Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Garden Trophy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

airguitar wrote: »
    Blessington Lakes need to beat Killerig 5.5 to 0.5 on the 13th March to go through otherwise South County win the group. Very close game today 4 matches went down 18. A win for each team and a half for the other 2.

Cheers Airguitar,

sounds like it was a very close match alright. Our game was very close too. Must say great to have strong teams in the comp in our section this year and all decent lads.

it will come close on the 13th of march i think, good luck both sounth county and blessington !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Arklow seem to be very strong. Was talking to one of the visiting players and apparently they've a couple of pairings that just won't lose.

Got a text off one of the lads involved in the Blessington game on Friday night. Two Blessington Lakes players posted public comments on their site saying "let's give these south county boys a whipping" and another was "going to give some pair an awful beating".

http://blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/http:/blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/2010/01/26/garden-county-trophy/#comments

Yeah I had heard about them comments and to be posting them on a forum like that is idiotic and not in the nature of why the competition and why it was designed. Most teams although secretly want to win use this as a chance to try out pairings etc and while it's nice to win it it's not like the Barton or anywhere close so just no need for that talk IMO

We played arklow last year and would agree that they are a very strong side and anyone who beats them have played super golf! How is everyones teams shaping up ??We had started off very slowly but are starting to take shape nicely with some new pairings this year looking very strong

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

There were comments from both clubs posted. Blessington Lakes lads sayin they were going to whip South County and South County lad making out members of Blessington Lakes are Boggers. Idioticy from both sides if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Arklow seem to be very strong. Was talking to one of the visiting players and apparently they've a couple of pairings that just won't lose.

Got a text off one of the lads involved in the Blessington game on Friday night. Two Blessington Lakes players posted public comments on their site saying "let's give these south county boys a whipping" and another was "going to give some pair an awful beating".

http://blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/http:/blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/2010/01/26/garden-county-trophy/#comments[/QUOTE]

You really do seem to have issues with Blessington Lakes.

That aside the comments posted by our members were out of order and will be dealt with.

Will South County deal with their member who was trolling on the same thread and will they deal with their team member who displayed a complete lack of ettiquette on the 18th, witnessed by all your team members ?

• Advertisement

all comments posted on the website have been dealt with between both clubs so lets leave it there! enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Good idea. lets move back to talking about the golf that was played. From what I hear there was some excellent golf played by both sides on the day.

thegen wrote: »
    Good idea. lets move back to talking about the golf that was played. From what I hear there was some excellent golf played by both sides on the day.

I second that motion. Full results to date as follows

Group1
    • 30.01.10 Wicklow 4 v. Glenmalure 2
    • 06.02.10 Wicklow 3.5 v. Kilcoole 2.5
    • 06.02.10 Glenmalure 5.5 v. Roundwood 0.5
    • 13.02.10 Glenmalure 3.5 v. Kilcoole 2.5
    • 13.02.10 Arklow 5 v. Wicklow 1
    • 20.02.10 Arklow 6 v. Glenmalure 0
    • 27.02.10 Arklow 2 v. Kilcoole 4
    • 27.02.10 Wicklow 5 v. Roundwood 1

Group 2
    • 23.01.10 South County 3.5 v. Rathsallagh 2.5
    • 30.01.10 Killerig 3 v. Rathsallagh 3
    • 06.02.10 Blessington L 4 v. Rathsallagh 2
    • 13.02.10 South County 5.5 v. Coolattin 0.5
    • 20.02.10 Blessington L 3.5 v. Coolattin 2.5
    • 27.02.10 Blessington L 3 v. South County 3
    • 27.02.10 Coolattin 3.5 v Rathsallagh 2.5.

Group 1 Table
    1. Wicklow - Pld 4 - Pts 3 - +3 wins
    2. Arklow - Pld 3 - Pts 2 - +8 wins
    3. Glenmalure - Pld 4 - Pts 2 - -2 wins
    4. Kilcoole - Pld 2 - Pts 0 - -2 wins
    5. Roundwood - Pld 2 - Pts 0 - -9 wins

Group 2 Table
    1. South County - Pld 4 - Pts 3.5 - +7 wins
    2. Blessington Lakes - Pld 3 - Pts 2.5 - +3 wins
    3. Coolattin - Pld 3 - Pts 1 - -5 wins
    4. Killerig - Pld 2 - Pts 0.5 - -1 wins
    5. Rathsallagh - Pld 4 - Pts 0.5 - -4 wins

Analysis of the above.
    Group 1
    If Arklow beat Roundwood in their final game they go through, otherwise Wicklow go through.

Group 2
    Blessington Lakes need 5.5 wins against Killerig to go through otherwise South County go through.

What odds would you get on Blessington Lakes v Wicklow in the final :)

Really good odds I'd say. Anyway best of luck Air in your game against Killerig.

• Advertisement

Arklow beat Roundwood 5-1 this week making them group 1 winners by having more wins than Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Any word on the other matches this weekend? Also, does anyone know where the final is going to be played?

SuprSi wrote: »
    Any word on the other matches this weekend? Also, does anyone know where the final is going to be played?

Killerig gave Coollattin a spanking on saturday 4.5 - 1.5
    been a rubbish start of the season for coollattin hope it picks up for the Barton !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ouch. Well in fairness the course was probably closed more than any of the other 5 courses around, which must have had a huge impact.

Any updates on who else is in the final?

thegen wrote: »
    Any updates on who else is in the final?

Blessington Lakes just beat Kilerig 6-0 putting them through

Great result. Best of luck in the final.

Anybody know how the final of the garden trophy went today ? Arklow were playing Blessington Lakes ??

Where was it held? I had heard Rathsallagh had offered it as a venue.

yeah thats right, the final was being held in Rathsallagh as far as I knew !!
    Hard to see past Arklow but you just never know, Blessington have strong lads too

• Advertisement

http://blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/http:/blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/2010/03/13/blessington-lakes-reach-garden-county-final/

Got this off Blessington Lakes website. So not on until next week by the looks of it.

oh ok I mixed up the days I guess
    could have sworn it was on today !!

Cheers thegen

Garden Trophy Final Result

Played Today in Southcounty GC

Arklow 5 - 1 Blessington Lakes

Hard luck to Blessington today and congratulations to Arklow in what seems a very convincing win !! If anybody has any reports on the game I would love to hear it.

Cheers

Airguitar might be able to give us a report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Scoreline doesn't lie I'm afraid. Arklow played solid golf all day. We didn't show. A thoroughly deserved win for Arklow. Thanks to South County for being such hospitable hosts.

I thought that Blessington would have the advantage with the length of the course . What condition was it in? Early In season to be hostng a final.

We just didn't show up yesterday and Arklow were very steady, great to get to a final but pitty to get beaten. It should gives a kick in the arse for our Barton cup match next week.

South County was in great nick just a pitty I didn't get to play all the holes:o

Well done Arklow & thanks South County

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Just wondering what sort of scores you would be expecting to be shooting as a barton cup pairing?
    Mike

• Advertisement

I think anywhere around 4-5 over is probably an average score and hard to beat.
    Some of the matches we played in last year were level and under so just depends. Its a tough format but some pairings have been together a long time and shoot the lights out in comps.

Advertisement