Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware, iPod zombie cyclists are on the rise

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

brilliant I'm getting visions of stopping blindfolded at traffic lights; cyclists licking each other at the canal; smelling their way to the sea; feeling their way between cars.

I hear ya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

TimAllen wrote: »
    Some posters here require scientific artilcles and studies

I've been looking but cannot yet find any studies which argue one way or the other.
    Did find this though :D:D:D

http://www.allenandallen.com/quick-tips-bicycle-safety.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

poochiem wrote: »
    brilliant I'm getting visions of stopping blindfolded at traffic lights; cyclists licking each other at the canal; smelling their way to the sea; feeling their way between cars.

I hear ya.
    If those visions persist I think you should consult your doctor, you need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Thats a lazy and silly reply. Why not post something credible?

It may be lazy but that's because you didn't make it much of a challenge. You are a hypocrite - you insist that one set of road users do everything they can to increase their auditory cues yet you don't see the need for another group to do the same.

RobFowl wrote: »
    I've been looking but cannot yet find any studies which argue one way or the other.
    Did find this though :D:D:D

http://www.allenandallen.com/quick-tips-bicycle-safety.html

Fair play to you Rob. You should have read the webpage that you linked to:
    "In Virginia, bicyclists are not permitted to wear earphones in both ears while riding a bicycle."
    Epic Fail Rob :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

all your senses are related, lets not turn this into a biology lesson! Your perception of your environment is informed by all 5 senses.
    There are more than 5 senses: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-many-human-senses-are-there.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Don't forget spider sense!

Someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I remember mentioning this about a year ago - but where do taste and touch enter the equation? Or smell for that matter?

One day I got stuck behind the bin lorry, sense of smell was not needed there.
    The smell of victory after the latest commuter race. And the smell of loser off the other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Perhaps it would allow me to 'brace before impact"?

It might give you about 2 seconds extra to get onto a ditch before a car is up your ass...

Using a MP3 player on a bike is madness...cyclists are always complaining about the dangers of roads and yet they take stupid risks like above..
    Especially in cities..you really need your wits about you on your bike..

concussion wrote: »
    It may be lazy but that's because you didn't make it much of a challenge. You are a hypocrite - you insist that one set of road users do everything they can to increase their auditory cues yet you don't see the need for another group to do the same.
    Not much of a challenge - look at the amount of posters arguing with me and the number of views this thread got. I have exercised the entire forum - at least be honest when you are trying to put me down!
    I am not a hypocrite - I didnt state an opinion on any other roaduser - so you are either making an incorrect assumption or deliberately libelling me. Trying to make the debate about other road users is deflective and desperate

• Advertisement

I don't think I can libel you if I don't know who you are.

another lazy reply. Wow, making a habit of this! - I presume you agree with the rest of my post?
    Oh and by the way, my name's Tim - your's is concussion, right? or are you just suffering from concussion?

OK, I'll retract my awful allegation if you answer this question -

Do you believe that if it were made illegal for cyclists to wear headphones in order to increase auditory cues it would be hypocritical not to apply the same rationale to MPV drivers? After all, more drivers are killed every year than cyclists - if there is a way to increase their safety it should be implemented.

Don't bother deflecting by saying it's off topic etc, I believe it's quite relevant to your input in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

got him

OK, I'll retract my awful allegation if you answer this question -

Do you believe that if it were made illegal for cyclists to wear headphones in order to increase auditory cues it would be hypocritical not to apply the same rationale to MPV drivers? After all, more drivers are killed every year than cyclists - if there is a way to increase their safety it should be implemented.

Don't bother deflecting by saying it's off topic etc, I believe it's quite relevant to your input in this thread.
    You believe its relevant but I dont. I suggest you bring your deflective thesis to the motoring forum.
    By the way, I never suggested legislative measures on this topic but, if you want to move the issue to a legislative one then I agree, if cyclist are not allowed to use headphones/earphones when on a public road then, yes, motorists should not be allowed to use headphones/earphones either.

poochiem wrote: »
    LOL - if this is the best u can do then, believe me, give up, you're not up to this (remedial) level of debate

I agree, if cyclist are not allowed to use headphones/earphones when on a public road then, yes, motorists should not be allowed to use headphones/earphones either.

What about the roof? It reduces what you can hear, much like headphones do.

What about the roof? It reduces what you can hear, much like headphones do.
    I chastised you already for silly posts. Why do you persist? And why post here when your topic belongs in the motoring forum?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this has long ceased being amusing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement