Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a pass in UL exams?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭

What percentage is a pass in UL exams or does it vary from course/module?

I'm first year BBS if anyone can help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

This is what my Pub Admin lecturer gave us:

Letter grade % equivalent
    A1 75+ 1, first class honours
    A2 70-74 1
    B1 65-69 2.1, second class honours, grade 1
    B2 60-64 2.1
    B3 55-59 2.2, second class honours, grade 2
    C1 50-54 2.2
    C2 45-49 Pass
    C3 40-44 Pass
    D1 35-39 Compensation fail
    D2 30-34 Compensation fail
    F <30 Non-compensation fail

I think it's anything 44% or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Correct me if i'm wrong (It's been a while since i was a full time student)

Anything above 40% is a generally a pass. If you get a D (30-39%) and you're QCA is above 2.0 then you get a Compensatory Fail which means you don't have to repeat the module.

From what i remember each department has its own standard grading scheme but i don't think these don't generally vary too much from the above

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Slightly offtopic but eh, if you fail Academic Literacies what happens? Do you have to repeat the module again next semester or next year or do you actually fail the year if you fail it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

If the module (Academic Literacies) is a standard one, which I think it is, then there will be a repeat mechanism. Check your module outline for clarification on the form that the repeat will take. Usually it is a 100% exam that takes place in the repeat period in August.

If the module is non-repeatable, then it will have to be done on a link-in basis, this time next year. Link-in means that you repeat that module on it's own next year and then go into second year in 2011.

If the module (Academic Literacies) is a standard one, which I think it is, then there will be a repeat mechanism. Check your module outline for clarification on the form that the repeat will take. Usually it is a 100% exam that takes place in the repeat period in August.

If the module is non-repeatable, then it will have to be done on a link-in basis, this time next year. Link-in means that you repeat that module on it's own next year and then go into second year in 2011.

Ok, I had a look at the syllabus for Academic Literacies and it states for repeats:
    "Repeats
    Students will be required to complete a research project on a topic appropriate to their discipline (2,000 words) and a reflective paper (1,000 words) on the research and writing processes employed. Students will be required to demonstrate the ability to apply the research and writing skills developed in this module. Topics will be agreed in advance with the lecturer. Students will be required to submit an electronic and a hard copy."

So basically this means if I fail this module I just do a new research project and my grade is 100% based on that? or is it based on what I got originally and the new paper?

• Advertisement

Treetirty wrote: »
    Ok, I had a look at the syllabus for Academic Literacies and it states for repeats:
    "Repeats
    Students will be required to complete a research project on a topic appropriate to their discipline (2,000 words) and a reflective paper (1,000 words) on the research and writing processes employed. Students will be required to demonstrate the ability to apply the research and writing skills developed in this module. Topics will be agreed in advance with the lecturer. Students will be required to submit an electronic and a hard copy."

So basically this means if I fail this module I just do a new research project and my grade is 100% based on that? or is it based on what I got originally and the new paper?

I don't know specifically about AL, but I'm fairly sure that repeats in all other subjects are capped at a C3 regardless of how you do, unless you are repeating due to an illness or bereavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

the grading method should be laid out in the course outline at the start of the year
    but generally 40% is a pass rising to 55% in some subjects such as mechanics 1 for first year engineers

If its a project only module there usually isn't a repeat exam.

Niamh_ wrote: »
    I don't know specifically about AL, but I'm fairly sure that repeats in all other subjects are capped at a C3 regardless of how you do, unless you are repeating due to an illness or bereavement.

Ah right, that makes sense really, but I'm going to fail AL so I thought I was screwed but now I'm not really sure, I think I can just do this project at the end of the year and if I do well pass the module but I'm still not 100%

Treetirty wrote: »
    Ah right, that makes sense really, but I'm going to fail AL so I thought I was screwed but now I'm not really sure, I think I can just do this project at the end of the year and if I do well pass the module but I'm still not 100%

From what I hear, if you do fail you won't be the only one. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't despise it. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FootnMouth

What percentage is a pass in UL exams or does it vary from course/module?

