Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry Shoppers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Sorry to go off topic but.....Yeah granted I made a spelling mistake, please forgive me...;) but I was just giving my opinion on the OP, and I wasn't trying to be sarky infact it was haines35 being sarky!

But what was haines35 trying to prove? He/she didn't even make a comment on the OP ( and neither did you btw)! Only reason he/she posted was to point out a spelling mistake!

Anyone from Dundalk/Louth/Ireland /Northern Ireland/UK/ would have realized that it was a simple spelling mistake, and not really worthy of a comment, and unless they were going to add something to the thread they were just trying to be a smart arse and belittle my post. Which ain't really cool either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Maybe if I was a millionaire I'd buy everything I need in town, but I'm not so I won't and I don't feel a bit guilty about it either

I'm no millionare and I'm on social welfare, yet I manage still to live and spend in the town. I've shopped once in the north in Iceland over Christmas under pressure from my wife and when doing our shopping in aldis afterwards found out our shopping was cheaper and even got more for our money. as a previous poster said about the cucumber being cheaper in aldis than in the north etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lighten up mate!
    I thought it was a wee bit funny...hehe!

Maybe if you respected other people's beliefs and had contibuted something of worth to the discussion in the process it could be construed as mildly humourous, but as a one liner, without any other contribution up to that point, what you made was a sarky comment. (And I'll not comment on the Agrus/Argos issue).

As a non-millionaire I try to do most of my shopping locally. It keeps jobs locally.

The comment by malman that "Irish Jobs" are created in Newry is wrong on so many fronts that it is almost farsical. Politically and economically it is the UK. The revenues (be they sent to London or invested in NI) do not add to the GDP or GNP of this state.

I have shopped in Newry and will do so again but my day to day purchases will be here at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Maybe if you respected other people's beliefs and had contibuted something of worth to the discussion in the process it could be construed as mildly humourous, but as a one liner, without any other contribution up to that point, what you made was a sarky comment. (And I'll not comment on the Agrus/Argos issue).

As a non-millionaire I try to do most of my shopping locally. It keeps jobs locally.

The comment by malman that "Irish Jobs" are created in Newry is wrong on so many fronts that it is almost farsical. Politically and economically it is the UK. The revenues (be they sent to London or invested in NI) do not add to the GDP or GNP of this state.

I have shopped in Newry and will do so again but my day to day purchases will be here at home.

Read the thread again, I didn't make any comment on anyone's beliefs! I couldn't care less what anyone believes in, you could believe in the tooth fairy for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I understand this argument that money spent in NI does not benifit this state economically. Except for Donegal who are almost landlocked by the UK. But regardless of economics and politics the people of Newry would view themselves as being Irish.

I am obviously in a minority here but I am happy to contribute to the ecomoinc prosperity of the state of NI. Especially in a border area like Newry and Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

malman wrote: »
    I understand this argument that money spent in NI does not benifit this state economically. Except for Donegal who are almost landlocked by the UK. But regardless of economics and politics the people of Newry would view themselves as being Irish.

I am obviously in a minority here but I am happy to contribute to the ecomoinc prosperity of the state of NI. Especially in a border area like Newry and Derry.

Its not whether the people of Newry consider themselves Irish or British, that's just romanticising the situation, burying your head in the sand, call it what you will.
    But while you are contributing to the economy of NI, you are adding to the economic downturn in border towns such as Dundalk or Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I have no issue with the people in border towns (or elsewhere) benefiting from cross border shopping, but it will not benefit the majority of Irish people who do not want to be part of the union. It will only makes the north more economically viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I have no issue with the people in border towns (or elsewhere) benefiting from cross border shopping, but it will not benefit the majority of Irish people who do not want to be part of the union.

The majority aren't part of the union.
    It will only makes the north more economically viable.

It's not like they are propping up some failed state on the brink. The future of NI will not be significantly affected by the number of migrant shoppers, even if its encomy is benefitted.

I wouldn't like our economy to suffer either. Maybe I am underestimating the effects cross border shopping is having on the Republic's economy. In any case I wonder will it be a good thing in the long run; will it help drive down prices here?

Richard wrote: »
    The majority aren't part of the union.

It's not like they are propping up some failed state on the brink. The future of NI will not be significantly affected by the number of migrant shoppers, even if its encomy is benefitted.

1. The majority of Irish people living in the north. No need to be silly.

2. It has been bank rolled by the British government since it's inception. Without tax payers money from across the water, it would have ceased to exist a long time ago. Cross border shopping has taken the north out of recession. Obviously, the northern state is not going to fall anytime soon with or without or money, but I do have a problem with people funding British imperialism here and around the world.

It's avoidable in a lot of cases.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like our economy to suffer either. Maybe I am underestimating the effects cross border shopping is having on the Republic's economy. In any case I wonder will it be a good thing in the long run; will it help drive down prices here?

Irish jobs and businesses are being lost daily because of cross border shopping. There is very little difference on most goods when income is taken into consideration. People here are paid significantly more than their equivalent in the north.

People will only prolong their hardship by shopping elsewhere.

IMaybe I am underestimating the effects cross border shopping is having on the Republic's economy.

Seems like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭mindundalk

Irish jobs and businesses are being lost daily because of cross border shopping. There is very little difference on most goods when income is taken into consideration. People here are paid significantly more than their equivalent in the north.

People will only prolong their hardship by shopping elsewhere.
    prices already have dropped its just everybody is to busy shopping up north to actually look around..or even notice or care.

You know I was never bothered with going north before. Something I didn't mention - I lived and worked in NI for the majority of last year. The wages are a lot lower up there and I probably was better off staying on the dole here but I prefer to be working. Rent, drink and groceries were cheaper. Must try and get my tax back actually. But in any case I feel I am entitled to buy up there; just for another wee while to compensate for the low wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

1. The majority of Irish people living in the north. No need to be silly.

2. It has been bank rolled by the British government since it's inception. Without tax payers money from across the water, it would have ceased to exist a long time ago. Cross border shopping has taken the north out of recession. Obviously, the northern state is not going to fall anytime soon with or without or money, but I do have a problem with people funding British imperialism here and around the world.

It's avoidable in a lot of cases.

I'm not being silly in the slightest. But I'll not reply to what you've posted because it is far beyond the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 higgins2010

ah come on, it was just a wee joke
    Thats not a joke at all... i agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭mattock

Jebus crist lads will ye lighten up for fooks sake, twas only a wee spelling mistake. ;)

mattock wrote: »
    Jebus crist lads will ye lighten up for fooks sake, twas only a wee spelling mistake. ;)

You've lost me there kid. Are we talking about the same dig/joke as the rest of us. What spelling mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭mindundalk

You've lost me there kid. Are we talking about the same dig/joke as the rest of us. What spelling mistake?
    me too!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Right thats it, I went to newry the other day to the Quays, went clothes shopping with the desire to buy as opposed to looking and the prices were just the same if not more expensive than in Dundalk, I compared the prices to Dundalk, and they were looking 50 sterling for a okish shirt in river island newry, went into FJ murphys on park street and got a designer shirt for 30 euros thats about 25 quid.

I think with the all the bargains I got in dundalk compared to up north just makes the whole ''newry is cheaper'' phrase nothing but an urban myth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

So you bought yourself a cheap shirt in Dundalk and as a result everyone should stop going north? Get real and compare like for like. The vast majority of items are much cheaper in Newry than they are in Dundalk, but if you want to kid yourself and think you are being patriotic by allowing local traders to rip you off then who am I to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pink Boots

TommyT wrote: »
    So you bought yourself a cheap shirt in Dundalk and as a result everyone should stop going north? Get real and compare like for like. The vast majority of items are much cheaper in Newry than they are in Dundalk, but if you want to kid yourself and think you are being patriotic by allowing local traders to rip you off then who am I to stop you.

I think that it's not just a question of one great deal on a shirt in Dundalk that should make people shop locally. Certainly if it were an isolated incident I'd agree with TommyT. However, Stephen just gave one example of many great deals here in Dundalk. And I feel he conveyed this in the last sentence of his post which read:

"I think with the all the bargains I got in dundalk compared to up north just makes the whole ''newry is cheaper'' phrase nothing but an urban myth."

In my shopping experience I too have seen the benefits of shopping locally, purely from an economic perspective. Definitely when it comes to purchasing items like clothes, food, music or books I would stay in Dundalk. The exchange rate in the North is not great and the shops charge the same if not more in euros. Alcohol may be a few cents cheaper in the North, but when you consider the cost of petrol to actually get there it's not worth the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bumbletumble

I am from the north but live and work in dundalk... I go up to my parents a few times a month and i have never really see the big deal of shopping in the north to tell the truth.... i think the only time you really see the difference or benefit of shopping in the north if if you are buying in bulk and i mean really in bulk!!! i think everyone was to used going into the closest shop and just lifting what they wanted without really looking at the price... if you are willing to not going for the closest thing to hand and shop about you will still see the benefit of shopping in dundalk... I hate shopping but if putting in that wee bit more time means that i am going to save money at the end of the day then i am will to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tiffmister

Now with greece practically on its knees and ready to be bailed out thats gonna make the euro even weaker. BIG TROUBLE FOR THE SHOPPING

tiffmister wrote: »
    Now with greece practically on its knees and ready to be bailed out thats gonna make the euro even weaker. BIG TROUBLE FOR THE SHOPPING

How does it make it big trouble for shopping?
    The op of this thread is how the economy is devastated by shoppers going North, witht the Euro weakening it only puts the sterling prices back to how they were a few years ago, which in turn is better for the likes of Dundalk and Drogheda that are struggling to compete in a market not of their own making.
    Yes the Euro is weakening and prices of goods imported from outside the eurozone may start to cost a little more but exports will increase as the Euro will be seen as better value as a weaker currency.
    Hopefully if prices of imports do start to rise, it may encourage more people to buy Irish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

I'm still convinced we're being ripped off here and things are still cheaper up North. Fair enough it's not worth travelling for just one item but most things are cheaper.

New release DVD £14.99 Vs €19.99
    New PS3 game £39.99 Vs €59.99 -69.99
    Beer 24 cans Carlsberg £12.99 Vs €24.99

Even Aldi or Lidl beer not that cheap, and if your buying in bulk even better value.

KFC or Burgerking Kids meals £2.99 Vs €4.99

As for clothes you only have to look at the shop with the 2 prices on the tags (£ & €) to see how we're being conned. A dress my OH was looking at had £40 / €65 on it. What a joke!!

I'm still convinced we're being ripped off here and things are still cheaper up North. Fair enough it's not worth travelling for just one item but most things are cheaper.

New release DVD £14.99 Vs €19.99
    New PS3 game £49.99 Vs €59.99 -69.99
    Beer 24 cans Carlsberg £12.99 Vs €24.99

Even Aldi or Lidl beer not that cheap, and if your buying in bulk even better value.

KFC or Burgerking Kids meals £2.99 Vs €4.99

As for clothes you only have to look at the shop with the 2 prices on the tags (£ & €) to see how we're being conned. A dress my OH was looking at had £40 / €65 on it. What a joke!!

Lots of "non essential" items on your list!
    Every single one of those items is taxed at the higher rate in RoI, these will always have a bigger differential to a shopping basket of "essential goods" ie bread, milk, butter, cheese etc.

The government gave a small concession to alcohol in the budget, due in full to the cross border shoppers. Lenihan as much admitted it during his speech.
    As for junk food like KFC/Burger King - it should have a junk food tax as well! Ireland has one of the highest rates of childhood obesity and the adults aren't far behind.
    Don't get me wrong - I love a bag of chips but in moderation and I wouldn't mind spending a few extra euros if the tax was going towards the health service.

I avoided the 'essensials' such as bread & milk as this is a no brainer with clear savings to be made. Fill your trolly in Iceland then see how much you'll get here for the same money.

And clothes are not an essensial ?

I avoided the 'essensials' such as bread & milk as this is a no brainer with clear savings to be made. Fill your trolly in Iceland then see how much you'll get here for the same money.

And clothes are not an essensial ?

"Essential" -It's in my post!:D Beware the spelling demons have been on this thread.

I wouldn't shop in Iceland, I prefer fresh food to frozen.

Some clothes are essentials. Underwear, jeans, jumpers, school uniforms.
    There are plenty of retailers that have reduced the mark up on clothing.

Lets be pedantic about it.

A dress at €65 is €51.02 ex vat
    A dress at £40 is £34 ex vat

Im using the old vat rates as retailers are passing on the discounts at point of sale and have not changed price tickets (this will roll through as new stock comes into stores)

Then apply the exchange rate to £34, using a rate of .84 (while the rate is .87 this morning, don't forget to apply the bank commision on exchange rate and the rate it is willing to give.
    So the dress is now going to cost €40.48 ex vat
    How are you going to get to and from Newry? Bus? Car? Add another €5-€6 for your transport. (its about €10 in diesel for me from Drogheda)

Then park in the quays- assuming you shop in Iceland you wont get reimbursed from Sainsburys. So you stay for just over an hour so thats £2/€2.40 to add to your dress.

So that dress is now costing €48.88 ex vat, (€56.01 inc vat) as opposed to €51.02 ex vat (€65 inc vat) in RoI.

Go buy that dress, it's a bargain!

• Advertisement

Spoken like a true Dundalk shopkeeper. But you'll not steal my dosh!!

Advertisement