Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Irish Cycling Photos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

This one catches the eye - good way to deter aggressive bus drivers on the N11 maybe...

2911094735_774656072f.jpg
    Irish Army issue BSA

I was in Square Wheel in Temple Bar last week, and Kieran has an old Irish Army bike in for repair at the moment. It's a total rust heap (theatre prop, afaik) but a fascinating specimen in the flesh. That one has a holster for the rifle butt down by the bottom bracket, and the rifle lies along the down tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

There was a thread in this forum in the last six months or so with some photos from the 1960's of cycling commuters in Dublin, can anyone please link it? I've search under photo, photos, photography, but cant find it.

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I was in Square Wheel in Temple Bar last week, and Kieran has an old Irish Army bike in for repair at the moment. It's a total rust heap (theatre prop, afaik) but a fascinating specimen in the flesh. That one has a holster for the rifle butt down by the bottom bracket, and the rifle lies along the down tube.

It's not in too bad of shape at all, given its age.

The bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/4169336439/

Detail of riffle storage: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/4170099708/

And quite a nice bell mechanism: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/4170101092/in/photostream/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Dame Street (with thanks to @Al Wright for posting it here)

99478.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

A couple more from @Al Wright (thanks).

Dame Street
    99520.jpg

O'Connell Bridge
    99521.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SleepDoc

Wonderful photos. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

If anyone's curious about the source of the photos posted by Al Wright, see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's forgotten now, but in the 1890s and 1900s there were fleets of teachers cycling across the country teaching Irish and poultrykeeping and horticulture and all kinds of subjects. The bicycle, then, opened up the country - people whose parents had scarcely left their home parish were now able to cross the country from end to end.

Are the two lads in the newsprint photo by any chance Michael and John Walker, who won medals for Britain in the 1912 Olympics (but then climbed the flagpole at the medal ceremony, took down the Union Jack and put up an Irish flag), and who fought in the 1916 Rising?

By the way, if anyone comes across an Elswick Ludlow "uppy", tell me; a friend who bought it in the 1940s had it stolen a while back. (He's now 92, but his son was riding it still.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the sheer number of cyclists back then was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

From the Limerick City Museum - "Pedal Power by Shannonside"
    http://museum.limerick.ie/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/56024

Bit blurry, must try to get my hands on a paper copy :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

The back of the photo says, "around 1963"

P1020250.jpg

Riding shotgun with the stick.
    The girl and the big lad were neighbours from Czechoslovakia, the Lanchas. The guy in the dark jacket was also a neighbour but I cannot recall his name right now.

Advertisement