Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icey icey icey

Options
  • 30-11-2009 2:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any problems this morning with the ice? loads of bikes dropped around Dublin this morning apparently. I hit a patch of ice and went round a corner sideways :eek: managed to keep it upright though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

I took one look outside this morning.
    Then put the bike keys away, picked up the car keys and had a lovely warm drive to work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, On the way into Lusk from Skerries got sent down some bog arse country roads because of a 4 car collision on the main road. A bit down the road/lane I got stuck behind a pick up towing a boat. Said **** it and went to overtake.

Ended up going past the guy with my back wheel level with my front wheel and a pair of steaming pants from the morning turd that had decided to come out early. Guided by what I can only describe as heart stopping fear.

Think I'll be paying more attention to the road surface from now on. Saw a guy on a Blade go down bad at Blakes cross and at least two minor collisions between cars down there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah, On the way into Lusk from Skerries got sent down some bog arse country roads because of a 4 car collision on the main road. A bit down the road/lane I got stuck behind a pick up towing a boat. Said **** it and went to overtake.

Ended up going past the guy with my back wheel level with my front wheel and a pair of steaming pants from the morning turd that had decided to come out early. Guided by what I can only describe as heart stopping fear.

Think I'll be paying more attention to the road surface from now on. Saw a guy on a Blade go down bad at Blakes cross and at least two minor collisions between cars down there as well.

Fookin hell dude, your heart must of been in your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

goodlad wrote: »
    Then put the bike keys away, picked up the car keys and had a lovely warm drive to work :p

Good lad

<<

>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

dangerous conditions for two wheels this morning... had a big slide pulling out onto the Stillorgan road at Mount Merrion this morning.

watch out this evening - I'd say it's likely to freeze up again as soon as the sun goes down..

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Well the train from balbriggan was lovely n' snugg this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Took one look out after hearing the weather and accident reports and said, that'll do nicely and played playstation till 10:30 before a leisurely 15 minute commute.

Better go home early to avoid any early frosts.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I rode from Louth to Tallaght this morning left a bit later around 08.00, roads where ok no problems really. I kept a close eye on the verges where there was some ice, but the roads were good. It was minus 1 when I was leaving I have a minus 2 rule.

If it goes below that its back to bed for me. Unfortunately this is only the start of it; give me the wind and rain anyday compared to frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Fish tailed this morning a couple of times coming into park west.. luckily my awesomeness protected me and I kept the bike up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fookin hell dude, your heart must of been in your mouth.

Doubtful, it would have stopped the screaming then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

hobochris wrote: »
    Fish tailed this morning a couple of times coming into park west.. luckily my awesomeness protected me and I kept the bike up. :D

Lol!

yeah woke up at 8:55 for a 9am start so had no option but to take the bike out. Went down the M50 and took it reasonably handly but I think the morning peak must have melted any ice (if that is actually possible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nobody on the road in front of me last night so wound her on a bit, travelling burnout FTW lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Had no problem with ice, but my engine cut out, a few times while i was riding, when ever i pulled in the clutch it would just die, had to start it while still filtering :(
    Maybe i didn't leave the choke on long enough or something, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Made it to work and back OK.

Stayed on the 'main' roads, and there was no ice. :)

If I find the person who stole my car... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

as someone else mentioned, the M50 at 9am this morning was ok.

however, my estate in lucan has started to freeze already and it was a bit ropey. I'd say the morning is going to be brutal. have to be in town for 9.30 so that should give the roads some sort of chance to thaw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Glad I went in the cage this Morning been a newby id say i would have been on my head a few mins down the road :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

That's what I did too! We bought a car 2 weeks ago for exactly that weather! :D

Be careful out there lads!!!

Awesomeness FTW! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Grand this morning, not a bit of ice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

thankfully on a well travelled route to work, so the cages tend to sort the roads for me for my commute

few worrysome texts from the gf though - she works in a hospital, and yea, been rough with the RTA's last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Not bad in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Xios wrote: »
    Had no problem with ice, but my engine cut out, a few times while i was riding, when ever i pulled in the clutch it would just die, had to start it while still filtering :(
    Maybe i didn't leave the choke on long enough or something, any thoughts?

Was this when the revs dropped below a certain level? It happen to me on the KLE last year during a cold spell. Seemed to come and go, I when I brought it to the shop after cutting out on my right outside it ticked over for 20 mins no probs:mad:

Anyway initially they thought it was this carb freezing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_heat

Here is were I show my lack of severe knowledge it turned it that it was the "yokes" that slide through the carb. I had never heard of carb freezing/icing before but it appears to be common enough.

Carb icing is a b!atch! My old Bandit used to suffer from it severely! Got carb heaters installed and hey presto, problem solved!

Vest solution is to get an injection bike though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Seen the ice.

Decided to walk.

Slipped on the ice and sprained by wrist.

I'm moving to a warmer country.

Carb icing is a b!atch! My old Bandit used to suffer from it severely! Got carb heaters installed and hey presto, problem solved!

Vest solution is to get an injection bike though! ;)

My bandit sleeps in an underground car park so no carb icing issues for me(yet).

My bandit sleeps in an underground car park so no carb icing issues for me(yet).

happens while on the move afaik!

Wossack wrote: »
    happens while on the move afaik!
    Indeed, Wossack is correct. Even if you had your bike in a heated garage you will suffer from carb icing if you ride in the cold long enough... It used to do my head in!!! :mad:

Indeed, Wossack is correct. Even if you had your bike in a heated garage you will suffer from carb icing if you ride in the cold long enough... It used to do my head in!!! :mad:

That I didn't know...

I thought it was build up from being left in the cold.

what are the symptoms of carb icing? Ive probably experienced it and not known..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

raaaaannnnnnngggg!

• Advertisement

That I didn't know...

I thought it was build up from being left in the cold.

what are the symptoms of carb icing? Ive probably experienced it and not known..

loss of power, eventually leading to a stall, as the air inlet ices up afaik..!

you'll pull in, look around the bike for a while scratching your head, and couple of mins later bike'll start/idle no bother (ice having melted from hot engine)

Advertisement