Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

gatecrash wrote: »
    I think this one hasd been proven as a fake

Thats good to hear, god thought it was such a sad photo..couldnt understand how a Nazi could be THAT cruel.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

gatecrash wrote: »
    I think this one hasd been proven as a fake

The photo is not fake, but it does not tell/show the full story.
    The original photo shows that the soldier is actually firing past the woman&child. The original is somewhere in this thread... and I think it is from the Spanish Civil War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Dow99 wrote: »
    The photo is not fake, but it does not show tell/show the full story.
    The original photo shows that the soldier is actually firing past the woman&child. The original is somewhere in this thread... and I think it is from the Spanish Civil War.

The lack of history behind some of the images is pretty sad. It reminds me of that futurama scene where they have a Charlie Chaplin statue in a museum and they think it's Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Dow99 wrote: »
    The photo is not fake, but it does not tell/show the full story.

That photo is generally accepted as fake. For example - If you examine the angle of shadows on the soldiers face vs the angle of shadows on the womans you will see one of the discrepancies. This photo has been presented in many guises down through the years, cropped, uncropped, with figures sitting on the ground beside them, without them, captioned this way or that. It's still and always has been completely discredited post-war propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

To save people scouring the thread looking for the full picture. You can even see that the person is in front of the soldier by looking at their feet while he is in the background aiming at something else beyond them.

docu08_l1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The workers pictured relaxing on a beam were in fact on the Rockefeller Center, not the Empire State.

They were over 800ft above the ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

*edit : LST's landing at Omaha.

Omaha%20Beach%20Mid%20June%201944.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Pics without context are a pita....

I'm assuming it's before they departed for D-Day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I'm assuming it's before they departed for D-Day?

Nah, it's the invasion itself, Landing Ship Tanks unloading supplies on Omaha beach, probably early on before Mulberry was set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

pic showing the division between rich poor in brazil.

1407012470_4e1a2a6649_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Tagged for "relocation" to a Japanese-American internment camp after the attack on Pearl Harbour.

2v7_Dorothea-Lange-III.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The internet is raving about this at the moment. Its a picture of the first ever commercial space flight that docked with the ISS, landed back on earth yesterday morning just off California. Linky

SpaceX-Dragon-in-Pacific-5-31-12-Credit-Michael-Altenhofen-660x436.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Grimebox wrote: »
    The internet is raving about this at the moment. Its a picture of the first ever commercial space flight that landed back on earth yesterday morning just off California.[/IMG]

First commercial space flight to dock with the ISS. There have plenty of private space flights to date. There's been hundreds of private Ariane launches alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

2009_05_27_OCarroll_WeJailed_ph_Cahill.jpg

Didn't shake the world but shook our world for sure.

Don't think a bio is needed

What's the context?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

What's the context?

Martin Cahill, AKA "The General" outside a court. Have a look here for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

That's The General, Martin Cahill.

After one of his court appearances, he pulled down his pants and showed his underpants and his Mikey Mouse tshirt to goad the Gardai who were trying to gather enough evidence to lock him away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Cahill

Edit: GAAman got there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Shook the world of BeeGee fans:

av26uq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Another tank-man shot I'd never seen. Makes what he did seem even more impressive:

Too big for thread; here is a link

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Won't happen again for another 105 years.

http://venustransit.gsfc.nasa.gov/data

original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I remember watching it on TV as it happened. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lovercase

Wow,these photos are all great and hitting the mind directly

It's incredible to think that people were cheering and whooping while the fire burned and people died. Reminds me of the Love Parade stampede footage, which was featured in the excellent Life in a Day

(from 0.00 to 0.43 - warning: it can be quite distressing to see)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

These photos are great, they make people think and feel emotion which is what a photo is suppose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

this is for all you smokers out there (including myself:o), was sent this today by a close friend, i was scared when i seen it

bryanandson.jpg

bed.jpg
    look at the picture on his bed:(, he was only 34:eek:, scary
    rip

his name is Bryan Lee Curtis, if you wanna look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Those photos were taken only 10 weeks apart??? Wow that is absolutely shocking, very sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

s_w10_21028037.jpg

Italian Fascist leader Benito Mussolini, center, hands on hips, with members of the fascist Party, in Rome, Italy, Oct. 28, 1922, following their March on Rome.

This march was an act of intimidation, where thousands of fascist blackshirts occupied strategic positions throughout much of Italy.

Following the march, King Emanuelle III asked Mussolini to form a new government, clearing the way towards a dictatorship.

Advertisement