Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hozelock 25 meter hoze reel kits reduced from 46 euro down to 25 euro.

B&Q Airside,Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Bit early i know but has anybody seen any spring bulbs to buy in bulk. A good variety of daffodil bulb would be nice. Lidl in uk have 5kg on sale at 5pounds but dont see any in Ireland. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Bit early i know but has anybody seen any spring bulbs to buy in bulk. A good variety of daffodil bulb would be nice. Lidl in uk have 5kg on sale at 5pounds but dont see any in Ireland. Thanks

Lidl generally have these in September every year in Ireland so just keep an eye on their upcoming offers over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

Lidl in Clonee have them for 9.99. Woodies have them 5kg for 9.99 as well as all your other bulbs

5kg bags of them now on sale in Homebase,Woodies and B&Q...about 30-35 bulbs per net bag.

Price ranges from 7 euro to 10 euro...depending on where you shop.

Also packets of Tulips,Crocuss Muscari,and Snowdrops.

You will also get spring/summer bulb packs in Dealz for 1 euro 50 cents at the moment.

I tried a few packets last year and they all came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

They have a lot of plants reduced half price.
    I've always found them good quality but expensive, now these prices are good.
    All mainly on 3 tables round the back.
    Good few of all them

Prices below are after the discount
    Kniphofia €4
    Aqilegia nora barlow €3.50
    Rudbeckia Goldstrum €4
    Delphs (various) €3.50
    Campanula €3.50
    Hosta €4 -7
    Penstenon 3.50
    Iris €3
    Bergenia €4

many more similar prices like geraniums, asters, poppys, globe thistles, etc etc

Also had a good range of grow bags, climbing bags, trays, covers cloches etc etc

I spent a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

They have a lot of plants reduced half price.
    I've always found them good quality but expensive, now these prices are good.
    All mainly on 3 tables round the back.
    Good few of all them

Prices below are after the discount
    Kniphofia €4
    Aqilegia nora barlow €3.50
    Rudbeckia Goldstrum €4
    Delphs (various) €3.50
    Campanula €3.50
    Hosta €4 -7
    Penstenon 3.50
    Iris €3
    Bergenia €4

many more similar prices like geraniums, asters, poppys, globe thistles, etc etc

Also had a good range of grow bags, climbing bags, trays, covers cloches etc etc

I spent a fortune!

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Plantagen Dunboyne as in the title ;)

I picked up some nice White Anenome plants in Howth Garden Centre today for 7 euro.

Couldnt find them in white anywhere else.

Just about to flower,so Im well happy with that.

They grow to about 1 meter in height.I have some in full flower in the garden,but wanted to add some more,as I really love them.The bees love them too.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    I picked up some nice White Anenome plants in Howth Garden Centre today for 7 euro.

Couldnt find them in white anywhere else.

Just about to flower,so Im well happy with that.

They grow to about 1 meter in height.I have some in full flower in the garden,but wanted to add some more,as I really love them.The bees love them too.:)

Hey Paddy, went to the butterfly place in straffen today, worth a visit, but takes about an hour, nice planting and pond in the main tropical place

• Advertisement

Hey Paddy, went to the butterfly place in straffen today, worth a visit, but takes about an hour, nice planting and pond in the main tropical place

Thanks for the info..:)

Must take another visit to it sometime soon.
    Will drop into it again,next time we are down at Orchard Garden Centre.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

If you bought all these bulbs, when is best time to sow them?

sterling10 wrote: »

September onwards to December.

I will be planting all my bulbs in the next week-10 days,along with some more low growing New Zealand evergreen ferns.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Should there be any deals on lawnmowers going in the coming month or so with the slow down in grass cutting? Any idea where?

Anyone ever buy from a tool hire company when they're selling them on, and what quality is to be expected?

Should there be any deals on lawnmowers going in the coming month or so with the slow down in grass cutting? Any idea where?

Anyone ever buy from a tool hire company when they're selling them on, and what quality is to be expected?

B&Q and Homebase are selling off various electric and petrol lawnmowers at the moment.

sterling10 wrote: »

Planted around 120 snowdrops this afternoon,while planting my ferns.

Just another 130 bulbs to go in tomorrow.:D

50 x 1 meter rolls of windbreak netting for 30 euro.
    Donegal Creamery and Co-Op store in Creeslough,County Donegal.

Garden Kneeler....37 cents

30 meter garden tie wire....11 cents

Tesco Clarehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i want to buy lots of ferns for around the pond. where is the best place to get them?

i want to buy lots of ferns for around the pond. where is the best place to get them?

Some nice types of evergreen and deciduous ferns I saw in the folowing places over the last week.

Tully Nurseries in Ballyboughal,County Dublin
    Howth Garden Centre in Howth Village
    Johnstown Garden Centre in Johnstown,Naas.
    Mount Venus Nursery in Rathfarnham
    Pergola Nurseries in Virginia,County Cavan

• Advertisement

Bought and planted around 130 white muscari bulbs today.

Going for a nice spread/mix of japanese anenome,snowdrops and white muscari under and around the birch tree in the garden.

You can plant your spring bulbs from now onwards till December/early January.

Go into the woods and dig them up!

i think i will actually do that.. they are free i suppose.

i think i will actually do that.. they are free i suppose.

Hope you dont go on council or private land or coilte land and take something thats not actually yours to take.:pac:

Ask yourself a question.......................would you like it if someone came onto your property/land and just dug up your plants and took them away???

Personally,I would prefer to support some local garden centres and keep them in business and keep people in a job.

fair enough but i was thinking more along the lines of along the canal or on public space. there's a woods right near my house that i walk my dogs in that hardly anyone ever goes into. paddy take a look at my post in plumbing and heating i would appreciate your advice on that one.

fair enough but i was thinking more along the lines of along the canal or on public space. there's a woods right near my house that i walk my dogs in that hardly anyone ever goes into. paddy take a look at my post in plumbing and heating i would appreciate your advice on that one.

Please dont think Im having a go at you....because Im not.:)

All I was doing and am doing is just putting the question out there for you to ask yourself.

Its your own choice if you want to go and dig up ferns from around the place.

Dont be too surprized though if a parks ranger,a warden or county council officials tell you to move on and not be taking things out of the ground though.

Ive seen it happen before in a well known park,and the old man in question who was trying to dig up the plant was very annoyed (quite humiliated Id say too) when he was caught by the wardens.

Have a look at the evergreen and deciduous fern types in the various garden centres 1st and then decide what you would like for around your pond.:)

Slightly off topic for a minute.............

WTF is this woman trying to achieve??

Apart from making absolute shyte of a nice planter in Dublin City Centre.:eek::(

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-robs-flowers-dublin-city-1047707-Aug2013/

trailing petunias. i have three baskets of them. they look lovely. you can buy them for 2 euro each scabby cow.

Westland Seed/Cutting Compost 20 litre handy bag.....
    Reduced from 4 euro 50 cents down to a mere 1 euro 24 cents each.

Tesco Clarehall......clearence section down at back of shop.

Might be of some use to some people here reading this thread.:)

• Advertisement

Oh and all Tesco stainless steel small garden hand tools reduced to 95 cents each.....(hand weeder,hand trowel,hand fork,patio weeder,hand rake)

Tesco Clarehall.

Advertisement