Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nirvana

Options
  • 29-11-2009 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Iolar wrote: »
    The greatest Grunge band ever?discuss

No, as grunge was a movement not a statement, what about pearl jam, alice in chains???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

i would need a definition of grunge.. however i think not either way as he shot himslef in the head , therefor he was not the greatest grunge band ever, he was just ill

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

louisa200 wrote: »
    i would need a definition of grunge.. however i think not either way as he shot himslef in the head , therefor he was not the greatest grunge band ever, he was just ill

This is very suspect and debatable.

Also your post makes no sense at all. Me card read good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Alice in Chains are 100 times the band Nirvana were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

eh no ,would disagree with ya on that one
    i think they were more mainstream then any other grunge band and then the whole kurt cobain suicide ,made sure they went down in history
    i was always a Stone temple pilots fan ,alice in chains and the like
    come to think about it i was never a really big grunge fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

mmmm the band foo fighter before they knew what a power cord was... or kurt cobain who indeed was nirvana, dated, loud, to the point, how and ever, mainstream and obviously no longevity, pain honesty(what does that mean) a small moment in musical history time.... nothing really except cash and.. welll stiched shut eyes during a wake which will keep the beats rolling, tho defo not the eyes rolling x xxx

(foo fighters rest my case).................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Grunge was a stcker and soundbyte label used by record companies. Not a single member of any band big or small in the history of Seattle EVER sat down and said ;lads, lets make grunge music!'

a lot of the rip off bands did (nickleback, creed, stone temple pilots to a lesser dgree) but none of the northwestern bands did.

there was a croiss fertilisation of sound and they were influencing each other a lot of them which is great.

Nirvana wouldnt even be a memory no if Kurt had kept his nerve and stayed around. You *might* remember their 'hit' but thats all. Him putting a full stop to his own life in such a poor me way befitted their (not that great at all) music and made the whole thing overblown for every band involved.

Theres an INCREDIBLE documentary about the whole 'grunge'/Seattle scene featuring ALL the bands involved called HYPE!! you hafta watch tis..its excellent and everyones in it.

heres the first part..its all on youtube..watch it..everything you need to know about the Seattle scene is in here

Since Kurt's death Nirvana are the most commercial, mainstream and popular grunge band

/thread

• Advertisement

Kurt would vomit on your doubtless ripped up converse if you used that word in the same sentence as his band.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kurt would vomit on your doubtless ripped up converse if you used that word in the same sentence as his band.

Would that be before or after he ODs?

Ah OD vomit, nasty stuff.

No, they are not the greatest grunge band. Most well known? yes.

Most well known deffo.
    Pearl Jam are Seattle and Americas last great rock band.

end thread for real.

louisa200 wrote: »
    mmmm the band foo fighter before they knew what a power cord was... or kurt cobain who indeed was nirvana, dated, loud, to the point, how and ever, mainstream and obviously no longevity, pain honesty(what does that mean) a small moment in musical history time.... nothing really except cash and.. welll stiched shut eyes during a wake which will keep the beats rolling, tho defo not the eyes rolling x xxx

(foo fighters rest my case).................

What? What are you talking about???!

a lot of the rip off bands did (nickleback, creed, stone temple pilots to a lesser dgree) but none of the northwestern bands did.

can ya explain that statement?
    seen as CORE was released in 1992 i think and NEVERMIND was released 1993
    how do ya reckon they were a rip?

Well STP are a Pj rip, lets be honest, I like them but they were aping Seattle with Core. they found their own feet with Purple and Tiny Music particularly. Good band..

Ps-Nirvana don't come into the rip off thing..(other than they were ripped off they themselves ripping the pixies and the beatles off but thats academic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Class band,prob the best of all that stuff but a was always turned off from them by their angsty fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

oh and another thing the whole ripoff thing will never hold water.I hate the whole 'my fave band is better than your fave band' crap.grow up.

IMO Core was and is their best album,apart from the vocals i dont see any other similarities

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    oh and another thing the whole ripoff thing will never hold water.I hate the whole 'my fave band is better than your fave band' crap.grow up.

what ya on about??????
    its called debating ,no ones getting into that side of it

• Advertisement

Nobody said better, they just got signed cos they sounded like a music scene a thousand miles away STP were from San Diego. Theyre earlier version was a hair metal cock rock bit, something theyve been at pains to hide by the way.
    I like them, seen them play twice, but definitely a sound alike to begin with. they did find their own way musically though.

And by the way ill take STP ANYDAY over Creed or Nickleback!! jesus those bands are horrible.

seen them in the SFX in 93??
    brilliant concert

STP?
    yeah that was the one :) Vasoline for the opener..kick ass gig :)

And by the way ill take STP ANYDAY over Creed or Nickleback!! jesus those bands are horrible.

never heard creed
    nickelback have 2 songs i like

STP?
    yeah that was the one :) Vasoline for the opener..kick ass gig :)

yea thats the one ,still have the ticket stubb floating around hear somewhere

Me too :)
    ive got ticket number 1 for Foo Fighters first gig in Ireland in that same room..they did 2 nights..sfx was a deadly venue..
    Pearl jam had it on their schedule for 92 but it got cancelled cos eddie had a melt down..ragin to this day so i am.

Me too :)
    ive got ticket number 1 for Foo Fighters first gig in Ireland in that same room..they did 2 nights..sfx was a deadly venue..
    Pearl jam had it on their schedule for 92 but it got cancelled cos eddie had a melt down..ragin to this day so i am.

was at that as well
    met the support act Fluffy????a blonde singer,think they were all blonde?
    cant remember if it was the first or second night though
    its a shame that place shut up shop

deadly venue..TOOL were amazing there too..as were Pumpkins..Chili Peppers did it in 92 with Rollins band supporting..didnt get to see that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

endasmail wrote: »
    seen as CORE was released in 1992 i think and NEVERMIND was released 1993
    how do ya reckon they were a rip?

Nevermind was released in 1991.

Sit down and listen to Pearl Jam's back catalogue and Nirvana's back catalogue. If you believe after this that Nirvana are the best grunge band, IMO you must of prefered The Monkees to The Beatles.

I do love Nirvana, i really do. But if you took Nevermind out of the occasion, Nirvana is nothing (not saying the rest is utter ****, but its not stunning stuff tbh!) You can take Ten from Pearl Jam or BadMotorFinger from Soundgarden and they'd still have a catalogue of awesome-ness. Catch my drift.

Cobain's anti-commercial stance was a bit ****ed too seeing as they were the NO. 1 most commercial Seattle band, even though they weren't the biggest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement