Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel back in the day.

Options
  • 15-11-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about the shops and buildings around Clonmel back in the day.I was thinking of current shops/buildings,trying to remember what was there before.Delvins/Binchys..now its Easons.There was a hardware shop across the road called Boyds.[ if I am right ].How many here would know where to go if I said I will meet you at Sheila's corner,or below at the Black Rock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

DT100 wrote: »
    I was thinking about the shops and buildings around Clonmel back in the day.I was thinking of current shops/buildings,trying to remember what was there before.Delvins/Binchys..now its Easons.There was a hardware shop across the road called Boyds.[ if I am right ].How many here would know where to go if I said I will meet you at Sheila's corner,or below at the Black Rock?
    My mother used to bring me to the Black Rock to see Santa.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sheila's I remember well but don't know where the Black Rock is.

I remember when Quinnsworth used to have a restuarant attached to it with the enterence just off Gladstone street.

I remember when my dad had a music shop (MacEgan Music) beside Sutton (seeds?), a general hardware store.The shop closed and Suttons became the Allegro which in turn became McDonalds.

lots of memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

Hearing all those names brings back some great memories.I would remember all the places mentioned so far except the "Black Rock"

A lot of great places have gone likes the Clonmel Arms,Dick's Deli,Billy Gibb's pub,Mattasa's chipper,Burkes Bacon,The Market Tavern to name but a few

Ahhh, Mattasa's chips...wonderful :)

I used to see Santa at the side of Dunnes Stores hardware store at Oakville.

• Advertisement

The Black Rock used to be in the narrow st where game stop is now I think,I had some good nights in Billy Gibbs pub and the Market Tavern.

tippspur wrote: »
    The Black Rock used to be in the narrow st where game stop is now I think,I had some good nights in Billy Gibbs pub and the Market Tavern.

GameStop is on the corner right? I think that that used to be the Knocknagow bookshop (on Mitchel street).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Ah yea, Suttons on Gladstone Street!! Blast from the past. I wasn't aware of the Black Rock either. Sheila's corner is well known. Some things change, others never. Exhibit A: Floods!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I've said to people,and they don't believe me,that there was a previous incarnation of KFC in the building that was the ESB offices and is now Menari's. This would be back in the late 80's. Does anyone remeber.

And Wrixon's pub,now a card shop I think.That was a nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I remember KFC being there...and Wrixons was a great spot.The Market a Tavern reminded me of Macs Tavern o' Connell street which became Barry's bar / nightclub.Ah..Bill Gibbs...it used to be the Gladstone Arms.I remember a pub called the savoury club....I think it may have been before the Gladstone Arms.The Horseman was where Paddy Power's betting shop is now...Morans of Parnell street used to be Paddy O' Gormans...the pool,jukebox and the fire.Where the office is now used to be Gerard's at one stage...Kate Ryans was the Jetset once I think....I cant recall what it was before that.The Clonmel Arms was a great spot in the 80's....the Gate music bar..and Gidea park nightclub.Think it was the Mike Barry video disco before that.Who remembers McGowans on the davis road...where the Greyhound is now.It is manys the fine pint I had in Phelans..where Sean Tierneys is now....after that pub crawl I need a drink..

• Advertisement

I remember KFC being there...and Wrixons was a great spot.The Market a Tavern reminded me of Macs Tavern o' Connell street which became Barry's bar / nightclub.Ah..Bill Gibbs...it used to be the Gladstone Arms.I remember a pub called the savoury club....I think it may have been before the Gladstone Arms.The Horseman was where Paddy Power's betting shop is now...Morans of Parnell street used to be Paddy O' Gormans...the pool,jukebox and the fire.Where the office is now used to be Gerard's at one stage...Kate Ryans was the Jetset once I think....I cant recall what it was before that.The Clonmel Arms was a great spot in the 80's....the Gate music bar..and Gidea park nightclub.Think it was the Mike Barry video disco before that.Who remembers McGowans on the davis road...where the Greyhound is now.It is manys the fine pint I had in Phelans..where Sean Tierneys is now....after that pub crawl I need a drink..
    the Mike Barry video disco,fcuk me:)I remember my father used to drink in Phelans while the Mother was out shopping on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ponster wrote: »
    Sheila's I remember well but don't know where the Black Rock is.

I remember when Quinnsworth used to have a restuarant attached to it with the enterence just off Gladstone street.

I remember when my dad had a music shop (MacEgan Music) beside Sutton (seeds?), a general hardware store.The shop closed and Suttons became the Allegro which in turn became McDonalds.

lots of memories :)

I'm only 19 but I remember Binchy's before Easons, was in there a few times!

Also wasn't 'Burgerland' in between Allegro and McDonalds?
    I Love Tea wrote: »
    Hearing all those names brings back some great memories.I would remember all the places mentioned so far except the "Black Rock"

A lot of great places have gone likes the Clonmel Arms,Dick's Deli,Billy Gibb's pub,Mattasa's chipper,Burkes Bacon,The Market Tavern to name but a few

Dick's Deli's, felt like it was around for years!
    cml387 wrote: »

And Wrixon's pub,now a card shop I think.That was a nice spot.

