Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood Warning from AA Road watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Some pics from the UCC area. Western Road and Washington Street totally under water BTW.
    IMAGE_063-1.jpg
    IMAGE_048.jpg
    IMAGE_060.jpg
    IMAGE_058.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Poohbear180609

Is the Gate Multiplex closed? :(
    Twilight New Moon Tickets booked for tonight. (**** sake)
    and am praying that its not [was a 16th bday pressie from friend]

Please update asap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I don't know but it's possible:(Anyone know if the new Boots (only opened yesterday) GAP/H+M, the new Opera Lne places are flooded? Would be awful for brand new businesses in the city.

Thanks anyway.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

glad we have our priorites straight here! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Phone them in a few hours to check.

This is mad, I woke up about an hour ago and the sun is shining and the sky is clear blue. I'm quite high up in Blackrock, and if it wasn't for reading here and listening to the radio, I'd think the whole place was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Hi guys. Driving from Waterford to Cork tomorrow evening. Also travelling all the way to the Kingsley Hotel so will have to get through the city centre as well. Is there any update on the flooding on the N25 or in the city centre? Any suggestions for a detour if necessary?

Hey Jonny. See the pics above from Eliot Rosewater? The Kingsley is at the end of that road pretty much on the river bank so it might be hard to get to. You won't have to drive down that road to get to the hotel because you'll be coming from the other side but it doesn't look good. Sorry to put a 'damper' on that for you. :pac:

To avoid the city you could go through the tunnel and head west towards Wilton. At the Sarsfield roundabout head up pass Wilton and down to the Kingsley through Victoria Cross. I'd say that's your best bet.

I don't live out that way, so not sure if any of that route is flooded or not but it can't be as bad as the city. Those pics from by UCC are on the road from the city to the Kingsley.

Edit: Just seen more pics from other threads and this post. Stay at home I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

sunnyside wrote: »
    I don't know but it's possible:(Anyone know if the new Boots (only opened yesterday) GAP/H+M, the new Opera Lne places are flooded? Would be awful for brand new businesses in the city.

That would be really awful :( I think the worst of the damage seems to be Oliver Plunkett Street and Grand Parade side though.

Thanks.

Our priorities are perfect :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

latest!

0002c4f6-380.jpg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    latest!

0002c4f6-380.jpg

Yikes!!! That is awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

latest!

0002c4f6-380.jpg

Wow:eek::eek:

latest!

0002c4f6-380.jpg

Holy mother of god! I kind of wish I could go in and see it with my own eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

latest!

0002c4f6-380.jpg

:eek:

Just got out of the city, after finding out when i got in ucc lectures were cancelled, castlewhite apartments looked fairly bad but fiurther up looks a lot worse judged on that!

Traffic was unbelievable on college road, in both directions, after dennehys cross though, out model famr road, was quite alright! NO more floodind between there and ballincollig either, just a bit of water near the old tennis village

Faith wrote: »
    This is mad, I woke up about an hour ago and the sun is shining and the sky is clear blue. I'm quite high up in Blackrock, and if it wasn't for reading here and listening to the radio, I'd think the whole place was fine!

Similar here, Bishopstown area. I just posted on another thread that 2 separate postmen delivered ebay packages to my house this morning (separate postman for registered post)--business as usual. I certainly wasn't expecting them given the circumstances.

As for priorities, the cinema and other places will need our business after this.

More pictures from RTE.ie:

0002c4f410dr.jpg

0002c4e310dr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

moved to general forum

Oh no, that's the Fenns Quay restaurant. I eat there sometimes and I know how hard the lovely people who own it work to keep it going as it is. Feeling bad for them (and many others like them) this morning.

Those car owners will be pretty scr3wed too won't they? Are cars covered by insurance if it is a "natural disaster"?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Those car owners will be pretty scr3wed too won't they? Are cars covered by insurance if it is a "natural disaster"?!

im not sure if it is a natural disaster technically. it was the esb who had to open the dam. that caused the floods last night, not the rain

Cork_girl wrote: »

I've 96fm on and they keep saying something about an "Act of God" clause in insurance that means they won't be covered for this kind of flood damage. I'm not sure if that'll hold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭glanman

Some Pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭glanman

Some More Pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Crazy stuff isnt it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Woah!

And I was going to take a walk to UCC from Mayfield this morning! I'm glad I didn't now :D

I've 96fm on and they keep saying something about an "Act of God" clause in insurance that means they won't be covered for this kind of flood damage. I'm not sure if that'll hold though.

Ya that's what I was thinking.. but if it is something that has been boosted by the ESB's lack of forward planning in relation to forecasted high rainfall.. then it's not so much the hand of God is it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

glanman wrote: »
    Some More Pics
    Jesus that last one really brings it home... excuse the pun...

im not sure if it is a natural disaster technically. it was the esb who had to open the dam. that caused the floods last night, not the rain

So are the ESB are responsible for this:confused: Because the dam should have been as empty as is possible in anticipation of high rainfall and a flooding risk.

Has this dam ever burst?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Jeez, glad I live on the first floor! So much for getting into town for a bit of Christmas shopping this weekend! :o

Advertisement