Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SimplyElectronics.net Euro Rip off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 privateleno

Ordered a Canon 550d on the Thurs 7/6/12. Got asked for ID etc on the Fri 8/6/12 replied straight away expecting a response to confirm ID was ok. Got a reply finally on the Tues 12/6/12 that the ID was not good enough even though it was a Gas bill. Sent two more proofs of address and finally on Fri 15/6/12 they replied and said it was ok and now they were going ahead with the order. I requested several times when I could expect my order to be received and they said not until after the 25th!! I was blood red with anger and canceled my order. Thank god I used paypal as they are handling my refund.
    Please if you are considering using SE save yourself from Time, Money, Stress and loss of hair in not dealing with them.

On the bright side Argus has the 600d now only for €700 so as soon as I get my money back I'm gonna to buy there, at least I know my rights with them and have a guarantee that I can count on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Soarer wrote: »
    So you got a delivery confirmation on the 12th, and it arrived to you on the 13th?

That doesn't seem too bad. Granted it's about 3 weeks after the order date, but if it's coming from Hong Kong it's not bad.
    The spanner in the works is you ordering a second time from the other website. If you'd have held your nerve a bit, there'd be no problem.

No, the spanner in the works was that I ordered on the 25th May, they couldn't give me a dispatch date after 2 weeks despite "usually ships in 2-4 days", the ignored 5 cancellations and tried to bribe me with "free gifts" to uncancel the order. And I'm still waiting for my refund despite an email confirming that the delivery had been received back with them "in good order".

Sh1te customer service. Absolute muppets.

Oh, and it doesn't come from HongKong, it comes from England, according to the tracking on DHL website. So 3 weeks from the UK isn't bad? I could've swam over and got it faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Liz9093

I have read the posts here re Simply Electonics ranging from 2003 to 2011.
    Some people (if they are not plants) have said they had good experiences with the company. However I bought a Camera from them in march this year only because they had a website that gave the appearance that it was in Ireland (Dublin phone number). Unfortunately didn't do my normal checks before purchasing as I was in a hurry for the camera. BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE.
    The camera arrived and was a great camera but it was faulty and would only turn on sporadically. I followed their complaints route and filled in a form and returned the camera for replacement or repair.. Despite lots of correspondence through emails (don't bother phoning you will be told you have a wait time of forty or fifty minutes...LIES..this is just to get you off the phone) I have not received a replacement. They told me the camera was not in stock despite it being on their site at a higher price than I bought it at. When I challenged this they said they couldn't get it and I would have to accept something at the price i paid which is actually not the case as I am entitled to a refund or replacement regardless of whether the item has increased in price or not.
    For the contributor who said that he had great correspondence with them this is partly true..their emails are very polite but are total scamming lies designed to hold you off and keep you thinking that they are actually going to do anything about it.

The site I purchased from was http://www.simplyelectronics.net/ ...believe me don't go there you will regret it unless you are very very lucky. I think they possibly do a few proper transactions just so it looks good.

My only regret(apart from dealing with this shower at all) is that I sent the camera back. I had a bad feeling about the transaction and should have had the fault repaired myself because I somehow knew they wouldn't honour the transaction. By the way all of the names on the replies are english sounding names eg, michelle, robin, simon......as if..... despite the fact that it is actually based in Hong Kong as far as I can make out.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to say that I actually agreed to have the camera repaired but they offered replacement, only havn't done so. Keep getting replies that it is being processed but they have problems with despatch. that's ok if its just one email but I have had at least 30 emails all amounting to the same thing....NO CAMERA

Yes when I originally got my Camera (quite quickly as it happens) it came from a housing estate address in England ..Surrey I think but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just a quick update on my situation, Bank of Ireland Visa have refunded me fully after I sent in all the documentation I had pertaining to this, and a timeline of events. I have not heard a single thing from Simply Electronics since the email informing me that "the package has been received back at our warehouse in good order and a refund will be issued shortly".

Bloody glad that I got Visa involved and got this whole mess sorted out.