Now Hallmark isn't it?

Great idea for a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

Ah Dick's Deli, the NICEST colesaw and Potato Salad this town has EVER seen and Dick was a gent aswell, It is sadly missed in town :(

I never know that it had closed until this thread....

When I worked in town I'd get a ham salad roll almost daily. I loved the way that if you didn't get a fork you had no way possible of eating it.

And the potato salad.....simply wonderful.

I guess Irish towns are well on their way to becoming shells mush like many in the UK with the loss of small commerces such as Dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ponster wrote: »
    I never know that it had closed until this thread....

It's been closed for a number of years now.

The whole mall is a shell of its former self imo.

I've heard that it's supposed to be closing down, only rumours though.

Oh well..... we could always bring Woolworths back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

No you are correct, now that Golden Discs have moved out there are no internal stores opened in there so its now closed with only Connollys and the Newsagent operating from the front units. You can't even use it as a shortcut to walk around any more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Years ago, I worked in Clonmel.

Clonmel Arms Hotel every thursday night was a date.
    Got to know a woman who worked in Allied Irish Bank in the Arms.
    Married she was - great times though.

Phil Carrolls pub, Gerry Chawkes, Mulcahys were the drinking pubs back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

hinault wrote: »

Phil Carrolls pub, Gerry Chawkes, Mulcahys were the drinking pubs back in the day.

D'arms is closed now, as as we speak it's probably under 4 foot of dirty river water. Phil's, Chawkes and Mul's still going strong however. Though he was getting no business in Danno's, the club above Mul's so now it's pretty much closed. Opens the very odd night I think. Some waste of a good venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

D'arms is closed now, as as we speak it's probably under 4 foot of dirty river water. Phil's, Chawkes and Mul's still going strong however. Though he was getting no business in Danno's, the club above Mul's so now it's pretty much closed. Opens the very odd night I think. Some waste of a good venue.

nice one.
    good to hear that those places are still busy.

• Advertisement

Remember the murals in Quinsworth,featuring photographs of shoppers and a self portrait of Bobby Ballagh (looking a lot like Gerry Adams, i always thought).
    This was a reference to Ballagh's paintings which hung in the hotel that was originally on the site of Quinnsworth.
    The paintings can still be seen in the town museum.

Had forgottern all about them actually and never imagined that they could be seen again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

hinault wrote: »

Thursday was a great night to go out....I often went to Larkins hotel,which is now Fennessy's hotel.Ken and Dom used to play there.AH...the Arms...I can still smell the smoke from the fire,it always seemed to fill the room.Then there was beatty's on Gladstone street,which became Looneys and than Powers.I can even remember the uniform the ladies wore in Woolworths...and some of them wore them wellStill on O'Connell street,there was a record store called Deck 1...after that it became a wool shop.Moving up the street to where Lifestyle sports are now was Winstons,which later became Bradys electrical store...a little further up,to where the chinese takeaway is..across from Hackett's bookies...there was a chippie called the Caraway...a radio station in the west gate.Other shops that come to mind are the punnet,which was across from where easons is now,and Lowerys...a hardware shop...I am not sure where that was.Watching MTV USA in Muls on a sunday afternoon was always good.I must go now...I have to meet a lass from woolworths..we are going to the pictures at the Ritz....maybe get a cone at Redmonds on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Didn't dick get cancer or something horrible like that.

Dont know how they made money as the sambo's were huge.

Didn't dick get cancer or something horrible like that.

Dont know how they made money as the sambo's were huge.
    I saw Dick lately and and he was looking grand,he is enjoying his retirement and lives just up the road from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Great thread! My mam used work in Dick's Deli - The free rolls at lunchtime! :D

Beside Phil Caroll's, there was a short lived pub whose name escapes me (could have had "legal" theme).
    It was short lived because of it's notoriety.
    It's been derelict since then (early nineties).Anyone ever drink there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

cml387 wrote: »
    Beside Phil Caroll's, there was a short lived pub whose name escapes me (could have had "legal" theme).
    It was short lived because of it's notoriety.
    It's been derelict since then (early nineties).Anyone ever drink there?

Yea the bar was called "Harry's Court" it closed around 93 I think and has been derelict since although John Ryan used it for a while to sell his antiques from.I've a feeling we'll see that bar open again in the near future.I remember doing a gig there during the fleadh cheoil in 92. It was one mad place ran by a mad owner :)

Harry's Court was a dangerous place from what I've heard.there used to be another pup in Parnell st a long time ago called ''the Cider and Bun'' I think it was a bakery and pub combined.great name though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I remember the under 18s Cidona discos in the Clonmel Arms. They were lethal! - people taking drugs, having sex, fighting...the lot! I remember them saying there'd be a foam disco on and there was great excitement over it. According to a friend who went to it, they had meant styrofoam. :(

Advertisement