Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pile ups on the link, how many are we at now

Options
  • 01-12-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I heard today that there was yet another pile up on the n25 coming out of the tunnel. Is it just me or does this happen every fortnight ? When will these people learn that flying along 2 inches behind somebody in the fast line while on the phone isnt the brightest of ideas.

A guy from Germany told me he got stopped once there by the police and banned for driving for a few months for constantly tailgating a vehicle. I think we need this in Ireland.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

seclachi wrote: »
    I heard today that there was yet another pile up on the n25 coming out of the tunnel. Is it just me or does this happen every fortnight ? When will these people learn that flying along 2 inches behind somebody in the fast line while on the phone isnt the brightest of ideas.

A guy from Germany told me he got stopped once there by the police and banned for driving for a few months for constantly tailgating a vehicle. I think we need this in Ireland.

Unfortunately because dual carriageways/motorways are relatively new to Ireland, Irish people haven't a clue how to drive on them: like you always see some dude crawling along at 70km/h in the overtaking lane and simply refusing to move over for other drivers forcing others to go around him in the driving lane. Another beaut is those who refuse to move out to allow people to merge at junctions. All these things cause accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was on that the other day and some old slag in a jeep literally stopped dead in the fast lane because they wanted to switch lanes, rather than just waiting for a gap and doing it while moving, wasn't tailgating but still had to slam on the brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Eh that accident your refering to happened on the M8 Southbound just past watergrasshill and the cause was severe black Ice...

Just to let ye know, so tailgating wasnt the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Unfortunately because dual carriageways/motorways are relatively new to Ireland, Irish people haven't a clue how to drive on them: like you always see some dude crawling along at 70km/h in the overtaking lane and simply refusing to move over for other drivers forcing others to go around him in the driving lane. Another beaut is those who refuse to move out to allow people to merge at junctions. All these things cause accidents.

True, the standard of driving here is shocking. Rights of way, red lights, lane discipline, braking distances, pedestrian crossings, all seem to be optional here. Don't get me started on the free for all that are roundabouts.

What really burns my balls is the number of f***wits that drive around with their front foglights on all the time. I even saw a police traffic car doin this last week ffs. If yr car is so sh*t that you think foglights enhance the look, you're just advertising you have a sh*t car and/or yr advertising that yr so shallow/inconsiderate/retarded that this kinda thing matters, maybe cause you have a tiny penis and yr brains in it.

Almost as bad are the f***tards who sit on their brake lights when stopped, or the dumbasses who think they have right of way when filtering onto a main road/motorway.

Its enough to make you weep.

Rant over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hogzy wrote: »
    Eh that accident your refering to happened on the M8 Southbound just past watergrasshill and the cause was severe black Ice...

The cause was bad driving, not "black ice" (which appears to be the only type in ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

namloc1980 wrote: »

Not sure how right that is, I am in my 30's and pretty much always remeber dual carriage ways - nothing that new to me or most people in Cork. I think 20 odd years should be long enough for any dope to get the hang of dual carriageways.

I am not even sure if a lot of the dopes on the roads don't know what they are supposed to do, I think most do know the correct way to drive on double/triple lane roads - they just don't. Either lazziness, ignorance are sheer bloddy mindiness. Came accross a cracker this morning driving from the tunnel towards Rochestown - man driving 1997 Fiesta at 50 miles per hour in the overtaking lane refusing to move to the left. Turned out that over 20 cars just undertook him. Amazing to see really. Very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

motorway driving / correct use of dual carriadgeways is not part of the driving test, so why expect people to know?

its the same in dublin with prople crashing into the luas, they dont know the signals for the trams.

the driving test is to easy in this country, very little driving is required and a huge amount of the drivers on the road have never done a driving test, and then these people have taught their kids to drive.

its the same in dublin with prople crashing into the luas, they dont know the signals for the trams.

Those Luas traffic lights are pointed towards the direction of the luas so motor traffic cant see them,

Im sure the only way the luas can hit a car is if the luas/car runs a red light or if a car stops on a yellow box junction and the luas doesnt see it, both of the above are thought in the theory test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think myself that tractors and other slow-moving vehicles should be prohibited from driving on the N25 South Ring Road at all times, but particularly at peak times. They are unquestionably a hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Furet wrote: »
    I think myself that tractors and other slow-moving vehicles should be prohibited from driving on the N25 South Ring Road at all times, but particularly at peak times. They are unquestionably a hazard.

Could not aggree more, I can't count the amount of times I have seen near crashes because of Tractors on the link, specifically on the Cork to Carrigtwohill road - which is a 120kph road!!

A lot of these Tractors are builder contracters too, moving plant machinery around - this IMO should be stopped at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Max001 wrote: »
    True, the standard of driving here is shocking. Rights of way, red lights, lane discipline, braking distances, pedestrian crossings, all seem to be optional here. Don't get me started on the free for all that are roundabouts.

What really burns my balls is the number of f***wits that drive around with their front foglights on all the time. I even saw a police traffic car doin this last week ffs. If yr car is so sh*t that you think foglights enhance the look, you're just advertising you have a sh*t car and/or yr advertising that yr so shallow/inconsiderate/retarded that this kinda thing matters, maybe cause you have a tiny penis and yr brains in it.

Almost as bad are the f***tards who sit on their brake lights when stopped, or the dumbasses who think they have right of way when filtering onto a main road/motorway.

Rant over ;)

maybe they have automatic lights fella? ever think of that?

if its a dim morning, they will come on

BArra wrote: »
    maybe they have automatic lights fella? ever think of that?

if its a dim morning, they will come on

Automatic foglights???? Which car maker fits those?
    If they were automatic, wouldn't they 'automatically'
    switch off again? Ever think of that?
    Either way, doesn't excuse drivers from not having the
    correct lights on, for the conditions. In fact, its illegal.
    (see Road Traffic Act)

Its thoughtless, lazy and unsafe.....oh hang on a mo,
    that sums up driving here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

If it was as described to me, a 7 car pile up, then it was still tail gating, your supposed to adjust your distance between you and the car infront according to your speed AND weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Almost as bad are the f***tards who sit on their brake lights when stopped

What if they are driving an auto transmission car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Automatic foglights???? Which car maker fits those?
    If they were automatic, wouldn't they 'automatically'
    switch off again? Ever think of that?
    Either way, doesn't excuse drivers from not having the
    correct lights on, for the conditions. In fact, its illegal.
    (see Road Traffic Act)

Its thoughtless, lazy and unsafe.....oh hang on a mo,
    that sums up driving here! :D

yes when it brightens up, or the mist or fog lifts they would

please use your noggin here, or else start looking to upgrade your 1995 fiesta for something more modern

your rant is fair enough but spouting a load of incoherent ramblings about small penis's et al is nausiating, you sound like a right loony :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Everyday I hear groups of sirens going through the city in the morings and it just highlights to me the amount of accidents that must happen...tis quite scary

((I go to school ontop patricks hill incase your wondering))

BArra wrote: »
    yes when it brightens up, or the mist or fog lifts they would

please use your noggin here, or else start looking to upgrade your 1995 fiesta for something more modern

your rant is fair enough but spouting a load of incoherent ramblings about small penis's et al is nausiating, you sound like a right loony :eek:

I drive a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee AND I can spell! (nauseating) There's absolutely no call for that sort of personal abuse.

cork45 wrote: »
    What if they are driving an auto transmission car?

My Jeep is an auto. Whats your point? If driving an auto in this country necessitates you to sit on your brakes when stopped, then either 90% of drivers may be driving autos or 90% may be lazy and ill mannered drivers....mmmmm....I wonder which? :cool:

My Jeep is an auto. Whats your point? If driving an auto in this country necessitates you to sit on your brakes when stopped, then either 90% of drivers may be driving autos or 90% may be lazy and ill mannered drivers....mmmmm....I wonder which? :cool:

When you pull up to the lights do you not put your foot on the brakes and keep it there until the lights change?

cork45 wrote: »
    When you pull up to the lights do you not put your foot on the brakes and keep it there until the lights change?

Fair point.....answer is no. I read somewhere keeping an auto in drive often when stationary isn't good for the gearbox or other components. May or may not be true, but given the price of Jeep parts, I ain't risking it :)

With an auto, its no more difficult to put it in neutral and put the handbrake on, which I do on a slope if theres a vehicle behind me. On a flat surface, I just sit in neutral.

• Advertisement

Fair point.....answer is no. I read somewhere keeping an auto in drive often when stationary isn't good for the gearbox or other components. May or may not be true, but given the price of Jeep parts, I ain't risking it :)

With an auto, its no more difficult to put it in neutral and put the handbrake on, which I do on a slope if theres a vehicle behind me. On a flat surface, I just sit in neutral.

I think your right about keeping it in drive when stationary but I believe your supposed to put it in to park instead of neutral with the handbrake on.

Firstly you use these words...

And then you get offended when someone suggests you may have a 1995 fiesta and calls you a "right loony".
    IThere's absolutely no call for that sort of personal abuse.

You need to rethink your rants a little more me thinks. :rolleyes:

Firstly you use these words...

And then you get offended when someone suggests you may have a 1995 fiesta and calls you a "right loony".

You need to rethink your rants a little more me thinks. :rolleyes:

Please check your facts before judging others. The comment from the person you referred to was 'fair enough' on the substantive points I made and that person then went on to make derogatory personal remarks directed at me, based only on his/her own unfounded assumptions. Did I use the word 'offended'? I did not. I merely said there was no justification for personal abuse, which there isn't. Nor is there any justification for misquoting another.
    Sure I used vivid imagery and I make no apologies, because despite driving a large 4x4 with lights on, inevitably most days I drive around Cork, I'm either subject to dangerous driving or a near miss or witness same.

Please check your facts before judging others

Where in my post above do you perceive me judging you? However from your choice of language its quite evident what type of person you are.
    Sure I used vivid imagery and I make no apologies

Dont think the words f*cktards, F*ckwits can be classed as vivid imagery.

I always use my brakes when im stopped at traffic lights, its not against the law to do so and i passed my driving test doing it. So you generalising people who do this by calling them F*cktards is abuse to all who drive in such a manor and IMO is a bit childish.

Using such derogatory comments to describe peoples bad driving is not winning you any friends on this forum and tbh your choice of words to describe bad drivers only reflects your limited vocabulary. Your clearly intending to cause offense. Why use such words?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Rant over ;)
    What burns my balls is the kind of people like you

Actions speak louder than words. Just because something isn't illegal, doesn't make it right. Plainly you think its okay, an exercise in fabulous driving skills even, to give eye strain to drivers behind you at traffic lights. Your arrogance, lack of basic courtesy and disregard for other drivers around you is compounded by your obvious pride in these objectionable traits. I see that my choice of words hurt you, for they were not directed at you, unless you drive as I described and if you do, then how much more damaging are your actions, than my mere words. You bore me now - the end.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    What burns my balls is the kind of people like you

:rolleyes: This is my 'interested' face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Actions speak louder than words. Just because something isn't illegal, doesn't make it right. Plainly you think its okay, an exercise in fabulous driving skills even, to give eye strain to drivers behind you at traffic lights. Your arrogance, lack of basic courtesy and disregard for other drivers around you is compounded by your obvious pride in these objectionable traits. I see that my choice of words hurt you, for they were not directed at you, unless you drive as I described and if you do, then how much more damaging are your actions, than my mere words. You bore me now - the end.
    Are you for real. Eye strain to the drivers behind you? - my god brake lights are bright but not that bright plus a lot of the time the driver behind you is so far up your **** that they cannot see the lights.

I myself don't keep my leg on the brake pedal and utilize the handbrake but I don't have a hatred of other drivers that do.

And I'll add I am ultra considerate towards other drivers and do my best not to do anything that impairs their driving or makes it uncomfortable in anyway.

And just because something is not illegal does not make it wrong and give you the excuse to call the f-tards and whatnot.the fact that the majority of drivers out their use their brakes when stopped would suggest to me that its acceptable to do so.
    If brake lights are straining your eyes god forbid what oncoming traffic with their dips are doing to you... , if so many people found themselves dazzled by break lights then im sure they would stop, and to be honest Max001 you are the only person iv ever come across with this problem so frankly i think it is you you needs to change and accept the fact.

I also think your argument is laughable, your a person driving a 4x4 giving out about how others dazzle you, have you ever driven an actual car and had a 4x4 behind you at traffic lights, if your so concerned about your "courtesy" to other drivers then i suggest you turn your headlights off while stopped. Its very dazzling to others.
    I however can get over it because while im stopped im not concentrated on anything but the traffic light, when i get moving again thats when the concentration begins and usually the brake lights have come off but the stupid 4x4 behind me still has their lights on...

Buddy i honestly think you need to calm down, people do sh|t things while driving, we have to live with it, i consider myself a very courteous driver but i think your getting stressed out about something too miniscule. Why do you car so much about being "dazzled" when you are stopped.

I have one word for you...

RELAX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

murphym7 wrote: »
    Could not aggree more, I can't count the amount of times I have seen near crashes because of Tractors on the link, specifically on the Cork to Carrigtwohill road - which is a 120kph road!!

A lot of these Tractors are builder contracters too, moving plant machinery around - this IMO should be stopped at least.

so because these vehicles are not going fast enough for your liking they should be put out of work......

they are not the problem on the roads, its the people who do not know how to drive properly around them

people who cant change lanes properly, people staying in the outside lane, and then the bigger idiots who undertake
    people who dont allow cars change lanes or merge at junctions.

you cant expect a tractor to do 120km, and you cant expect them not to use the roads.

Advertisement