Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skelly Reducing Fees

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

With most people under some financial pressure these days, i'm curious as to if and how Jackie Skelly is still charging the same membership fees as a couple of years ago. I'm a member in Newbridge and have been wondering if people are paying the same. I pay €61 a month but I would like to reduce it. Surely gyms must be suffering at the moment so why isn't the fees coming down. What is everyone else paying and has anyone been sucessful in re-negotiating their membership fees. Pricies for just about everything have been falling because of market pressures, so why not the fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

With most people under some financial pressure these days, i'm curious as to if and how Jackie Skelly is still charging the same membership fees as a couple of years ago. I'm a member in Newbridge and have been wondering if people are paying the same. I pay €61 a month but I would like to reduce it. Surely gyms must be suffering at the moment so why isn't the fees coming down. What is everyone else paying and has anyone been sucessful in re-negotiating their membership fees. Pricies for just about everything have been falling because of market pressures, so why not the fees.

Be very carefeul with these gangsters as I have had major issues with a refund I am due when I terminated my membership.

They kept on taking the monthly fee out of my current account via direct debit even though I signed and dated the Termination form.

I have had to ring them every day since November 5th and 7 emails later I finally got a letter from the Customer Service Manager confirming they made an admin mistake and will post out the refund.

I am still waiting on the cheque........:rolleyes:

I was offered 3 yrs free membership for their mistake but turned it down politely stating I prefered a refund cheque.

Never had an issue with their Gym just with their Head Office people in Drogheda........they are a nightmare to deal with and are very un-professional and are lacking in business ethics..........buyer beware....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

I was with Jackie Skellys a few years ago, but terminated my membership because I could no longer afford the fees, and also wasn't get the optimum use out of the membership anymore. I know when I was a member they had a 3 month termination period whereby you had to give them 3 months notice and pay 3 months membership fees before they would end your membership.

When I was coming to the end of the 3 months, I received a call from one of their reps asking me my reasons for wanting to leave, and offering me a reduced rate of membership.

It might be worth giving them a call and trying to renegotiate a lower fee?!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

The Ben Dunne gyms are cheap and are packed as a result. At least the Northwood one is anyways. I usually go in the morning time and it is pretty busy. I would hate to see it at peak time. I do not know how total fitness and jackie skelly get away with charging so much.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've heard that JS will do really low deals if you agree to pay up front - because the reps need their commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

We're using JS and gym in the same sentence.:mad:

• Advertisement

Just found this website regarding Jackie Skelly Fitness -Membership complaints

Makes interesting reading.

http://www.jackieskellymembership.com

BUYER BEWARE

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I haven't too much of a problem with their gym - in terms of cleanliness or maintenance (in Rathfarnham anyway). Horses for courses, it's not a heavy power-lifting gym, but it doesn't claim to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynner83

i would contact them if u are in a position to renegotiate your contract, JS were doing a promotion a while back and gave them my bf phone number to get a free gym pass. he was a member at the time and was paying something similar to yourself.
    then he started getting floods of special offer text!! , i tink they were 49 per month, no joining fee.

he was sickened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've never been to one of these gyms but I have to say, even their name sounds bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

instead of reducing fees they should change the contract that you can pay by the week instead of having to sign up for a year !

• Advertisement

I still waiting on the refund cheque....apparently they posted it to my home address last Thursday from their Drogheda Head Office........

I think at this stage they have not even bothered to post it and are lying.

When I asked for the Customer Service Manager today to find out what is going on with my refund cheque, I was told she is on holidays with no member of management standing in for her.:eek:

This crowd are a joke to deal with......:(

I am thinking of going to the small claims court to retrieve my cheque instead as I am frustrated with the passing the buck and lack of accountability......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

My sister left the one in Greystones, cos they didn't close the pool after a turd was spotted there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

d'Oracle wrote: »
    My sister left the one in Greystones, cos they didn't close the pool after a turd was spotted there.

Had they left the pool open she'd have stayed in a pool full of gick?.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

They are arse holes...this is coming from drogheda(but they guarntee same prices all gyms) so tell them them that u got quoted 350 upfront or 38 monthly from sfx gym drogheda and they wont match it but will get very close.cant stand them(there gym never about training and fitness always about the almighty euro),,good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Think they are reducing fees to be fair! Maybe not if you're in already though! They got my number from someone (that I'd like to kill) and offered me 340 upfront for year. Quite a drop considering I checked it out about 18 months ago and it was about 750 for the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

pffftttt.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

With most people under some financial pressure these days, i'm curious as to if and how Jackie Skelly is still charging the same membership fees as a couple of years ago.

Because they are complete and utter cowboys but if what I hear is true will be closing more than one branch by the end of 2010. I will be the one dancing outside the greystones one when it closes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I was going to join JS, but the hard sell technique is really putting me off. It seems fairly pricey. Works out at €575 a year if you pay monthly and they won't come down in price. Is it worth offering to pay up front?

Advertisement