Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in bed

Options
  • 19-11-2009 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Having seen a couple on tv with their dog sleeping in their bed, what's the thinking of having pet dog/dogs in one's bed? Would it eventually just think it's his/her bed and take over? Are their health implications as well as hygiene?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 redhead82

ok, i love dogs, but sleepin in a bed with someone? That's just wrong, think of the fleas and the slobber! No, definitly unhygenic, there'll be hair everywhere and they will take over, even if it's a little fella, he'll claim the bed as his own after a couple of nights of sleepin with you. It's really hard then to get them into a routine of sleeping on their own. Definitly wouldn't recommend it.
    I let my dog sleep in my bed the first night I got her cos I knew she'd be scared on her own in a strange place but you're better off just laying down the rules as soon as they come into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My dog wont settle in a bed, I have had him down once or twice while staying in my parents but he wants to go back to the kitchen and his crate after a few mins.

We do bring him up for a while on a saturday or sunday morning, but he messes and tries to get under the covers, or robs the nearest sock/tshirt/slipper and hits you with it to get a game. I tend to let him into the room when I want my OH to get up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Most dogs dont have fleas by the way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

redhead82 wrote: »
    ok, i love dogs, but sleepin in a bed with someone? That's just wrong, think of the fleas and the slobber!
    Most dogs don't slobber and if you look after your dog it won't have fleas.

Yes, some dogs are much dirtier than others and I would be less inclined to allow a long-haired dog into or onto a bed. The JRT we had growing up was routinely into and onto the beds, though she never got to sleep the whole night - only if someone was having a lie-in or was sick or whatever. She was perfectly clean.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I used to take our CKC to bed with me when I was a kid, but she never stayed there all night - it was usually till I just fell asleep and then my parents would take her out to put her to bed in her own bed. She really loved our beds - I remember coming home from school one day to find 'someone' in my bed. When I went to have a closer look it turned out to be the dog. She had gotten into my bed, put her head on the pillow and lay like a human in the bed! She was a house dog, so I didn't mind her being in my bed. The yard dogs, now, would be another matter. Don't think I'd like them in my bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We occassionaly let Tilly into our bed, mostly when my BF is away or am in my mothers house. she starts off at bottom of the bed and is always between us under the duvet when we wake. woke up one morning and she was under the duvet with her head on my pillow. got a pic as well very cute.

she is very clean, I wouldnt let her in if she was outside all day and dirty. she doesnt have fleas! she is a clean house dog! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Always slept with my dogs on my bed. Sharing a bed with 3 giant dogs in the middle of a Canadian winter is nice. :)

Little bit of dirt never hurt anyone, if anything it builds up the immune system so all you "ewww, gross!" people need a bit of a reality check.

My dogs also never thought they owned the bed, nor became suddenly disobedient to my commands, so that's bullcrap too.

Last but not least, my dogs don't really drool (unless there's a big, juicy steak involved!) or have fleas, so that's 3/3 down.

I never saw a problem with it and never will, as far as I'm concerned my dogs always have a place beside me, on foot or asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I love having my dog on the bed-if shes clean though.

She alternates throughout the night between the bed and the floor when she gets too hot. She knows her side of the bed (seriously) so generally its cool, unless i accidentally kick her and she gives the obligatory growl and sigh and shes on the floor in a huff for the rest of the night :D

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

When my Oh is away the pup sleeps on top of our bed.... He is clean and still obeys orders so dont see a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Saturday is sheet changing day at ours so in the morning the dogs are allowed to come in for a cuddle. Monty is straight under the sheets, he's always sleeping under blankets and pillows but Kula is such a big lump its quite a squeeze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Libby slept on our bed until quite recently. She's an indoor dog and is clean with no fleas so I would have no problem on that front. The problem was, she would start off at the bottom of the bed and then make her way up during the night. You would wake up sweating like a pig and then realise you have an 11kg breathing, snoring fur coat on you!

I got her a comfy bed, put it beside us on the bedroom floor and started getting her to sleep in it. It took a few nights, but she is totally used to it now. She is allowed up on a Sunday morning for a treat, but that's it.

Although if we leave the bedroom door open, we come into find her sprawled Cleopatra style on my hubby's pillow - never mine, always his!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We let our dogs up on the bed during the day and if we are in bed at night but they sleep in the kitchen - the OH brings them down last thing at night. Our sheets are changed regularly so there is no dodgy doggy smell. We have had them up in the bedroom with us a few times (Halloween being the most recent), most of them sleep on the floor (their beds are brought up too) but one in particular sleeps on the bed and is like a super hot water bottle! He gets so warm in the middle of the night that one of us usually moves him to the bottom of the bed or the floor.

If all of our dogs slept in our bed there would be no room for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I honestly don't buy the argument that it's unhygenic. My dog's slept on my bed with me since she was a puppy and she's seven now. She has the option of sleeping in her own bed or on the floor even, but always chooses to be with me. I don't allow her on the bed if she's wet or mucky and she never has fleas. Each to their own, I totally understand people who don't want their dog in the bed with them, but I love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

SarahSassy wrote: »
    When my Oh is away the pup sleeps on top of our bed.... He is clean and still obeys orders so dont see a problem.

My god, what a beautiful puppy! Will you still let him up there when he's all grown up, though? You should really start as you mean to continue, or it'll confuse him... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I always let our dog sleep in the bed,only so i wont be the only one begging in the bedroom:D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

SarahSassy wrote: »

Ah, it's so nice to hear your OH is clean and that he still obeys orders. It's no wonder you don't have a problem!!! Lucky you SarahSassy.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

YOURFACE! wrote: »
    Saturday is sheet changing day at ours so in the morning the dogs are allowed to come in for a cuddle.

OMG that's weird, I have the same routine!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

lrushe wrote: »
    OMG that's weird, I have the same routine!!! :D

Yeah, we do the same. And it saves us feeling guilty when we don't get up early to bring her for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Ah, it's so nice to hear your OH is clean and that he still obeys orders. It's no wonder you don't have a problem!!! Lucky you SarahSassy.

Thanks - hope that wasnt a note of sarcasm I detected. My point is that Im happy to have him there and thats fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Sarcasm, why SarahSassy... of course not!

We are all on the same side here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't know what the big deal is with having them on the bed, unless the dog has just rolled in a load of poop. The majority of dogs don't take over and start claiming it as theirs.
    Our pup can't coz he's so small and the beds very high with not much space for a run and jump so if he were up on it he'd easily hurt himself if he fell off but he's just a foot away from me in his crate.
    When he's better housetrained (he still chances a pee on the beds) and has stopped the chewing up bits of toys etc. he can go into the other room if he likes where there's a lower bed.

Advertisement