Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night shooting tips (foxes, rabbits..etc..)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

great idea ivan re the lightforce and the IR filter with the night vision. might try that some day. If I can ever get past the glare issues I am having with the scope mounted 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Valmont wrote: »
    Anyone ever made a hat out of the foxes they have shot? Even keep the hide?

My father uses a fox pelt for a mat in the hallway, Has made plenty of hats out of rabbit pelts there grand and warm in the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi kerryman12 I had the same problem with glare in my scope mounted 170 and eventually solved it by getting slightly higher mounts for the scope,only raised the scope 2 mm but that was enough to do the trick.I tried other things first like covering the mod but the higher mounts were the best solution

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Thanks Marlin, I will keep that in mind. I think we solved it duing the week. I was using a camo moderator cover and my brother covered it with a old black sock - immediate improvement.
    If the issue is still there I will look at the monunts next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DKiLLA

Another good tip for lamping is the lamp you use,make sure it only has a direct central beam with no flair from the sides a good way of doing this is cut a piece of drainpipe and duct tape it to your lamp to extend the beam and remove any side flair away it seem to keep the targget locked in the light,I've lost more foxes and rabbits with bad lamps because the slightest movement with side flair has them gone in a flash;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 masterblaster2

i have a .17 hmr myself and the most accurate ammo by far was the 17 grain hornady ballistic tip bullet.i tried federal, remington, winchester and none of them came close to the hornadys. fairly expensive round though

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

mark.17hmr wrote: »
    Hi lads... I am looking for the different ways of calling foxes, best way to lamp them and all that sort of stuff...
    I shoot using a .17HMR.. Got is as my 1st rifle a few weeks ago as an all around rifle... Didnt want to jump staight into a .223 with such little experience but will upgrade in time...
    Im looking for all kinds of advice on shooting rabbits, foxes etc at night and the best callers, effective ranges and yer experience of night shooting.. The best type of ammo to use for the HMR in yer opinions...
    Thanks lads
    Mark...

How did the lamping work out for you so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭clivej

DKiLLA wrote: »
    Another good tip for lamping is the lamp you use,make sure it only has a direct central beam with no flair from the sides a good way of doing this is cut a piece of drainpipe and duct tape it to your lamp to extend the beam and remove any side flair away it seem to keep the targget locked in the light,I've lost more foxes and rabbits with bad lamps because the slightest movement with side flair has them gone in a flash;)

Another way to do that is to use a plastic flower pot. Works well because it's got a tappered shape to go over the lightforce lamp housing. And the duct tape to keep it on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I used to use part of the leg of an old rubber boot to keep the beam central

Advertisement