownership over those 3 colours.

Well, considering that most people refer to it incorrectly as "green, white and gold" instead of the correct "green, white and orange" - and all that that's meant to represent - I don't think there would even be an agreement on what colours we "owned".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mike65 wrote: »
    In the UK you can do as you please with the flag. In The States there have been attempts to ban flag desecration without success so far.

I'm an Amendment to be. Yes, an Amendment to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

as you may or most likely may not be aware the flag that utilises the design of what makes up the union flag but instead sports the irish colours has been used as a symbol of identity for the irish in britain for decades and is not anything new

Where in England did you see it? I grew up there (lived there aged 4 - 19), and I never ever saw it before, or even heard of it. Can't imagine it going down too well in the local Irish Centre.

Agree with ya on the 'Irish built Britain' thing though;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I can see why some British people might be offended at the sight of a defaced Union flag (Green White & Orange), but I cant for the life of me see why anybody down here should take offence at a 'defaced' British Union flag!

The advert makes perfect sense, UK VAT Rate of 15% on all Curry's products in the Republic which usually carry 21% VAT :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Did anyone see the VAT advertisement for Curry's.

It a green white and orange union jack in the papers and on billboards.

I dont know how anybody thought this would be a good marketing ploy.

I for one think its offensive to the republic and at least poor taste.

Brits left a while a go buddy, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

OP is a disgrace to the good Lebowski name tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It a green white and orange union jack in the papers and on billboards.

I dont know how anybody thought this would be a good marketing ploy.

I for one think its offensive to the republic and at least poor taste.
    Indeed it is. I burst into tears as I took my oath of allegiance to the tricolour this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dudess wrote: »
    Indeed it is. I burst into tears as I took my oath of allegiance to the tricolour this morning.

You should really change your username to Little Miss Sarcy!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Didn't find it offensive, but thought it was a shite ad. Wouldn't make me head to Currys for Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

seagull wrote: »
    No. It's a union FLAG. It's only a union JACK if it's flown from a ship.

Someone has been watching QI! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I asked the people of britain if they are offended by the "Desecration" of the British Flag by Irish marketing persons and had the following responses.

12% said "Is Ireland not part of Britain"
    22% said "Bastards, first Jedward, now this"
    26% said "Allahu Akbar"
    40% said "Meh"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think the bigger problem is that they don't have a clue about what they're selling.

I went in and asked which cameras they had, that were good at taking photos in low light conditions. (To buy online later. They're rip off merchants)

And the guy tried to sell me one, saying that it had a "very bright lens".
    Even after I asked him, how a clear lens could be bright he insisted that most lenses were "light grey, not white".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why did they change their name from Dixons anyway? i don't know why, but the name "Dixon's" sounds like a place you could trust buying electronics from, which "Currys" doesnt. Maybe it's the hard vowels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hate this thread. I just lost 5 minutes of my life that could have been spent **** or burning a union jack or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Am U2 did this at the brits last year. Had a union jack on the screen behind them and it changed to green White orange and then turned into the tricolour! Currys are only copying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The *wolfe tones have been selling the tshirt at gigs for years. TBH i see it more as offensive to the british.

* I wouldnt be seen dead at a wolfetones gig, fukn banjo plucking rabble rousers

Advertisement