Handtec, on the other hand, are a pleasure to deal with. It may cost a little more, but you definitely get what you pay for in this instance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Niff

If you are looking for a canon 550 d there is bargains if you go down the manufactured refurbished route. Dont be scared off manufactuered refurbished. It does not mean something was automatically broken and it had to be repaired. Google the term. Recently picked up a canon 550d with 18-55 lens and a 50-250mm lens off ebay ( buy it now option) from a seller in uk, all for €635. Working perfectly.

Still no joy from this company despite further emails. I will be more than willing to post a positive account if they come back with my replacement...although I think they are very unlikely to do that ! I live in hope.
    With regard to Visa..tried that but they have got themselves out of the loop because I didn't contact them within their time limit..tried to fob me off with PayPal but got similar answer from them, just like insurance they are all useless

*************STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE IS MY ADVICE*************.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Am I the only one with a reasonably positive experience of them or was I just lucky.

I bought a camera and it arrived quickly.
    I then bought a lense, changed my mind before it got shipped and got refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

I ordered something off of SE. I know...I know...I read all the bad press here and on numerous other sites...but I know a few people personally who have used them with no bother what-so-ever so I thought I'd give them a chance. How badly mistaken I was.

Ordered a Canon EOS 650d (w/ 18-55mm lens kit) off them 3 weeks ago today, with promises on phone and on resulting email of dispatch within 1-2 days and delivery with 7. Which of course, was a total lie.

I chased and chased and was finally promised last Friday that the camera would be dispatched on Monday, Tuesday or at the latest be Wednesday, with delivery within 1-2 days. This of course never happened. So on the phone to them last night and was simply told that delivery would not be happening this week for sure and most likely not until at least middle of next week. No further explanation. Long story short I demanded to speak to a manager but of course none were on duty so demanded a call back.

24 hours later (this evening)...no word back...of course. Called up the sales line. Was told there are 5 cameras in stock, which is matched by the "live" stock report on their site. I was promised delivery again within a week of dispatch, again being within 1-2 days. So I called customer care back and had a good long rant to polite but deaf ears...and explained that how can their sales be blatantly lying, to which I was told that customer care gets different information from the warehouse than sales do. But yet customer service can give me NO information as to what the "unfortunate delay" is or when I can possibly expect my camera!

This is only part of the ridiculousness of SE....it is absolutely staggering to believe that they are even in business. But I suppose that when you call sales and get straight through, but the customer care line has a queue of 1 hour...that speaks volumes.

I have wasted 3 weeks with them and think my fight is done. I can't wait around with no info...could be a week...could be a month...so I have little choice but to call the credit card company in the morning. Even SE are suggesting I should cancel my order....but after all this time invested...I just want my camera!!! :mad:

OK....rant over ;)

Hi Again,

Well still no joy except in last email they said they could not send replacement and did I want a refund!! What? Of course i will accept a refund but I am not dancing about in joy because this is obviously another delaying tactic and I will never see a refund, they just want me to think that they are going to give me one.
    To the person who asked if he was one of the lucky ones to get his item with no problems...well yes you were. I mean I actually got the camera I ordered but it was faulty..mind you I would settle for the faulty one now..a bird in the hand and all that!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I ordered my camera from them and it was absolutely fine, but a friend of mine is going through an absolute nightmare with them right now. He has bene waiting many weeks now despite being told it was in stock, and then constantly lied to about what is happening. Sometimes its not worth saving a few pennies and just buy from someone more reputable.

http://www.cameranu.nl/en/ - I hear these guys are decent!

Yeah, cameranu.nl has been recommended to me by a few professional photographers and googling them will show no bad press what-so-ever. So in this case...no news seems to be good news.

My own story following on from my previous posting just gets worse and worse.

After speaking with them on Thursday and demanding a call back from a Manager again, which of course I did not receive (as I was told the Managers will only call back if the see fit to do so), I emailed them a scathing email on Friday demanding response by 5pm or I will be left with no alternative other than to report the transaction as fraudulent to my CC company, and several European agencies dealing with consumer rights etc etc. 5pm arrived and of course no response. So I emailed them back at 5:01 saying "So disappointed in Simply Electronics once again, but not surprised". Spoke to my CC company who were going to send me forms to investigate things for me, but then left it for the weekend and cancelled my order by email on Monday.

Wednesday morning ay 7:52am - received an email from customer care in response saying:

Thank you kindly for your e-mail.

