Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland/Irish and the love of cold houses

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I've moved to Finland about 4 months ago and it's now starting to get fairly chilly, about +/- 1 being the daily average.

What’s really surprised me though is how warm they heat their houses compared to the relative cold outside.

I’ve lived/shared/visited many houses over my years at home and I can’t remember many times where I’d be comfortable just wearing a t shirt in any of them and it got me thinking have Irish people been brought up to “save the heating” so to speak or maybe it’s just dampness.

Either way its 21.5 degrees in my bedroom at the moment and this is fairly constant day and night, also I just seen that room temperature is defined as being in the range of 20°c (68°F) to 25°C (77°F) so has it just been me living with people who love the cold all these years????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I've noticed that too... My hands are pretty cold most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Duncan Stewart has failed us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Probably more to do with the fact that the Finnish homes are very well insulated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's the landlord's love of the old storage heating. Curse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I guess it's not as cold in Ireland as it would be in Finland. Why heat your home so you can wear a t-shirt and shorts when you can heat it enough where a jumper and trousers will keep you warm. Saves money and good for the environment i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm not Irish and my house is like a freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's our crappy house construction methods. Cavity blocks with no insulation, draughty fireplaces, no attic insulation, etc. My sister & brother both built scandanavian homes here in Ireland (Scanhome.ie are the distributors) - thrown up in 4 weeks, and then rarely need to heat the houses. The walls are stuffed full of sheeps wool, there's geothermal heating, boiler tanks which keep your water lukewarm for a week once it's been heated. I never wear more than a tshirt and shorts when I'm in their houses.

The bottom line is we waste a lot of energy in our crappy homes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah the Irish mentality with turning the heating on seems to be pretty stingy.
    Maybe its because we pay so much for oil/gas/electricity!?

I think the colder nations have better heating systems. Like heating from thermal springs and having power stations heating vast amounts of steam and pumping it into every home and business instead of having your own personal boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I’ve lived/shared/visited many houses over my years at home and I can’t remember many times where I’d be comfortable just wearing a t shirt in any of them and it got me thinking have Irish people been brought up to “save the heating” so to speak or maybe it’s just dampness.

Very true. In Poland winters are much colder but I've never felt so freezing cold indoors like here in Ireland. Polish houses are lovely warm nests in comparison, in the heating season the heating is always on. Insulation here is a joke, I could put my hand through the gap under most doors.

But I hate slippery frozen snow too so it balances out!
    I think the colder nations have better heating systems. Like heating from thermal springs and having power stations heating vast amounts of steam and pumping it into every home and business instead of having your own personal boiler.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The apartments in Carrickmines are losing a lot of heat through the ceilings at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Insulate our house's, are you mad?

Its the only reason the wife will touch me in bed is because she's cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

its too doo with humidity.......dampness in the air = cold.....

finland is freezing so you get no dampness ...

and they know how to build a fire properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

dsmythy wrote: »
    I guess it's not as cold in Ireland as it would be in Finland. Why heat your home so you can wear a t-shirt and shorts when you can heat it enough where a jumper and trousers will keep you warm. Saves money and good for the environment i guess.

I thought the same at first and said this is pretty damm warm but as I said room temperature is defined as being between 20 and 25 and I guess thats a worldwide thing.

I've looked at yahoo answers(however reliable that is) and it seems this is mostly true

What do we live in back in Ireland??? I'd love to know the average there as it must be quite a bit lower than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

dsmythy wrote: »
    Put a zip in the duvet and switch off the heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Des Bishop's work has only begun I see.

Put a jumper on and cut down on your bill for feck's sake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was in Kosovo a couple of years back, a few days in got down to -20, I was staying in a hotel and the room regularly was 25C+ it was unbearable!

I dropped clothes down to get dry cleaned and the receptionist came up and found me sitting on the balcony in a snow storm in a pair of shorts, she asked me was everything ok, I said yes its just far too warm in the room!
    But the Kosovans homes were like this also, a couple of times I excused myself to go outside and cool down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damp air and ****ty building standards must waste a billion or two every year...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

yeah combination of piss poor insulating jobs and being tight asses with the heating! Tell ya what lads, I just got in the aul double glazing this year and I dont know meself so I dont, the hate is woeful altogether. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i remember when we were in finland about 2 years ago, it was really cold outside (about -11c) so being irish we put down a fire in our wooden house as soon as we arrived, 2 hours later we had to open all the windows it was so hot inside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Heating on, fire raging. I'm cosy. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Mousey- wrote: »
    its too doo with humidity.......dampness in the air = cold.....

