Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional licence crash

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'm surprised the moderator of 'learning to drive' would appear to be condoning an unqualified driver being in control of a car without being accompanied by a qualified driver! No wonder the standard of driving in this country is so god-awful if no one respects the law.

Agree with you 100%, shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Donjose,
    The mod didn't condone that sort of driving. Re-read his posts.
    Clearly you've posted something helpful and on topic to the op :rolleyes: Congratulations. I can see how you got such a high post count :rolleyes:

I think there should be an award for posters pointing out the obvious while trolling? Kinda like a thanks button but with 'troll' instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

DonJose wrote: »
    Agree with you 100%, shocking.

Disagree with you 100%, horrifying!

Can we discuss the OP and their crash? As far as I can tell the OP is worried that they're somehow exposed by the other party's lying and whether they're covered/protected by insurance.
    If anyone has any experience or advice, please work away.

Whether either one was unaccompanied or not is incidental imho. And if both were unaccompanied then they cancel each other out and we're back to square one... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maybe we should have a poll for opinions on learner permit holders deliberately and frequently flouting the law? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Maybe we should just have a seperate thread about it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hey All,

I am a provisional licence holder and was hit on a roundabout by another provisional licence holder. Shes with Travelers insurance and I'm with Hibernian. Anyway, the accident was clearly her fault- I have a witness who was driving behind me the whole time and saw everything. Basically I was on the outside lane taking the 2nd exit and she was on the inside lane- I indicated to come off and she merged into my lane and smacked the side of my car. She hadnt a word of English so called her brother down to translate. He initially offered to give me a whole 100 euro for the damages but changed the story when the Garda came. She said that I was never even on the roundabout and just smacked her randomely on the road! She lied to the Garda and said that her brother was in the car with her at the time but he clearly wasnt as he arrived later- (my witness verified this with the Garda)

You have a very strong case here simply because you have an independent witness something which many people dont think to seek out as soon as a collision happens.
    Anyway, I've contacted my insurance company and will be contacting hers tomorrow. Does anyone know whether her insurance company will pay out?

Yes they will. If its a case where she has no insurance then notify that Garda who attended so she can be prosecuted for no insurance. Either way you will get your money.
    If its been proven that she told bare faced lies to the Garda will be held accountable? Insurance fraud?

No she wont be held accountable. The only legal obligation she had was to give you her name, contact details and details of her car(reg no, insurance details).

Some people will lie to their hearts content but an experienced Garda will listen to each account of the collision, look at the damage and any debris/skid marks (on the road that is, not underpants) and see the reasonable and probable way it happened.
    Any other stories like this?

Plenty, from car suddenly losing control for no reason whatsoever to a cow that appeared out of nowhere, caused a collision and disappeared from where it came.

One other thing, some people here have said things about statements etc. Statements are not usually taken at material damage collisions. Instead details are taken in the Garda's notebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Sounds like a minor accident so the insurance companies will sort it out amongst themselves. Problems usually only arise when there is alleged personal injuries if this is not the case it should be settled fairly quickly. The OP should inform his insurance company asap as is the case in any accident. They will send the usual form to fill in. This should be sent back asap and does not indicate an admssion of liability and will not count as a claim or affect NCB. The question of driving unaccompanied does entitle the insurance to re-coup their losses if the driver is in breach of the conditions of insurance. The OP should read and be familiar with them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

FFS, of COURSE the OP is covered. People in Ireland have been openly flouting the law and driving on first and third provisionals for *decades* and they've always been covered by their insurance. Insurance companies are as much to blame as the people who've been breaking the law, for it is they who provide insurance to people who declare they do not have a driving licence.

OP, you are covered by your insurance, you have a witness, the other driver lied in her statement - stop worrying.

Advertisement