We regret to inform you that your order has already been dispatched prior to us receiving your email. We are currently utilising all resources to stop the delivery; however please understand that the courier service handles thousands of packages a day. Therefore we cannot offer any guarantee the delivery will be cancelled in time.

In the event your order is received, may we offer you a free gift should you wish to reconsider?

Thank you for your understanding in this matter, should there be any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us again.

This was followed an hour later by an auto response from SE saying my order had been dispatched by DHL, with a tracking number. This simply shows that "Shipment information received", which in my mind, means they don't even have the item itself for shipment, just the booking information for the shipping. So of course, I argued the point on an email, that I cancelled the order, so how can they dispatch an item 2 days later etc etc? I also said I would not confirm accepting receipt of the order, but for amusement sake, what would they feel constituted a "free gift"? I would also expect a refund on the difference on the price - the EOS 650d is now €719, as opposed to the €749 I paid 4 weeks ago.

Get a response today from someone else in customer care (I hate having to refer to them as such) now saying that my order has been sent by POST...and will arrive in 7-15 days?? And that no tracking number is applicable. To say I am shocked and appalled is now a serious under statement. It really is like they are making a committed effort to be purposefully difficult, and to provide as much bad service as possible. I know it's all been a nightmareish joke so far, but this is going beyond the utter mess and in fact making things significantly worse. I'm actually at a bit of a loss, for once!

:mad:

One of the posts here said that there should an equal distribution of positive and negative replies re the above. Well as there seem to be more negative posts surely that says something! I have no axe to grind here and am only relaying my negative experience with this company. I am nearly 300 euro out of pocket, with nothing to show for it. This company have not honoured the transaction entered into and their warranty is useless. They are either most incompetent or totally dishonest. Yes some people seem to have had positive experiences but not many lately. Lots of people have paid out very large amounts and have received nothing in return. These large amounts of money are in their bank account.

TAKE MY ADVICE-AVOID THEM.....WHY TAKE THE CHANCE??

Well I do feel your pain Liz.

I called DHL out of interest and they confirmed to me twice (2 different people...got cut off from 1st) that SE had NOT given them anything for dispatch. So I called SE and eventually got through...funnily enough to the same guy who emailed me on Wednesday saying the order had been dispatched. He assured me that the email re posting the camera was incorrect and due to an error at their end (at least they admitted to some sort of error!!) and he "assured" me that the camera was indeed dispatched via DHL. He claimed that they take 3 days to update their system so if I would kindly be patient further, i would see in a few days the status of my delivery. I pointed out that I had been promised that the delivery would take 2-3 days, so essentially I would see on DHL's system that my camera was delivered AFTER I actually received it..!?

Anyways, that is a very short version of the call - I basically told him he was lying again - I work with DHL on occassion (along with FedEx, UPS, etc) and the whole point of a tracking number was so that you can actually TRACK where your item is on its voyage to you. He admitted that the item was dispatched along with many other items so it takes DHL some time (3 days apparently) to break down the bigger consignment into smaller individual items. So this hints at what I suspected all along (and most likely was mentioned before in this thread, or others) that they sit on orders until they can fill a bigger consignment to Ireland to ship them all together. He did though, to his credit, email me through again confirming that it had been dispatched via DHL...so it's a positive step...to some degree.

I called DHL back and spoke to the same guy I got cut off from, and he actually confirmed this is correct, after initially saying they had not received anything. He stated that SE do not get DHL to collect, they actually deliver stock on a big lorry directly to DHL's warehouse in Hong Kong. That container is then sent to the UK and then split up to UK deliveries, Irish deliveries, etc. They then send it on to Ireland and then at that stage it is broken down into individual orders and logged on their system locally for dispatch. So he said as I had a DHL tracking number, it was fairly likely that this was indeed true and I would likely receive the camera tomorrow...in his experience. He did say though that this is dependant on them actually receiving the goods in the first place but as it can take 3 days to sort all the orders out...I need to wait. if nothing shows up on the system tomorrow, I can log a complaint with them and it will be investigated.