Yeah we get mainly maritime air here when it's cold, so it's both cold and damp. Worked with a guy from the eastern Ukraine a few years back...he was telling us about winters being 20 below, but that it still didn't "feel" as cold as 0 degree typical Irish winters day, and that's before you add in any windchill.

Construction methods don't do us any favours either...old houses especially.
    I grew up in houses with no central heating so the cold doesn't really bother me, the heating only goes on when it's really needed.
    Have to laugh when I hear people giving out about the cold when they're dresssed for summer and sitting in the house with radiators hopping off the walls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I was in Kosovo a couple of years back, a few days in got down to -20, I was staying in a hotel and the room regularly was 25C+ it was unbearable!

I dropped clothes down to get dry cleaned and the receptionist came up and found me sitting on the balcony in a snow storm in a pair of shorts, she asked me was everything ok, I said yes its just far too warm in the room!
    But the Kosovans homes were like this also, a couple of times I excused myself to go outside and cool down!

Ah yeah but its a bit much to except us to have the same building standards as Kosovo.

Yeah the Irish mentality with turning the heating on seems to be pretty stingy.
    Maybe its because we pay so much for oil/gas/electricity!?

I don’t think the Irish pay any more than they do here...In fact less I think.

I can understand colder nations building warmer houses but with energy prices only going up why can a new house in 2009 Ireland not be built to a similar standard.

I mean It's only sub zero for four months of the year here after all and surely over the lifetime of the average house this would pay for itself.

I can only take our last annual Irish heating bill of 1000 as an example but even over 50 years that adds up to a lot of money and a lot of cold mornings to wake up to. Even after turning on for an hour or two our house would be just as cold as if it was never on at all, Here we have geo thermal (almost free) and some electoral storage system…I’m told the annual heating bill is less than 500 and for that I can work from home in my boxers for the day if I like.

Small price to pay for comfort and it’s not that we are too stingy..Insulation does not cost much and I’ve been in 250k Dublin apartments built just a year ago that would freeze ya

Wertz wrote: »
    Yeah we get mainly maritime air here when it's cold, so it's both cold and damp. Worked with a guy from the eastern Ukraine a few years back...he was telling us about winters being 20 below, but that it still didn't "feel" as cold as 0 degree typical Irish winters day, and that's before you add in any windchill.

Construction methods don't do us any favours either...old houses especially.
    I grew up in houses with no central heating so the cold doesn't really bother me, the heating only goes on when it's really needed.
    Have to laugh when I hear people giving out about the cold when they're dresssed for summer and sitting in the house with radiators hopping off the walls...

I'll give some credit to that here, I used to be really surprised going to University and seeing it's -5 and I didnt think there was any need for a jacket leaving the house.

On your second point maybe living in cold Irish places has done me some favors as my housemate here always wears a heavy top and well people do seem to dress up a lot warmer than me outside……

Or maybe we just like the cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Maybe the Nordics get their Oil and Gas supply cheaply from the Russians ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

No I hate the cold when it really goes down, probably just that my idea of cold and someone who's lived with CH all their lives are different.

On the point about Irish houses being colder, even newly built, the problem again is damp air...it takes a fair bit more heat energy to heat the air inside the house, so it both takes longer to heat up the space and costs more...and since we for the most part still live in houses with poor insulation and draughts, the heat disipates rapidly once it's turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Living with some Englandians at the moment and the radiator in my room is switched off and the windows open, feckers can't hack anything below 30C, they'd all die of exposure if they got locked out of the house for an evening.
    They can suck on my nether regions if they think I'll be paying an equal share of their 24/7 heating bill. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I don’t think the Irish pay any more than they do here...In fact less I think.
    Ireland has the 2nd highest energy prices in Europe as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My home is only 10 years old and I'm roasting most days! Even now, I've no heating on and I hate fires (have bad asthma) so, no fire on either. If I turn on the dryer in the house, I have to wear a t-shirt it's so warm! I really hate the cold but since moving in here I'm never aware of it. I lived in an apartment before this and I was frozen all the time! I believe it 100% depends on how well insulated a house is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We're just thick skinned

Advertisement