I'm first year BBS if anyone can help
    According to the lecturers an overall pass is 48% but regardless of what you have covered already in the forms of your Case Study in Accounting or the Aplia exams in Economics, from my understanding it, that you need the 48% to pass properly, but how to achieve that can be a mixture of your previous assignments such as the Group Work in Communications Tutorials and the final exam, however you would want to aim to pass the written paper of all exams also!!
    (if you want more and exact detail I can find out for you, let me know! I'm trying to figure out the whole business grading system also atm! :D)

Niamh_ wrote: »

What Niamh said is correct. Once a module is failed then the repeat is capped at C3, so irrepsective of whether you get an A1 or a C3, the grade will still be registered as a C3. However if you gets lower i.e. a D1/2 then that grade will stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

in first year do we need to just pass every test singly or do we have to get a qca out of the 5 modules?!any help would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Does anyone know what grade u need to pass modules cs4001 ch4701 and by4001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

There is no QCA in 1st year. You can fail up to about 3 modules per semester and do repeats.

However for first year, i'd recommend passing everything nicely, makes thing a lot easier in the long term.
    Especially when it comes to Co-Op, as they will look at 1st year results.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Feyy wrote: »
    There is no QCA in 1st year. You can fail up to about 3 modules per semester and do repeats.

However you can only do a max of 4 repeats per year... so essentially your maxed out at 4 fails a year!!

However.... while QCA doesn't count, you results really do ie. as in the case of Co-Op aforementioned above.

in first year do we need to just pass every test singly or do we have to get a qca out of the 5 modules?!any help would be appreciated

You need to get an overall QCA of 2.0 to pass the year, without any non-compensatory fails e.g. no Fs, NGs, etc. Certain (but few) modules are non-repeatable, so you must pass them in order to progress to the next year too.

Feyy wrote: »

However for first year, i'd recommend passing everything nicely, makes thing a lot easier in the long term.
    Especially when it comes to Co-Op, as they will look at 1st year results.

There is QCA in first year, it is just wiped blank at the start of second year. It must be above 2.0 in order for a student to pass the year. Also, you can fail a maximum of 2 modules each semester, not three and do repeats. Like DJCR said, you can fail a maximum of 4 per year, so that can be 4 in one semester and none in the next, three in one and one in the other or two and two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

There is QCA in first year, it is just wiped blank at the start of second year. It must be above 2.0 in order for a student to pass the year. Also, you can fail a maximum of 2 modules each semester, not three and do repeats. Like DJCR said, you can fail a maximum of 4 per year, so that can be 4 in one semester and none in the next, three in one and one in the other or two and two.

Question for ya!

Which is it?

Can you fail a maximum of 2 modules a semester as you suggested in bold?

Or

Can you fail a maximum of 4 modules a semester, as long as you dont exceed failing 4 over the course of an academic year?

Really need to be clear on this.....

you can fail a maximum of 2 modules in the first semester
    http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/201553623.pdf (page 35)

• Advertisement

Mossin wrote: »
    Question for ya!

Which is it?

Can you fail a maximum of 2 modules a semester as you suggested in bold?

Or

Can you fail a maximum of 4 modules a semester, as long as you dont exceed failing 4 over the course of an academic year?

Really need to be clear on this.....

From SAA:

Hi Aoife,

If the student was here for both semesters then a max of 4 can be repeated. If they were out on co-op they can only do 2. I grades are not counted in the maximum permissible number of modules that a student is allowed to repeat . And all modules other than I grades are capped at a C3. Also keep note of the non repeatable modules list.

Thanks,
    Marianne.

As far as I was aware and in so much as I said in the last post, it is any combination allowed by Academic Council i.e. three repeats from one semester and one from the other in the other was fine. However I've emailed SAA for an absolute clarification as I don't want to give out wrong information.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Like DJCR said, you can fail a maximum of 4 per year, so that can be 4 in one semester and none in the next, three in one and one in the other or two and two.

All this and we were both right the first time!!!!

Anyone else want to be wrong??? :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cindyella

Does anybody know if you can get a compensating fail in 4th year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Anyone know what % a c3 is in ma4103 business maths 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

40% is usually a C3 in most modules it is for MA4603 Science Math 3

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

cindyella wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you can get a compensating fail in 4th year?

Yea, u can get a compensating fail in 4th (D1, D2), and presuming your QCA is above 2 without having to repeating it, you won't even be given the choice of repeating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alright_dave

Do you have to pass the actual written exam in every module?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

No. If you get 40% from your continuous assessment, you don't even need to go into the exam. (NOT recommended, but possible in theory!)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

It depends on the module. Certain lecturers will specify on the course outline at the start of the year, that all parts of module must be passed, or that final exam must be passed.
    If they don't tell you that during the year you can presume you just have to get 40% altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

When are the results out anyway? For some strange reason I thought it was today.

Advertisement