So...we will wait and see....! After all this $%&£...I know it sounds weird...but I MAY reject delivery if it does turn up. Which of course is a BIG if. I just shudder to think that if something goes wrong with the camera and it needs to be returned under warranty........aarrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!! :) At this stage I would rather give my business to a much more deserving company!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

Am I the only one with a reasonably positive experience of them or was I just lucky.

I bought a camera and it arrived quickly.
    I then bought a lense, changed my mind before it got shipped and got refunded.
    I ordered a camera from SE on Monday morning last, €350. The price was a lot cheaper than anywhere else so I guess my scam-radar switched off. Later that day I saw this thread and my heart sank! However, on Wednesday morning I had an e-mail saying my goods were shipped (from Hong Kong) and my camera arrived intact this morning (Friday). The DHL tracking was hopeless, it only updated after the item was actually delivered. Anyway, maybe some of us get out alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

I ordered a camera from SE on Monday morning last, €350. The price was a lot cheaper than anywhere else so I guess my scam-radar switched off. Later that day I saw this thread and my heart sank! However, on Wednesday morning I had an e-mail saying my goods were shipped (from Hong Kong) and my camera arrived intact this morning (Friday). The DHL tracking was hopeless, it only updated after the item was actually delivered. Anyway, maybe some of us get out alive!

That is good that you got the item so quick and in fairness to SI this happens more often than not.

I would say to people be warned, as just because some get the product on time the other big problem is if the item goes faulty. You do not have a manufactures warranty for most items. Now you have to deal with SI for faults and that is a lot worse than dealing with them on late deliveries.

Please keep this in mind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 APouyet31

I wish to file a complaint against the company Simply Electronics with whom I have dealt with over the past seven weeks. After having purchased an item from their website which I had not received eleven days after buying, I cancelled my order due to the shady behavior of the company with regards to my order. Forty days later, I am still waiting for my refund which the company says on their website, will be provided immediately.
    “If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is cancelled, SimplyElectronics.net will immediately issue a credit to your credit card in the amount of the charge.” Extract from the Terms and conditions of Simply Electronics
    Since the cancellation of my order I have had to put up with numerous excuses from the company as to why I have not received my refund. The past seven weeks that I have spent dealing with this company, have left me with little doubt that this is a company who walks the line between legal and illegal business practices –tricking customers into buying their products through the advertisement of false promises that become evident as soon as the payment transaction has gone through. Simply Electronics is a company who plays with customers’ patience and time, in the hopes, I believe, that the dissatisfied customers will eventually give up on their demand for a refund.
    I will provide you as attachted, with a chronological outline of my dealings with Simply Electronics.

June 9th, 2012. I ordered 1 x Nikon D7000 DSLR Camera Body (Order Number 528206-806645) on the website SimplyElectronics.net without receiving any formal receipt (I have only received an e-mail confirmation and an automatic message after paying the order online, please see the attachment).
    June 21st, 2012 I decided to cancel my order and demanded a full refund.
    The reasons that I decided to cancel my order include:
    · The fact that I did not receive my order during the time frame promised (The item being in stock on the website, the trader guaranteed the item to be shipped within 1-2 working days and delivered within 2-7 working days )
    · The shady behavior of the customer service representatives:
    è The inability or unwillingness of the representatives to give me any clear and concrete information concerning my order.
    è Their refusal to provide me with a written date at which time my order would be shipped. They only gave me a date for the shipment by phone which was inexact.
    Details concerning the cancellation of my order:
    · The Customer Service representative accepted the request by phone and asks me to confirm it by e-mail. But, while I was writing my e-mail cancellation a few minutes after my phone call, the online status of my order changed from “new” (I had the misfortune of seeing this for 10 days after my payment) to “packing”.
    è I have a hard time believing that it was just a coincidence that this changing operation happened just right after my call requesting the cancellation of my order, while one of their online Customer Services Agent kept saying to me that the item that I purchased was not present in their stock.
    · I nevertheless sent a cancellation email that same day demanding a cancellation of my order. To my surprise, the status of my order the following day was listed as “shipping”, please see the attachment).. At the same time I received a reply to my cancellation request, from the customer representative stating that I had not given the company enough time to cancel my order and that the product was now being handled by the shipping department and they were therefore no longer able to ‘help’ me.
    · I therefore asked for the tracking number of my order which Simply Electronics refused to give to me. I had to contact DHL (delivery company) myself in order to obtain information concerning my product. In speaking with a DHL employee I discovered that the time delays that Simply Electronics had given me were in fact false. (I had been told by Simply Electronics that I would receive my refund as soon as the package was returned to them. I found out from UPS that Simply Electronics received that package on June 30th; however several days after this date, I still had no news from them. I thus informed them that I was aware of the fact that they had received the package and I once again demanded my refund).
    · Despite my unrelenting pressure to receive my refund, Simply Electronics has put off providing me with my refund both through taking a lot more time to reply to my emails than was previously the case, and by giving me weak excuses as to why the refund has not taken place.
    è The most recent excuse has been that there is a problem with their credit card processor.

