Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout question

Options
  • 01-12-2009 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

There's a two lane, four-way roundabout.

I am in the left hand lane coming up to it and want to travel straight through it.

I see another car enter the roundabout on the road to my right and they are signaling right i.e. they're going right the way around it and going to leave on the same exit as me, albeit using the right hand lane.

I can go, yeah?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

Due to the amount of people who either indicate right to go straight ahead, or don't indicate at all, and may have the indicator still on somehow from 3 miles back the road, you should never assume anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

No. Traffic already on the roundabout and traffic entering the roundabout from the right have right of way. http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

boo.

ok thanks.

If everyone used their indicators and didn't switch lanes while on or leaving roundabouts then we'd be ok. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I am in the left hand lane coming up to it and want to travel straight through it.

I see another car enter the roundabout on the road to my right and they are signaling right i.e. they're going right the way around it and going to leave on the same exit as me, albeit using the right hand lane.

I can go, yeah?

Technically yes because you are going to use the outer orbital lane and they are using the inner orbital lane but as I have learned from the past other drivers cannot be trusted.

Considering legally they have the right of way irrespective of how stupid they may act on the road you are better off allowing them those 2-4 seconds to go past you before you make your manouever.

Ask anybody in Limerick who merges on the Clonmacken Roundabout by the Travelodge by the Dual Carraigeway. Those coming from the Ennis road use the inner orbital lane and those accessing the roundabout for the DC from Clonmacken enter at the same time using the outer orbital lane BUT only because there are two lanes exiting the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I can go, yeah?
    In theory, yeah you should be fine provided you give way when he is crossing your lane to exit. Theory doesn't really work though. TBH, if there isn't enough room between you and them to allow for the most stupid behavior imaginable, and then some (you're not imagining hard enough), then don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

You wait till the driver commits themselfs to the turn. Never trust an indicator.

If the law was on the side of the person being sensible and trying to use the roundabout to it's full capacity then it'd force others to use their indicators and lanes correctly.

It's just so bloody inefficient to have to sit there with an empty lane in front of you and not be able to use it just in case the person in the other lane is an idiot.

I've gone when I feel comfortable that the driver coming around knows what he's doing and I've seen people ahead of me in the lane do the same -although it helps that about 90% of the traffic on the particular roundabout I'm talking about is going towards the same exit. The problem is that the majority of the traffic is coming from the entrance to the right so we're backed up waiting to get out.

Traffic lights are the obvious solution here but it just annoys me that a FREE lane can't be used in case there's an idiot in the other lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

There are rules for this.

If you're driving a festy or smaller, you don't go anywhere.
    If you're driving a truck, you wait for no one... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

If everyone used their indicators and didn't switch lanes while on or leaving roundabouts then we'd be ok. <snip>

Was in Tallaght today approaching roundabout at hospital. A Garda Traffic corp Mondeo approached from the opposite direction and went all the way around the R/A with no indicator. He went straight ahead at the next R/A, again with no left indicator when leaving, and right at the next R/A, again with no indicators.
    Shows great example to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can someone draw a diagram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

This is great! Fella in the yellow car can really drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so basically if the exit you're about to take is after the first two exits...you approach the roundabout in the righthand lane..yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

fryup wrote: »
    so basically if the exit you're about to take is after the first two exits...you approach the roundabout in the righthand lane..yes?

Try telling that to the muppets who use the left lane to take the 3rd exit (270 deg) at Pinnock Hill at Swords. They've been doing it since before the 2nd exit became a proper through road, and see no need to change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

According to the ROTR, yes. Unfortunately the ROTR seem to assume that all roundabouts have four exits, in the normal "+" layout.

Try entering in the right lane and indicating right when the third exit is at 11 o clock and see what other motorists think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Do people here find that aside from taking the incorrect lane in the first place in many instances that peoples road positions on roundabouts is very sloppy. For example its manys a time I'd be taking a third exit off a roundabout and correctly approach the roundabout on the right hand lane in the specific instance. Person in the car beside me approaches roundabout on the left hand lane intending to take second exit (I am assuming a roundabout with 4 exits/ enterances at 90 degree to one another). As roundabout is clear we both go together and more often than not person beside me cuts right into my lane mid way through for them in effect taking as straight a line through the roundabout as possible. A lot of the time they seem oblivious to the fact they are doing wrong. Sorry if my post was unnecessairly long winded but that stupidity on a constast basis really tests my patience.

Aside from this it wont surprise me too much the day I see somebody going around a roundabout in the wrong direction as I'm sure I will someday because of the many quere things people do on roundabouts. Most unbelieveable thing for me yet was seen a chap going around a roundabout looking kind of lost. I'm stopped waiting for him to pass and enter roundabout and he stops and flashes lights at me to give me right of way:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

traffic on the roundabout has right of way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I can go, yeah?

Yeah you can go...but bear in mind the guy coming at you isnt properley trained in all likelihood and may never have passed a test..(.but then again, if he hits you up the back its his fault anyway)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

@OP Imagine you're at a 4-way junction (crossroads) where you don't have the right of way (yield sign), a car is approaching from your right and signalling to turn left. Do you take a chance and pull out or wait those extra couple of seconds for them to clear the junction, thus allowing you to proceed safely?
    Remember, indicators should be used to indicate your intent to other road users but cannot be relied upon.
    If you pull out in the situation described above and get T-boned - you're at fault.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

If you are going straight ( not more than 12 o clock direction ) then stay in left lane.

• Advertisement

If you are going straight ( not more than 12 o clock direction ) then stay in left lane.

I don't recall reading that in the Rules of the Road at any stage. AFAIK and believe I am pretty correct in saying so, that one stays in the left lane for the first or second exit. For a third or subsequent exit one would assume a position in the right lane. This is of course assuming two lanes only on your entry to the round about and the absence of road signage/ markings to the contrary which would take prefence to this general rule You see more often than not peoples opinions of what is 12 o' clock is highly subjective and I am pretty certain the rule as you state it is not correct unless changes were made since I read ROTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I can go, yeah?

Simple answer: NO!

Why:
    - as has already been said, you can not trust indicators.
    - do do not know what another driver is going to do
    - in this situation, I would assume that the vehicle already on the roundabout is going to change lanes while going round (from the inermost lane to the outer lane when they exit)
    - don't assume that other people will drive the way that you want them to.

Tecnically/leaglly or according to the Rules of the road, you might be able to go, BUT in real life you are better of waiting a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

This depends on the number of exists off the roundabout. Most roundabouts have 4 lanes, in a straight forward + formation, so in this case your answer is yes, approach in the right-hand lane. The general rule is: if you are exiting from either the left, or straight ahead, take the left lane on approach. If you are exiting from the right, take the right-hand lane as you approach the roundabout, continuing to keep in the right-hand lane until you reach your penultimate exit, then move into the left lane *if it is safe to do so.*

By way of further example: there is a roundabout near me which has both a left and right-hand exits, but no straight-ahead exit. Technically the right-hand exit is exit number two, but I would always approach this indicating right; in effect it is a big fancy T-junction.

Signalling rules follow this same guideline as well:

* If taking the first exit, indicate left on approach

* If taking a right-hand exit (irrespective of what number it is) signal right on approach; then signal left on your penultimate exit. (remember: only move to the left hand land *if it is safe to do so*)

* Any other exits - i.e. any other lefts after the first, or straight-ahead - don't signal left until you reach your penultimate exit.

kazul wrote: »
    @OP Imagine you're at a 4-way junction (crossroads) where you don't have the right of way (yield sign), a car is approaching from your right and signalling to turn left. Do you take a chance and pull out or wait those extra couple of seconds for them to clear the junction, thus allowing you to proceed safely?
    Remember, indicators should be used to indicate your intent to other road users but cannot be relied upon.
    If you pull out in the situation described above and get T-boned - you're at fault.

Yeah, I would and I'd no idea that I'd be in the wrong in that situation either.
    Most people would in my experience. Would you?

Actually, thinking about it now, I only go if they're indicating AND they look to be slowing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If you live in Kanturk, you pull up at the line and wait for everyone else to go first.... I find if you drive up to our solitary roundabout nice and smartly, everyone stops for you....simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I don't recall reading that in the Rules of the Road at any stage. AFAIK and believe I am pretty correct in saying so, that one stays in the left lane for the first or second exit. For a third or subsequent exit one would assume a position in the right lane. This is of course assuming two lanes only on your entry to the round about and the absence of road signage/ markings to the contrary which would take prefence to this general rule You see more often than not peoples opinions of what is 12 o' clock is highly subjective and I am pretty certain the rule as you state it is not correct unless changes were made since I read ROTR.

That's how I learned it from my driving instructor, if the exit you're taking is before 12 o'clock, go in the left hand lane, if it's after 12, go in the right.

It's definetely the easier way I think. If there was a third exit before 12 then there would be a lot of congestion on that side of the roundabout if people used the inside lane for exit number 3. Having the inside lane for exits after 12 keeps traffic flowing, which is one of the points of a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Yeah, I would and I'd no idea that I'd be in the wrong in that situation either.
    Most people would in my experience. Would you?

Actually, thinking about it now, I only go if they're indicating AND they look to be slowing down.

Only if I'm sure that I can get across cleanly and safely. As in the driving test, you should drive in a manner that does not cause another driver to unduly change speed or direction regardless of who is "technically" right or wrong, it's one of the basics of driving.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    That's how I learned it from my driving instructor, if the exit you're taking is before 12 o'clock, go in the left hand lane, if it's after 12, go in the right.

It's definetely the easier way I think. If there was a third exit before 12 then there would be a lot of congestion on that side of the roundabout if people used the inside lane for exit number 3. Having the inside lane for exits after 12 keeps traffic flowing, which is one of the points of a roundabout.

I suppose that would depend on where the greatest volumes of traffic are leaving the roundabout really I'd be thinking? I had the same debate with a friend before and checked up the Rules of the Road at the time. I didn't see any reference being made to 12 o' clock in them in regards to roundabouts, rather first exit, second exit, third or subsequent exit. Friend was taking lessons from a Scottish driving instructor at the time so perhaps (perhaps not) Rules of the road differ in the UK in this regard. But then again if this was the case the Scottish driving intructor would want to become aware of Irish rules of the road first before giving lessons on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Do people here find that aside from taking the incorrect lane in the first place in many instances that peoples road positions on roundabouts is very sloppy. For example its manys a time I'd be taking a third exit off a roundabout and correctly approach the roundabout on the right hand lane in the specific instance. Person in the car beside me approaches roundabout on the left hand lane intending to take second exit (I am assuming a roundabout with 4 exits/ enterances at 90 degree to one another). As roundabout is clear we both go together and more often than not person beside me cuts right into my lane mid way through for them in effect taking as straight a line through the roundabout as possible. A lot of the time they seem oblivious to the fact they are doing wrong. Sorry if my post was unnecessairly long winded but that stupidity on a constast basis really tests my patience.

Aside from this it wont surprise me too much the day I see somebody going around a roundabout in the wrong direction as I'm sure I will someday because of the many quere things people do on roundabouts. Most unbelieveable thing for me yet was seen a chap going around a roundabout looking kind of lost. I'm stopped waiting for him to pass and enter roundabout and he stops and flashes lights at me to give me right of way:eek:
    I see lane crossing on roundabouts all of the time. usually women/(BMW/MERC)/(mobile talkers)/learner/old people drivers are the biggest offenders in that order especially in the morning. Often it is women who are driving (Merc/BMW) while talking on their mobile that I had near misses with and are oblivious of their driving skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

you should never assume anything.

so true, so many clowns out there, have not a notion on how a roundabout works, and I mean its hardly stephen hawking territory!

Always take your time at the roundabout, how many times I have seen folks indicate to go right in the left hand lane and cut people up wanting to go straight on will baffle me til I die, i mean two lanes where you are permitted to go straight on and folks in the left lane think they can cut acrosss!!

You just cant trust folks at roundabouts no matter what indicators they have on.

Morons!! that's all I'm saying!!

Home James, and don't spare the horses!

Advertisement