After seven weeks of waiting and countless emails exchanged, I still have not received a refund. I have tried to negotiate with the company itself however as you will see for yourself in reading the emails that I have attached, this tactic is useless when dealing with a company that seems determined to evade any sort of responsibility that they may have towards their customers.

My sole request is to be reimbursed the 819,95 euros that I paid for an item that I cancelled over a month ago.

You need to take this up with your credit card company really. But as with most people's experience with SE, you are fighting against a brick wall of ignorance unfortunately. There is little I know of that will help in your fight directly with them, they will not take your points on board and will generally answer questions with aloofness and vagueness. All that will happen is that you will get stressed and worked up for nothing - SE simply DO NOT CARE.

Take the stress and hassle out of it - speak to your credit card company and they can take up the fight for you.

da wiseguy wrote: »
    Well I do feel your pain Liz.

I called DHL out of interest and they confirmed to me twice (2 different people...got cut off from 1st) that SE had NOT given them anything for dispatch. So I called SE and eventually got through...funnily enough to the same guy who emailed me on Wednesday saying the order had been dispatched. He assured me that the email re posting the camera was incorrect and due to an error at their end (at least they admitted to some sort of error!!) and he "assured" me that the camera was indeed dispatched via DHL. He claimed that they take 3 days to update their system so if I would kindly be patient further, i would see in a few days the status of my delivery. I pointed out that I had been promised that the delivery would take 2-3 days, so essentially I would see on DHL's system that my camera was delivered AFTER I actually received it..!?

Anyways, that is a very short version of the call - I basically told him he was lying again - I work with DHL on occassion (along with FedEx, UPS, etc) and the whole point of a tracking number was so that you can actually TRACK where your item is on its voyage to you. He admitted that the item was dispatched along with many other items so it takes DHL some time (3 days apparently) to break down the bigger consignment into smaller individual items. So this hints at what I suspected all along (and most likely was mentioned before in this thread, or others) that they sit on orders until they can fill a bigger consignment to Ireland to ship them all together. He did though, to his credit, email me through again confirming that it had been dispatched via DHL...so it's a positive step...to some degree.

I called DHL back and spoke to the same guy I got cut off from, and he actually confirmed this is correct, after initially saying they had not received anything. He stated that SE do not get DHL to collect, they actually deliver stock on a big lorry directly to DHL's warehouse in Hong Kong. That container is then sent to the UK and then split up to UK deliveries, Irish deliveries, etc. They then send it on to Ireland and then at that stage it is broken down into individual orders and logged on their system locally for dispatch. So he said as I had a DHL tracking number, it was fairly likely that this was indeed true and I would likely receive the camera tomorrow...in his experience. He did say though that this is dependant on them actually receiving the goods in the first place but as it can take 3 days to sort all the orders out...I need to wait. if nothing shows up on the system tomorrow, I can log a complaint with them and it will be investigated.

So...we will wait and see....! After all this $%&£...I know it sounds weird...but I MAY reject delivery if it does turn up. Which of course is a BIG if. I just shudder to think that if something goes wrong with the camera and it needs to be returned under warranty........aarrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!! :) At this stage I would rather give my business to a much more deserving company!!!

To quickly finish my own story - the camera DID turn up. I called DHL to tell them my office is closed between 1-2pm for lunch, so to not deliver during those times. Of course, they delivered at 1:50pm, and a colleague was here so accepted delivery. Damn.

But anyways - got the camera - and thought that I may as well just get on with it. But I was notified of an issue with certain batches of 650d's... the front rubber grips having problems:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024805ba6ce&WT.mc_id=C126149

So of course I checked my serial number and.....of course mine is one of the affected units. Typical. Whilst I am not bothered about a "possible allergic skin reaction", it's just the icing on the cake really. I called Canon Customer Care/Service (and was put through to the UK) who were strongly advising that I send it back for them to repair/replace grips for free as "you just never know" and that Canon most likely would not the offering free repair indefinitely. They pointed me to ISS in D8 who could sort it out "probably within 5 days", but when I called ISS, they have little or no idea of what I was talking about, and said all they would do is to send the camera off to the UK and it would take 10 days. More misinformation.

So...whilst I have a camera, from start to finish, it has been a total and utter nightmare. I have an expensive piece of kit that I should be happy and excited with, but SE have ruined this for me. And on top of this, I will always have the warranty/repair problem looking over me - if it has to be sent back to SE in HK for repair, it will take 28 days...and according to DHL...it will cost €110. Nice.

In summary - of course the motto is....DO NOT USE SIMPLY ELECTRONICS. I know there are people who have, amazingly, had a good experience with them. I am genuinely happy for them, honestly. I would like to think that some people are getting something good out of all of this! But, those people are few and far between - the far majority have had a woeful or awful time with them and it's really just not worth the risk. Use a more reputable company... or even better... buy local. it might cost you more, but you'll get your camera immediately and if you have any problems, you take it back to them. Sounds good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

Hey Wise Guy just seen most of your post, was alot easier to read when you put it all together.

I had a similar experience with DHL, but let me tell you this, a parcel I was getting via them went missing once, I was told it'd been shipped but after a week of contacting DHL I was told they never had it. It might have been off SE or Amazon, cant remember now. Anyway, same thing, was contacting both parties and banging my head off a wall, both sides said neither had the parcel and that the other side had it.
    Anyway, when it eventually got to me I checked the shipping date, DHL had gotten it when I was told they had it. They had it ALL along. They said the shipping number was part of a batch and that they hadnt received it but the shipping date was correct, after another week of trying to find out what happened it turns out DHL had "misplaced" my parcel and it'd been sitting in a loading bay the whole time.
    Of course they'll deny having it.
    I'm glad you got your camera though mate, Im amazed at how many people have had trouble with SE. Ive had nothing but good interaction with them, other then the long ass wait between purchase and initial shipping :(

Also, I have had nothing but helpful experiences with them when it came to credit card, refund and returns. Ive bought off them so many times with zero incidents bar the DHL one. I'm sorry you'd such a bad time, guess you get it anywhere though.

I feel their legit though, but thats just me :) Now I buy off amazon.de because I'm over there alot so I get everything shipped before I leave Ireland so its there when I arrive.

Also on the topic of refunds, it just took me 6 and a half months to get a refund off Aer Lingus for a flight they cancelled, 3 months of them saying "you'll have it within 14 (working) days" and then 2 months of nothing til I threatened them with further action, a day later, I had my money back. So all companies can be pricks about refunds.

Hi Again,
    Well here I am again and this time with positive news!!!!
    I have actually received a refund from Simply Electronics for my faulty camera..
    after 5 months and umpteen emails back and forth!!!
    As I said before I don't know whether this company is dodgy or it is that they are just not able to handle the logistics of running an online business efficiently.
    I am very happy to have received the refund..albeit months down the line and would love to have the confidence to shop with them again but I don't think I will take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oscas

Thank you all for your posts - after reading them I decided to cancel my order before it goes on as long as some of your ordeals.

I paid 1,899e for a Canon XA10 on Aug 16th, a chunk cheaper than anywhere else. I know it's only a week later but it hasn't been dispatched and they can't give me an estimate as to when it will. I've never come across such uncertain and vague customer service. It's just too much money for me to let them play with, especially if anything goes wrong with the camera in the future - I can't imagine them actually sorting it out.

So here's hoping they actually refund my money so I can but it elsewhere. I'll pay more but my peace of mind will be worth it.

Thanks all - I hope you all get sorted in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

I read the thread and thanks for all contributions.

I ordered a 179€ phone from them last evening. It's not a new phone but it's €40 cheaper than anywhere on Amazon.de even. So I said I would give it a try, my rationale being that it's not a high value product or a product that's in demand. "2 units in stock" and I should receive it in "3-8 business days".

My guesswork is based around that people who have encountered problems seem to have been ordering high value cameras or the latest mobile phones.

I'll let you all know how I get on or how long it takes for my naivete to be knocked out of me! :D

Thank god I used paypal as they are handling my refund.

How does a paypal refund work? - it looks like I have to try to resolve it with SE first...wait for an appropriate shipping period even though they won't give me a dispatch date and so there's no way it's gonna get to me in the next 2 working days.

Hi Oscas, Because I had paid with visa through Paypal, Simply Electronics refunded me through my paypal account by making a payment directly into that account after checking if I still had an account with Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Payment for my order (placed 0119 23/08/12) is listed as 'approved' but no update on shipping yet..!

oscas wrote: »
    Thank you all for your posts - after reading them I decided to cancel my order before it goes on as long as some of your ordeals.

I paid 1,899e for a Canon XA10 on Aug 16th, a chunk cheaper than anywhere else. I know it's only a week later but it hasn't been dispatched and they can't give me an estimate as to when it will. I've never come across such uncertain and vague customer service. It's just too much money for me to let them play with, especially if anything goes wrong with the camera in the future - I can't imagine them actually sorting it out.

So here's hoping they actually refund my money so I can but it elsewhere. I'll pay more but my peace of mind will be worth it.

Thanks all - I hope you all get sorted in the end.

Update: So I cancelled my order 5 days ago and heard nothing from them besides that they received my email. I then reported the issue with PayPal in an effort to get their support in getting my refund promptly. Today I received an email from SE to let me know that my order has been dispatched and I should receive it in 2-3 working days.

Not sure what to do now...should I wait until the end of the week and see if they deliver or contact them again today pushing my refund...I really want the camera but it's 2,000euro and I'm dreading the process of dealing with them again if it's faulty in any way

Any advice...?

hey oscas,

that's the same sh1te the pulled on me. i waited for about 5 weeks before finally deciding to cancel...so followed their proceedures and cancelled it in writing (via email) and then lo & behold...2 days later i get an email back saying that "unfortunately" the camera had already been dispatched prior to them receiving my cancellation etc etc...which of course is bull$****. i can pretty much guarantee you that they stockpile orders until they can fulfil a big order with their suppliers. i don't know what that number is but if your order is one of the last ones in then you will receive your camera within a quick timeframe. i waited 5 weeks so mine was one of the first and it waited and waited until they got to the magic number. so like me, they probably saw your order was, for example, #378 out of 500 and they were waiting to hit the 500 mark. this explains the vagueness as they can't tell you anything & the delay, ignore and fob you off until...like magic...PRESTO...your order is sent out.

you can see my previous posts here...but to add further pain to the long misery, the unit i received eventually was faulty (canon eos 650d rubber grip issue...) so i didn't even get to use it. i wanted to refuse delivery of the camera in the first place (although a colleague accepted delivery & signed for it) and then it's faulty. i was stuck myself thinking should i send it back...or just get on with it...and the whole warranty issue was the big question. if my camera was already faulty...what else could go wrong?? SE's own site quotes that the warranty is with them and NOT the manufacturer & quote 28 days for repair and i had thought you'd need to send it back to HK...but...it's not the case. when i complained to them about the latest issue, they were telling me to send it back to some place in the UK (although they may well have send it back to HK for SE), BUT canon ireland confirmed to me in an email that canon has a 12 month manufacturer warranty so you could return to canon direct for warranty repairs. that's all well and good on an email and might be a bit different in practice but that's straight from "the horses mouth" so i decided to take my chances and hopefully get on with taking some tip top shots...when my canon comes back from canon with nice new non toxic grips! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks da wiseguy; I looked up the tracking number with DHL and it all looks in order. I think I'm gonna give them until the end of the week, accept the item, see how it works and take it from there.

Please post how you got on with Canon Ireland when you get your camera back...would be good for everyone to know for future reference!

Advertisement